Planing my first trip to Red Lake

• Anonymous

Im planing on heading up to red lake in the middle or end of march curious on what the action has been like . Does any one use jiging raps up there on those slabs and jumbo perch . And also what about these glow spoons that I have been hearing about . I live in NEIowa and how can I get a hold of some of these glow spoons. Any info or input would be greatly appreciated

Anonymous

Buzzer,

Here is a link to some of those Glow Spoons . I hope it’s what you are looking for.

Anonymous

Buzzer,

For starters, here is EFN Pro-Staff’s Sean Colter’s latest report from Upper Red. Sean fishes Upper Red Lake quite often and read his reports and follow them because he puts you on fish.
    http://www.fishthelake.com/fishing_reports/index.asp?id=531

I have gained some real confidence with various jigging spoons for crappies on Upper Red Lake as a search tool. Meaning that I like to use the erratic action of a small glow jigging spoon to call fish into the area and have a dead stick rod with a minnow down just in case these crappies think that the spoon is too much for them at the time. Most of the time these crappies up here are very oppotunistic feeders and will feed shortly after encountering your lure. Those are my kind of crappies!
    The glow willow spoons are definately worth a try up there. Tip the treble with some scent either a minnow head or a waxie or two. If you order some willow spoons from EFN online store here, be sure to ask for a sample of a new scent that will definately help up here on Upper Red. The scent is called Kick-N-Bass scent. So far, several staff members here have experienced very good results when times are tough or fish are finicky!

Anonymous

Hey guys thanks for this info exactly what Ive been looking for what size willow spoons do you prefer and do you replace single hook with trouble hooks and as far as kicknbass Ive already got some from Ecnook to try I will have to try it out never used it on other species except bass. Thanks Again and keep me up dated I look foward to your future reports. Keep a Tight Line Tesar

Anonymous

Buzzer,

Hey as the trip gets closer I will get an accurate report for you. Each day it seems that the fish are on the move and the bite changes from day to day, at least for the hot spots. The bite as of late has been spotty, but it seems to be getting consistently better.
    As the weather warms up which hopefully it will, the bit normally gets good, I will be going to Red frequently over the next month and will have a better idea on spots, so keep in touch and I will try to put you on fish.

Anonymous

Thanks again guys for this info it is greatly appreciated Keep me posted on whats going on and I would like to learn a little more on Rainy River the post seem pretty dead when does this walleye run start. Also I would like info on Minnisota and Canada fishing Licsenes and what it is going to cost me to buy out of state Licsenes . Thanks Buzzer

Anonymous

Buzzer. have been to Red a few times this year and can offer the following words of wisdom.

There is a convenience store in Blackduck, south of URL, where you can get just about any type of jigging spoons you want. They have oooodles of lures, just as what is currently working.

The Red bite can be extremely tough. Someone twenty yards from you can be getting a limit while you go fishless. MOVE, MOVE, MOVE if you are not catching fish. The weather can make moves tough, so, by nightfall, be confident in the area you are fishing. It is very possible that you will catch few fish as that is the way the place works.

Jumbo perch on URL? I beg to differ. They are small to say the least. If you want jumbo perch drive down to Winnie and fish the morning bite and head to Red for the late afternoon/evening bite. The thing to notice about the perch bite is, when they stop bugging you, the crappies are moving in. Get ready because the big schools come in mass.

When you first URL crappie comes through your hole you will not believe the size of the fish. Nor the tenth fish. They are all pigs. That is what makes URL special.

Minnesota non-resident license is $35.00.

Best of luck to you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.