heading to red

• wallygator
    cohasset mn.

well im off to red lake , to rip some lips hopefully going to try the kickn bass garlic scent will let you all know the results when i return tonight

DONOTDELETE

I’ll be looking for a nice positive report! I just e-mailed Sean “Mr. Winnie” about coming for an extended ice fishing foray late February and a couple good reports of those Red Lake slabs will seal the deal for me!

Best of luck and I hope the woman in your life is understanding about you smelling like garlic for the next week…lol

wallygator
    cohasset mn.

well just returned from a very unimpressive trip to red lake the fish were just not cooperating , the norm up there this year so far is if you get lucky and land in them , some people are doing ok if not its a long ride home , i think the sno coming in must have had some effect cuz noone around us or even people we talked to at the gas station in kelier that went out different places were going home with nothing , i have only been skunked there a few times in my fishing days and this was one of them , although i got a half a dozen perch and a whitefish woopie lol oh well even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work ! hoped to have better news but thats all i can give you , i cant imagine that the numbers of fish are down after the last few years of thousands of people fishing everyday there but there is lots of good fishing to come there

Anonymous

Where were you fishing out of? You’re right, it’s pretty much hit or miss up there. I was up 2 weekends and did really well. Went out of West Wind about 4 1/2 miles. Fished the outer edge of the shanty town. How mobile were you? It sounds like that is the key, although I was pretty lucky as a buddy of mine had his shack on the fish. KNB seemed to work pretty good during the lull periods, I’d manage a couple here and there while my buddies we only getting perch. When they were on… it almost really didn’t matter what you had down there.

Anonymous

Both Saturday and Sunday…Jerry at ROgers reports a number and I mean a number of groups coming off the lake with there limit. Yet it is hit and miss for others…This was the first real sign of Life on the South end….Looks like the numbers are still there and they are bigger than ever. The North end had a decent bite this weekend as well….Numbers of anglers reported limits there as well…Well its getting to be that time of the year…Oh those red Lake crappies are huge this year. If you haven’t done the Red Lake thing yet….you may want to plan a trip this year…as it may not recover after one more year of pandimonium……

Anonymous

Sean,

See you this weekend up there! Any hot baits better than others? Anything glow? Spoons? Jigs? Minnows, waxies?

Can’t wait……

wallygator
    cohasset mn.

well sat was a bit more impressive on red as we did manage to get some , although we limited our catch not catched our limit lol , we caught about 20 eyes and a half a dozen crappies each , we tried to get a couple hundred yards away from a heard of people which usually works well but it seems that the people in the group did better than us as most of them caught there limits before dark go figure , at least we had fun and the weather was nice

Anonymous

Steve-

Demon jigs were the ticket.. #4’s. Red glow got most of the action, with green glow coming a distant second. NO jigging produced any crappies…. I just dead sticked the demon and watched the vex. My other rig was a fathead on just a plain red hook, under a bobber. They were light biters, and any jigging motion and they’d be gone.

One thing I did notice that they came in waves. the action would start of with perch, and then maybe a couple ‘eyes… but the crappies would follow shortly thereafter.

Oh course…. this was 2 weekends ago…. so the info above could be old news!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.