Lake Vermilion

• Anonymous

Fished Vermilion from Thursday to Saturday w/ some luck. Fishing was OK in the morning, slow in the afternoon and good in the evening. Most people were catching fish in 30-40′ of water, we found some larger fish in 20′ or so. Key spots seemed to be narrows. Some males were still milking. Fished in snow on Friday night-brrrrrr.

All in all, good trip, lots of fun, fishing should be great by Memorial day.

Anonymous

Any current reports on the Big “V”? Heading up there tomorrow night. Thanks in advance. I’ll let you know how we do.

Mark

Anonymous

Where are you staying-my old man is going up this weekend and will do some fishing between beers with old friends?

They will be on Big Bay between Everts and Bayview.

One spot that is a must try this time of year-esp w/ a full moon, is a small hump right outside of Evert’s bay. It is actually in Big Bay, just past the 2-3 islands that protect the opening to Everts. It is a 6-8′ very rocky hump that comes up out of 18-22′ of water. At night time or on windy days, this spot is dynamite for good size fish. If you are in the area, I can look at getting you the GPS coordinates. Otherwise, the reef in the middle of Big Bay east of the 3 islands including Potato and 2 others (if you see a map you cant miss it) always has a good morning bite.

Here is a report from a local bait shop:

The walleyes have moved to the reefs. A lindy rig with a red hook and no beads is the hot rig to use with a leech or crawler.

Crappies are being caught in 8-12 feet of water using small crappie minnows on a jig or plain hook.

For northern pike your best bet are bucktails or jerkbaits over the weed beds.

Smallmouth bass are on the weedlines and rock piles. A jig tipped with a leech and plastic tube baits are catching nice size bass.

——————
    Northwoods Bait & Tackle
    218-666-2639

Anonymous

daveb, thanks for the info. We’re staying in the pickup camper, wherever we decide to park it. LOL!! Haven’t picked a spot yet. Know of any? As far as where we’ll be fishing, it will be mostly all over the east side of the lake. We’ll definitely be trying Stuntz Bay, Everett’s, Greenwood, and the rock pile east of Potato Island. I had good luck at all of those at the beginning of June when I was up there. We’re leaving at 3:00am tomorrow morning. Thanks again!

Mark
    [email protected]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.