URL Direction Advice (from Twin Cities)

• PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

A group of us are heading up to URL this Thursday, leaving from Hopkins area around 4:30am. That said, I typically take 169 up through Grand Rapids and than Hwy. 2 to Hwy. 46. It looks like the weather may be less than ideal for driving. Are there any other routes that anyone recommends? I am debating the idea of taking 94 up to Clearwater than Hwy. 10 to 371 and on up to Bemidji as the roads look to be larger, but I’ve never taken that route.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Your route is best…There are certainly a couple short cuts you can take but with the weather your route would be best…(I tpically go up through Remer on Hwy 6…) RR

tenchi

Yeap I take that route too..to me the bigger the street the better I’m gonna be off…for sure everyone wants a safe trip there and back…

kidfish

From the east side of the cities, take I-35 to highway 73 in Moose Lake, then to hwy 2.
    The faster alternate to 371 is following US 10 to Motley, then taking MN 64 north through Akeley and then on to Bemidji. 64 seems to move much faster than 371, so it could save you some time. Fewer towns to go through as well.

Zach H

Quote:

From the east side of the cities, take I-35 to highway 73 in Moose Lake, then to hwy 2.
    The faster alternate to 371 is following US 10 to Motley, then taking MN 64 north through Akeley and then on to Bemidji. 64 seems to move much faster than 371, so it could save you some time. Fewer towns to go through as well.

X2 on that! We just got back from URL and we took this route. The trip seemed like the lake was just out my back door. Traffic flow was extremely smooth. 371 is loaded with small towns and I would avoid that road like the plague.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Well, we decided to try and get ahead of the bad weather and are going to make the trek up to Bemidji tonight. Either heading up 10 to 71 or 94 to 71 depending on the snow.

Good news is we get to sleep in tomorrow morning and get more fishing time!

hawkeye27

FYI I called up to JR’s today and no one is plowing the roads do to the 50 mph wind. He said they will see what tomorrow brings and may start plowing again. Tomorrow they are calling for 20-30. Sure hope they will plow tomorrow we will be up shortly after noon….

muskiefever
    North Metro

Any reports on the bite? I can’t decide on devils or url this weekend.

hawkeye27

Slow for us but our bubbies 50 yds away killing em.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Heading up on Monday, any advice? Did you try for any Pike on tip-ups? Thought we would stop in Blackduck for minnows.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

We ended up getting lucky Thursday and got into a couple day houses at West Wnd, was slow action but brought in 2 limits. Followed that up Friday with better luck filling our limit and a cople dozen fish. Friday was lights out for my house (80+ fish) and good for our buddies 50 years away (30 fish). We were Putin the portables and did a little hole hopping, but ended up fishing mostly out of the Otter. Didn’t target the pike at all so I don’t have much to report there.

All in all it was a great trip, definitely going back last year.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.