Upper Red Lake Report 12/28/13

• sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

I have had a late start to the ice fishing season but I have to also pay the bills to buy fishing equipment! With my weekend work over and the holidays at bay for a while I couldn’t hardly stand myself. I made a quick call on Thursday to my buddy up at Red Lake and he was in route to his cabin! SCORE a place to stay! Upon his arrival he started doing some calling and within a couple hours he had a personal friend that said I could use his ice house on Saturday! SCORE again! I got on the horn and drummed up a couple of my favorite teenagers and the plan was to take the CAR up Friday night. Yes we took the car! This could be the cheapest trip I have ever done going north.

We loaded some gear and hit the road Friday after work and made it up to Waskish by 9pm. We had a couple adult beverages and hit the hay. Saturday morning brought us drizzle and cold weather knocking at our doorstep. The house was located at Red Lake Adventures down Kansas City Road. I was able to drive the car from doorstep to ice house door without a problem. We were fishing by 7:30 ish and it was on! I wouldn’t say the day bite was fast and furious but it was enough to keep you interested. We were in about 9-10 FOW and the lucky lures of the day were anything glow and orange. Most of the day the fish did not like aggressive jigging and preferred a bobber bite. The best action was between 4-7pm. We were able to land all of our fish on Saturday as planned and headed home in the morning. The cold front was brutal but bearable. The wind is such a big factor out on the ice! Coming off the lake Saturday night was not for wussies! Especially in a car…..

Enjoy the smiles on the kids faces!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Looks like a good trip. Orange was a good color for us as well.

That wind Saturday afternoon and night was crazy. -29F Sunday morning when I started the truck at 8 a.m.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Great report and pics!

We fished out of Hillmans Saturday and we had to really work to get our bites. The mobility of a portable really helped. We would get 1-2 bites in the first ten minutes after a move, after that the fish were really tentative. We moved about ten times and ended up keeping eight for the two of us and probably released another 10-12 fish. 10-12 f.o.w. We headed out at about 3:00, that wind WAS ridiculous!

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

we also fished out of Hillmans fri and sat fri nite the bite was very good but slowed sat afternoon when the wind started blowing rattle reels seemed to get most of the bites with gold and white and a thanks to buddy hillmann
    for plowing a spot for our wheel house.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.