url wheel houses

• mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

thinking about heading up to url this fri morning can anyone tell me if any of the resorts are allowing wheel houses out of there accesses

jsrevermann
    Central MN

Here is what West Wind posted on their Facebook page.

West Wind Resort
    21 hours ago via mobile
    Not much has changed since the last report. Even with the cold weather we are not making much ice under the snow. We still are finding 12 to 14 inches of ice. The roads are looking good out the 2 mile marker. We plowed out some new area to the North and will have plenty of wheel house parking. The snow still limits off road travel and with ice conditions the way they are we do not suggest it with a pickup. We are only allowing smaller vehicles up to 1/2ton trucks and single axle wheel houses. Stick to the roads and do not go down blocked off areas. They are blocked for your safety! Also keep the speeds under 20 mph.
    The walleye bite has been on and off from the weather. One day it’s hot all over the next day is slow. One day has a good bite over night and the next day it’s at sun down. When we get some stable weather the bite should even off. Yesterday had a great bite around 4-6 pm using a red rattlin flyer and a shiner. The fish are almost always around and many anglers graph them but have a hard time getting them to bite at certain times of the day. Once it’s feeding time, they get much more aggressive. 8 to 10 ft of water is where most anglers are now and doing their best. Merry Christmas!

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

We just got back a couple hours ago, we went out of Roger’s using Portavilla. Roger was pulling out a big skid house as we left. Speed is the important thing as they will remind you. Fishing was excellent for us, lucky to be heading back up Saturday.

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

thanks for the reports we will be heading out fri morning

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Fishtoeat,

Did you see a lot of big wheelhouses on the lake?? How much ice did you experience? I have a 1ton diesel and 20 ft house and am wondering if guys with these size setups are around or not??/

Thanks for any help,
    Matt

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

There were alot of wheel houses, even the 8 man that come in two sections. I know up to the north, Beacon Harbors area is having big problems with getting houses out. We were in an area that had alot of broken ice underneath the ice, so I never did measure thickness. We actually had to move ice from the bottom of the hole to get fish up and down, never had that experience before. Give Roger’s a call to verify, he did have a crack that developed as I was leaving and he was going to bridge it soon.

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Thanks!

Matt

Olie
    Durand, wi

Check out jr’s access

matthewkolden

The lake is still very uneven. I moved three times last weekend. Once at West Winds in 8 FOW I measured 14″ of ice. Then at JRs corner, on center bar in 14 FOW I had 13″ of ice. Ended up at Rogers, 1.5 miles out with 20″ of ice. The guy 200 yards away from me had 14″.

It varies a lot. You have to contact the resort you plan on going through to know if you’re good to go.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.