Limit of Red Lake Crappies

• jsrevermann
    Central MN

Caught a limit of crappies on Red Lake yesterday. We were fishing out of Greater Minnesota Rentals.

Fishing in the big house was slow, so I grabbed the Otter, and Strikemaster and started punching holes looking for fish. Followed a line of rough ice and started punching holes. Came into some dirty ice and caught one crappie and then it was quiet for a while. I was getting cold, got the Otter setup and it was game on. Heater ran out of propane but couldn’t hardly get a chance to change the tank. Every time I would reach to grab the heater another crappie would show up.

Then it went quiet for a while; got the tank changed on the buddy heater just in time for another round.

Ended up catching 12. Fish measured from 9- to 15-inches. Had an absolute monster under the hole and then she turned to make a run and the hook popped out.

Was good to see about 3-4 different year classes. Caught these fish from 3:00 to 4:00, and then they were gone; caught a couple walleyes after that and then headed back to the big house.

We ended up keeping 9-walleyes, 6-perch, and 10-crappies for five guys. Only caught one fish over 20, and had a bunch of little ones that we tossed back.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Please oh please let them stage a comeback!

cookie
    waskish minnesota on upper red lake

earlier this year I drove from hillmens to rodgers across the lake. I saw atleast 5 spots I figure A guy may have a chance at a crappie. But wow did not expect to see a limit. A very reliable sorce Kenny’s cusin said Kenny is up to 8 for the year. That dirty ice is a huge indecator.Back in the day as it got dark they would stop biting but during the day under that dirty ice was huge.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Interesting read, would have not thought we would see a report like this. Good work.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Awesome find and great luck, man I hope they come back strong. Although I would like to see a 5 fish limit if they do to ensure the quality and quanity of fish remain for many years if they ever do come back like they used to be. Great report and thanks for sharing, man would I have liked just to be up there and see those fish coming through the ice its been a long time since I caught a crappie on that lake.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.