Red Lake Report by Outdoor Authority

• ODA

Fishing was tuff so we moved houses to the pre-fished area. We were on fish good all weekend after the move. Some houses were off the mark just a little so we moved some houses around and all houses are catching fish. It seemed the chubby darter would bring them in and the dead sticks would catch them. At this point nothing is working better than the rest. shinners are starting to heat up as a hot minnow. I am currently using a plain hook, chubby darter and a blue glow with good results.

Where we have the houses ther is 16″ of ice. We were able to bring out the biggest house on the lake today. It was exciting to get it off shore and on the lake and get in it. We broke the big house in the right way for its first night on the ice. We called everyone we know that was on the lake and held a huge fish fry in the big house. We had over 15 people in it eatting, drinking and talking smart, with all of us having plenty of room to move around the house.

stevedobie
    Central, MN

Great Report. Thanks

ODA

Have been hearing a lot of fish stories of the big pike that got away. That was not the story for Andy today. He landed a 40″ Pike. We also had a 36″, 38″, and a 39″ northern landed this week. Sure is fun hearing the stories of the the big pike that was landed or got away.

ODA

The last week the fishing slowed down for us. Al and Mike went out in the portables and found the fish and so we moved the houses today. The fishing wasnt limits for everyone but they are putting good numbers of fish in the bucket to bring home. Plain red hooks sitting 3 to 4″ off the bottom have been good along witht gold and red hooks. The Shinner bite slowed down and fat heads have been doing better.

ODA

This past weekend was a slow bite for most of the houses. Causing us to spend a bunch of time in the portables searching for the active fish. We picked up two limits in the portable and moved a few houses to the area. One house landed 18 in two days and the other 15. Its not a great bite but they were catching fish. We moved the houses again today and found a little better bite. The hot color is green plain hooks and if they want a jig its gold.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the updates! Keep ’em coming.

ODA

The weather last week sure shut the fish right down. Even with the tuff fishing everyone went home with fish in the bucket. This week we are slow allowing plenty of portable time trying to find the hot bite. Gold has been working best with a touch of glitter. Dead sticks are still the top producer with yellow green plain hooks. We are looking forward to having Ben up from the IDO team this weekend.

ODA

Last two weekends have been a good consistent bite through out all the houses. Last weekend renters down sized and picked up more than the guys not down sizing. Plain red hooks have been the best tipped with a fathead or rainbow. The smaller the minnow the better. Jigging hasnt been that hot but it has been bringing in the fish to hit the dead sticks. Still fishing 3 to 10″ off the bottom.

On another note while down sizing tackle one house picked up 3 10″ crappies in a day. Could this be a sign of a younger class of crappies coming up?

ODA

The past few days have been good to us. My self and Al stayed home and fished out of the hard sides. Al did better than I did landing a limit and a few smaller throw backs. I on the on the other hand only managed two keepers and no throw backs. Yesterday as Al went out scouting I stayed in the hard side and messed around with lures and drop rigs. I did manage to find something both the perch and walleyes like and its a SLENDER SPOON with either a bro blood worm, or plain red hook tipped with a fat head. Its just a blast watching fish that earlier wanted nothing to do with a jig come in look at it and take it. I ended yesterday with 6 eyes and two 12″ perch.

fredrod
    Iowa

I am heading up to URL for the first time with my son, best friend and his son. Any suggestion for our first time?

cookie
    waskish minnesota on upper red lake

make sure you set the hook, If you get a bite check your bait, Stay away from crowds and have a grand time on such a grand lake

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.