Pike?

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Assuming I’m allowed one dumb question a day, here is today’s………….

I know Red is known for large Pike in the summer. Do any of the places who rent houses set-up specifically for Pike in the winter or is everybody doing Walleye & Crappie? If they fish Pike through the ice are they rigging with large suckers? If so is there someplace locally that sell them? Last, are the houses up there set up as over night houses or just day houses?

OK, so maybe it’s more then one dumb question.

thegun
    mn

I have never fished the lake but mskyfshngtchr is a good friend of mine and he has fished it a number of times and he has targeted pike! from what he has told me they have done pretty good on some nice fish! sounds like the lake is pretty much a bowl and the fish can be anywhere and every where!

maybe hell chime in!

good luck…

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

I’m by no means an expert- just have fished it once a year for the last 3 years- always between Xmas and New years.
    I go with 2 other guys and we will run from 1-3 tip ups most of the time. No mobility- just set them up by the shack. We stay in sleeper shacks. Stay right on the ice the entire time.

I have fished both the south and east side of the lake. The south side has been clearer water- in my experience at this time of year.

I don’t think it matters where most shacks set up- they are in pike country. The lake is pretty much a bowl. The pike seem to cruise and follow the walleyes, crappies and perch.

Yes, suckers work well and the bait shops all seem to be selling everything you need. Although, don’t be surprised to nail one on a walleye/crappie rig either.

Run your baits at various depths. We normally are fishing in 11-13 FOW and will run baits from the bottom to about 5′ under the ice. Last year we caught our bigger walleyes on the pike tip ups and suckers about 2-3′ off the bottom. Best depth for pike has generally been around 4-6′ off the bottom.

No 40+” pike yet for me, but we have got some quality mid to upper 30 inch fish on every trip. Sure adds to the excitement after catching those little walleyes.

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

I have boated several large pike on red with a 42and a half my personal best which was released to fight another day, most of these fish have been caught while fishing walleys in the summer but I have also caught them in the winter on tip ups placed around the perm shack on suckers I have also caught pike on tipups in the winter just off the firt break most of them on the small side

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.