Looking for update on Rainy River

• jasonhoerter
    Minnesota

Last year was our first trip to the rainy and it was incredible. We plan on leaving next week and fishing April 7th-10th. This warm week of weather will melt quite a bit of snow. Our hotel is booked and I’m wondering if these dates will work or should we wait until the next week.

walleyedaddy
    MN

That would be great to get a Rainy update for next weekend along with if it would be feasible to get a 620 in there by then.
    thanks

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I think you’ll be in fine shape. I definately wouldn’t wait.

sturgeonator

Ramps are open from Birchdale to frontier as of today.

Northeast MPLS

We were up fishing all day sunday 3/27 and until 2 on Monday. The lake fish hadn’t started showing themselves while we were there, talked to some friends who fished this morning and conditions hadn’t changed.

Water is very clear with very little current, as of Monday, we caught fish, no big numbers of large fish good numbers of resident fish to be had, mainly 17-19 inch fish with low to mid twenties here or there. I am sure with increased pressure the river fish will get less active yet if one continues to work you should be able to stay on fish throughout the day, sturgeon are always an option as well.

We were fishing strictly plastics and fairly aggressively, yet did really no better or worse than those using meat and remaining vertical.

Hopefully once the overnight lows begin to climb we will see an improvement in water temps which can ignite the migrational wave of fish. Daytime highs have been good, but the single digits at night seem to be off setting the warm day temps?

Warmest water temp we saw was 36F maybe 37f today from what I’ve heard. Very little snow on the ground up there, so runoff not much of a concern now. We just need to get those fish heading up priver so i can quit obsessing about this darn river, it’s driving me crazy!

Hope this sheds al ight on current status for you, I am bypassing this Sun, Mon for another week unless I here of some significant change the next two days.

Good luck and have fun.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

We were up fishing all day sunday 3/27 and until 2 on Monday. The lake fish hadn’t started showing themselves while we were there, talked to some friends who fished this morning and conditions hadn’t changed.

Water is very clear with very little current, as of Monday, we caught fish, no big numbers of large fish good numbers of resident fish to be had, mainly 17-19 inch fish with low to mid twenties here or there. I am sure with increased pressure the river fish will get less active yet if one continues to work you should be able to stay on fish throughout the day, sturgeon are always an option as well.

We were fishing strictly plastics and fairly aggressively, yet did really no better or worse than those using meat and remaining vertical.

Hopefully once the overnight lows begin to climb we will see an improvement in water temps which can ignite the migrational wave of fish. Daytime highs have been good, but the single digits at night seem to be off setting the warm day temps?

Warmest water temp we saw was 36F maybe 37f today from what I’ve heard. Very little snow on the ground up there, so runoff not much of a concern now. We just need to get those fish heading up priver so i can quit obsessing about this darn river, it’s driving me crazy!

Hope this sheds al ight on current status for you, I am bypassing this Sun, Mon for another week unless I here of some significant change the next two days.

Good luck and have fun.

What a fantastic first post!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Good luck and have fun.

Wow….Amazing river report. Thanks. We are leaving on Weds staying until sunday.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.