Annual Trip

• dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

We have a large group headed to Ballards on Friday for 2 days of fishing. Any reports from there or another close by resort will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dino

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

fishing has been good around zippel bay and long point….early morning and late afternoon are the hot times….the ice is getting thicker around here by the day with temps being sub-zero in the evenings. I havent personally been to either, but have many friends who insist they’ve been catching their limits!

bam_bam

there’s a chance for some nasty weather up here this weekend….they’ve posted a winter storm watch for tomorrow….-30 windchills, 4-6 inches of snow….be careful if you guys go!!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks for the report Marcus. Only 13 days until I come up to Zipple. Is there much snow on the lake now?

bam_bam

there’s about a foot of snow on the lake, but it’s been blown around pretty good…hard to say where all of it’s gunna be (besides being piled up against my house )

fritzzz
    hudson

i spent dec.27-30th fishing zipple bay area ,pine island and long point. we hammered fish every place we tried.we didnt get any pigs but it was a blast anyway. lots of 12-16″ers. we fished from 22″-28″ of water and caught about 50/50 walleye to saugers. biggest walleye was 22″er. caught a half dozen lawyers.my roommate caught a 32″ 16lb. pout!!! freakin nasty!!! we stayed at twin rivers, it was ok…
    fritzzzz

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

We had 49 guys gather at Ballards for this years trip. We had 11 houses that were set up in 28′ to 30′ of water for the weekend. Fishing was good. Most all houses were able to pretty much fill a pail each day. The largest for the group was 4 1/2 lbs. There were a handful of walleyes in the 2 to 3 lb range. Most of the sauger had to “cross the pail” to be kept. We even had some in the 16″ range. The large perch were showing up also. Our house had a couple between 13″ and 14″. Throw in a few ‘pout and whitefish and it was an interesting weekend.
    The weather was quite a treat. Whiteout conditions on Saturday morning slowed the Bomber drivers very little. We were out fishing by 9. Sunday we had a crisp -19 and some wind but it was nice in the fish houses.
    Monday morning , the drive day , started out to be -29. As we got closer to the cities it warmed up to a balmy -2.
    Thats Minnesota! You gotta love it.
    Dino

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

Another nice perch.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

This was one of those improbable catches. This fish actually bit , it was not snagged. The ice buster bobber had even been shortened which makes this quite a small walleye.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

Even pout give up a good fight , at least until you realize there is not a nice walleye on the end of your line.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.