Just got back from the Rainy River!!!

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well this was my 4th trip in 3 years. My first ever tip I got up there before Birchdale opened and Had to fish Pelland area. Still managed 20 walleyes in 2 days but I wnd back for more on the last day of the season and really slammed ’em. Last year we did great boating over 100 walleyes each day and really had fun catching sturgeon.

This time, I spent the last 2 days in the freezing weather and didn’t manage a bite. I lost more jigs than minnows. I asked a guy that was putting his minnows in his bait well if he kept his receipt because he may want to take them back. We heard 1 report that a group caught 40 fish on saturday. That was BS. I was up and down the river and watched every boat and saw only 1 fish caught. The water was high and the current was very strong. The water wa a little dirty but not Choc milk by any means. The ice on Big Fork and Little Fork looked to be holding strong.

I have been reading reports online about some if the seasoned veterans from up there and they didn’t seem to have any idea why the fish weren’t biting. I think that they weren’t there. The lake fish haven’t made it up that far yet. The current was probably twice as strong as I’ve ever seen it and I think that is making the swim up from the lake that much harder.

EVERY local that I talked to waid the fish aren’t up yet. One told me that his buddy was slamming the walleyes by the mouth by LOTW.

Here’s the only pictures I took. Each morining was flirting with 0 degrees and the ice that was produced overnight on the river made it near impossible to fish in. The pee hole on the motor kept freezing shut. I had to keep poking out the ice in order to run the motor.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the report. There was a lot of water in the ditches up near Rainy this past week and I was pretty sure the river was going to be high and dirty. Hopefully the bite improves.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Thanks for the report. I’ve got my fingers crossed that the river conditions improve by Friday……

Walleyeman1

Wow, sounds like some brutal conditions and a lot of work to catch some walleyes. I think I’ll just stick to Pool 2 for now.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the report. There was a lot of water in the ditches up near Rainy this past week and I was pretty sure the river was going to be high and dirty. Hopefully the bite improves.

Any bite would have been an improvement. We even tried pretty serioulsy for sturgeon. Not a bite…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Any bite would have been an improvement. We even tried pretty serioulsy for sturgeon. Not a bite…

If I was heading up in the near future I’d cart the ice gear along just in case the river bite continued to be slow and the river conditions ugly.

jslsfish4u
    Cold Spring,MN

Thanks for the report. Hope to get up there with the gang on Thursday or Friday. Hope the river warms up.

joeblow

I am heading to the river on Sat. I’ll be heading though I-Falls Does anyone have some names of a few bait shops that I may stop by…. Anything would be great… Thanks

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

Look for bait locally or on the way depending on where you come from.The bait has been tough to come by around I falls and Baudette.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.