Who’s planning to make the Rainy River Run…?

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I know I’d like to. I do think timing this spring is going to be tight with all the snow northern Minnesota has piled up this winter. My guess is the “run” will be very short lived… once the river opens up to boats things should wrap up quick once all that snow starts to melt.

For those that have made this trip more often than I… what are you predicting for this spring? Any guesses on when we’ll see the first big boats east of Clementson?

And for those that have never hit the Rainy in the spring, here’s an In-Depth Outdoors episode from last April. Good times!

See more IDO Fishing Videos!

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

I’m in…..rumor has it all the early snow kept the ice from getting real thick on the river. I’m hoping it’s open at Birchdale by the end of the month, and the plan is to be gettin’ jiggy wit it the the first weekend in April.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Last year the opposite was true. The ice was incredibly thick due to lack of snow cover and it seemed like it was never going to go out. I sure hope it goes out early enough that guys get a good crack at it before the mud starts to run. I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to fit a trip in or not. But I’m sure going to try. Last spring was WAY too much fun.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

It was, I don’t know if I ever remember the shore ice being that thick! It’s definitely a timing thing, once the ramps are open and the water is clear, GO! don’t wait for a nice day or the weekend, once the Forks let go it’s done for awhile. Hoping that doesn’t happen…..here’s to a nice slow melt.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Some of the shoreline ice just downstream from the Birchdale landing had to be 3+ feet thick and as clear blue as the sky when it first went out.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

The Chucker is in like Flynn…this is waht i know so far

Monday, March 09, 2009
    Open water remains 40 miles to our East, this side of Loman at approximately mile marker 170. Birchdale sits near mile marker 157. Daily temps have been in the upper 20’s with night temps in the teen to single digits. We’re expecting a couple weather systems to move through the next few days which will bring more snow

Water levels coming out of IFalls remains at a steady level. Ice thickness is approximately 12 inches of frozen slush on top of 12 inches good ice.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009
    We got cold and snow the last 2 days. Once we get through the next day or two we’re supposed to warm up, according to the weather man That will hopefully get things moving again. We all know once the river gets a good start it can open miles at a time.

Here’s a quick history of dates when 1st boats were launched at Birchdale Landing (boats over ice)

2004-March 22nd
    2005-March 24th
    2006-March 17th
    2007-April 1st
    2008-March 28th

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Just spooled up my reels yesterday…I cannot wait for this trip….

jrl
    dodge co., mn

with this warm wheather, the ten inches of snow they had last tuesday, and all the snow they already had i have a feeling the first weekend in april is gonna be to late. i’ve been trying to get an update on the open water progress the last two days with no answers. if there’s any locals out there let us know. for some reason clementson has updated since last wednesday. i guess if it is muddy i while be using my ice gear again, after i just got my open water poles spooled up yesterday

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was told Clementson’s is having trouble with their website and will be unable to have updates for us. He told me why but I’d rather leave it at that. Kind of a sticky situation for them. They told me to just give them a call and they will be happy to give an update.

jrl
    dodge co., mn

ya, i read another site that they were in a conflict with this certain site i was looking at and for some reason it was screwing with clementson’s website therefore no updates on the progress of open water. the posts were deleted about an hour after i read about this conflict, so i guess i i’m not sure what’s going.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Open water now 6 miles east of Birchdale. Looks like the open water season is just a few days away…..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What’s the latest on the Rainy? I would imagine things have to be getting awful close to Birchdale.

Sportland Bait

I am looking forward to hitting the river again this spring. Last year was so good we were spoiled. I’d like to try some ringworms up there. What colors do you guys recommend for the Rainy?

Jason Erlandson

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I checked the river out on my way home last night. I checked the access just East of Baudette (is that Birchdale?). Anyway, I walked out on the ice and couldn’t see any open water upstream. I didn’t drill a hole, but it looked like good and thick ice still. Hope that helps.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I am looking forward to hitting the river again this spring. Last year was so good we were spoiled. I’d like to try some ringworms up there. What colors do you guys recommend for the Rainy?

Jason Erlandson

Last year the fish were all over bright colors like chartreuse orange core, chartreuse pepper, etc. I’m sure anything yellow, chartreuse or orange is going to catch fish but those two patterns I listed above were the best for us last April.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks bigfife. I’m heading that way… to ice fish. I have an open water itch to scratch and I’m hoping I can catch this bite before the river starts to roll high and muddy.

jrl
    dodge co., mn

james, it’s open at franze jenze, open on the east edge of birchdale rapids, manitou rapids is good to go also for sliding across the ice with smaller boats. if they get the rain later today and tommorrow that their supposed to bidrchdale should be no problem later tommorrow or tuesday for sliding boats across the ice at birchdale. yesterday we decided to stick with our original plans and wait till the april 1st. that’s 9 more days for that thing to bust wide open and possibly turn to mud . or could continue to open nice slowly and all we will have to deal with is the thousands of boats out there at that time. i hope we made the right the decision, but if i was you i would definitely have my open water gear with

jrl
    dodge co., mn

birchdale is at mile marker 156 which is quite a ways from baudette. most likely you were in the vidas area or even closer yet to town. not sure what is there just on the east edge of town, i’ve never used them. let’s hope this thing keeps opening nice and slowly

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

heading that way next Friday…..heres to nice slow melting

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Mini….stay positive.. I think your going to hit it about perfect. Big boats should be in at Birchdale in about 7-9 days which would put right about April 1st….Once the boats get into the river really helps break loose a lot of the ice, making the river open up sometimes 4-6 miles a day if not more…

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Leaving Thursday 3/26 till Sunday 3/29, Going up to Lake of the Woods out of Birchview Resort to do some Ice Fishing. Any reports on how the bite is?

jrl
    dodge co., mn

seen some pics of some nice females coming out in the pine island area, guessing their getting ready to hit the river. bring a boat to, the river will be ready then

jrl
    dodge co., mn

i’m trying to stay positive, just goin nuts sittin around home all’s i can say is rain rain go away come again on like april 16th or something

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I want to go on Friday. Can anybody tell me if I could get my car to the birchdale ramp and not get stuck? Cal any thoughts?

jrl
    dodge co., mn

sounds like the county isn’t going to be busting out any ramps this year. so you’re probably gonna have to call up there before you take off. landing looked sloppy today but it’s supposed to cool down quite a bit for the rest of the week, so maybe the top would firm enough for the car. clementson resort or the royal dutchman would have info for you.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

I think the county says that just to get our blood pumping a little…..they’ve cleaned that ramp for years I’m sure they’ll do it this year.

Small boats over shore ice today at Birchdale…..won’t be long now!

joeblow

I sounds like there are some guys out there fishing today and it was very slow, but that can change very fast like

jrl
    dodge co., mn

it would be fine with me if they let it open naturally, alot less boat traffic if you have to push across ice

joeblow

I 2nd that Mini.. Birchdale is a zoo when the county opens it it up.. Not much fun.. Really will test your patience..

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I agree Mini, I’ve been going up there for 10 years and I’ve yet to bring my big boat. It’s just so much easier sliding the aluminum across the ice. No waiting in line! It’s like my guests and I are on the river by ourselves Because there’s no lines you can fish later and you don’t have to worry about wrecking something on your main boat. I look forward to this trip every year and the funny thing is my little boat usually yeilds me my biggest fish of the year.

This cold weather should help slow the melt. No one knows what the river is going to do for sure but I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s not going to get muddy until April 9th.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.