where to stay

• guild66
    saint francis

I am planning a trip to LOTW and am looking for some advice on where to stay. Has anyone stayed at spring steel? also is it better to rent a ice house or bring portables and such. I have never been there so any advice would be greatly appreciated

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have stayed at a place called walleye retreat several times. Nice cabins and great people. If you have a way to get around the lake ( Wheeler or snowmobile )you could go the portable route if not I’d take a package deal that includes days houses and transportation to and from them. Most package deals usually include bait as well.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Never been to Springsteel but I think there is a place called Bobs icefishing or sleepers over that way that is pretty good.Im going up next week and renting a sleeper at Zipple.Nice place good rates and good accomodations.Lake road lodge is also nice and reasonable as is Ships wheel and also Linders hideaway.There are plenty of others but these are the ones I have stayed at and would reccomend.Never hurts to have a portable to move around but with all the snow this year you better plan on walking or have a snowmobile along if you are going to get off of the beaten path.The NW Angle is also fun and you can drive up or take a sled up.We are going by sled up there at the end of the month.

guild66
    saint francis

i am not sure if we will have sleds or not we also my be bringing a wheel house but that is still up in the air

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have experience staying at Arnesen’s and Zipple Bay and I have been happy at both. We had a group of 8 stay at Zipple Bay’s Outpost Cabin and it was great. Its a huge cabin back in the woods. Their house are nice and you can drive right to them. My Uncle has a cabin at Arnesen’s that we use, so we stick with snowmobiles and portables. They have groomed trails all the way to the NW angle. They have track vehicles for travel to the houses and there is a private road if you want to drive out. I’m sure there are many more great resorts as well.

trickytackle

We stayed at Linders hideaway cabins 12/27/ thru 12/31/08 and found that they have great customer service, They operate out of Adrians access.

Tom and Deb are great people and work hard to put you on fish,there only request is leave the cabin in the condition you found it (clean) or you will be charged and not welcomed back !!

We fished over Pine Island off of Adrians Roads with great success.

I highly recommend using a snomobile up there as the roads are geting narrower up there with all the snow.

Nick and Deanna at Zippel Bay Resort also have great accomodations and have houses with deep and shallow
    options to fish in.

Have Fun and report back to us.!

guild66
    saint francis

thanks guys i will let you know where we decied to go and report on our trip

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Welcome Tricky!

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Hey Buddy welcome to the dark side See ya on Friday

packmann
    spring valley

i also have stayed at both arnesons and zipple. we are heading up to zipple t. we have decided to fork over the money to have a day shack with our shallow sleeper. we like the idea of being able to drive out and if we want go into town or go and shower. sure what ever you decide u wont go wrong your fishing and not working

russjudy
    Minnesota

Hi Tricky– is there a place you havent fished yet?

we have read all of your reports you send me and Judge Judy- there really interesting, even the reports on times you didnt catch fish but the other guy did;

hope you can put some of your reports here at IDO;; also thanks for using our rentals on Red when we were up there- The last season up there i wasnt much of a host, that hip pain just wouldnt go away

hope to see you on The Big Pond for the 2 big contests in Feb

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.