LOTW and Rainy River Ice Fishing

• mnbigfishonly
    Southeast Metro

Great few days on both the river and lake. Arrived Wednesday the 28th around 2 pm and got a couple hours of fishing in and caught 34 between 4 of us.
    Thursday – 9 fisherman with a total of 129 fish. We started on the river in morning and caught mostly larger eyes. One got a 28″ eye. Was great fishing. In the afternoon moved to the lake. Mixture of eyes and sauger – lots of smaller sauger.
    Friday – 9 fisherman with a total of 247 fish. Again, started on the river in the morning. Lots of keeper eyes. The picture is from Friday morning. Those are mostly eyes.
    Friday afternoon went back to the lake. Again, lots of sauger with eyes mixed in. Couple of 25″. I pulled in a 26″.

Pink and gold were definitely the way to go.
    Set lines worked best with just a plain hook and shiner.

One guy in the group has made this trip for 15 years and journals everything. This was by far the best trip he has had with 410 total fish (9 guys).

Hope this is informative and wish everyone luck.
    Can’t wait to hit the river in April -)

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Nice fishing trip! Thanks for sharing….

Hottest ice bite I recall in 30 years….

josh a

thats some geat fishing. any idea how the ice is out between garden and oak islands? going up in two weeks and always caught bigger fish out that way

mnbigfishonly
    Southeast Metro

I certainly believe that calling up and getting a ice report is the way to go. Adriens. Wig Wam. etc.

The ice was 15 inches or so on the lake and closed to full size trucks. We were shuttled out using small 4×4 truck. Others using 4x4s and snowmobiles.

The ice on the river was around 10 inches. I was a bit nervous when the small 4×4 came out to pick us up with all the cracking and creaking.

fishspike

Great Way to start of the New Year. 30inch. What a fight and girl friend caught a 27.5 on Saturday.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Great Way to start of the New Year. 30inch. What a fight and girl friend caught a 27.5 on Saturday.

Congrats on a super catch! What did you catch it on?

fishspike

Red Stop sign tipped with a minnow head. Dead stick with the lure about foot off the bottom.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.