Fishing, camping, and boating

• FlightBob
    East Central MN

Good eveining all. I am getting he itch to get outdoors and I have been trying to find a place to camp and fish. I know there are a lot of places that offer boat launches on the campgrounds, but I want to beable to pull my boat up on the beach next to my tent. I haven’t had any luck with google searching so I was wondering if anyone had any places, ideas or previous experiences with this type of camping.
    Thanks for any tips.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have you looked at the St Croix river. Lots of places from Stillwater north. The St louis river around Floodwood may be a option. The upper mississippi river is another. I know there are a few campsites on the river around Aitkin but think there are others along the entire stretch of the river.

FlightBob
    East Central MN

I haven’t. Are they private or just open lots on the river. I haven’t found a campground that offers what I am looking for.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

What type of lake are you looking for and what type of ‘campsite’?

lake Kabatogama is one that you can pull your boat up on the sand, but you are roughing it and have to find an open spot, but there are specified camping sites with fire rings, tent pads, lockers etc.

Mille Lacs has a few spots in Hennepin state park that puts you very close to the docks at the landings within the park)

Bear Head state park up by vermillion has some campsites close to single boat docks as well but no sand.

I prefer river camping myself on the Minnesota.

FlightBob
    East Central MN

Thanks for the suggestions. Those are what I am looking for. Specifically I am looking for a spot where I can leave my boat in the water at or within eye shot of my camp site. I don’t mind roughing it, but to have a site where I have either my own dock or just a place to tie it to shore and have possibly running water/electric would be ideal. I want my cake and eat it too you see.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Maybe not what you want, but you can camp on almost any island on in Mississippi..if you want “primitive”.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Most of the spots on the rivers I mentioned are what would be considered canoe camp sites. Small to mid sized boats would work on them to. They are rustic and most of them I have seen you beach the boat very near if not right in the camp site.

Think if you look on the MN DNR web site you can find many of them and many more.

dave53
    Altoona, WI

I had an opportunity to pre-fish Bemidji before the FLW tournanment a couple years ago and camped at the State Park there. A beautiful park. There were boat slips for maybe a dozen boats available and camping was only a short distance from the slips. There was a landing right there and a small bay where the slips were and then a short channel out into the lake. There was a very clean fish cleaning house near by and I found the bathrooms and shower facilities top notch as well.

I didn’t have my boat there as I was pre-fishing with someone who brought their boat and they were staying at a local hotel, so I didn’t use the slips, but there were several boats there. Don’t know if there is an adittion charge for the boat slip.

I had such a great experience there that I have a trip planned for for a week of fishing on Bemidji. My only concern is that last time I was there it was July/August. This time we are heading up in May and not sure what the temps might be like. I’m a tenter, so it might be a bit frosting, but I guess that’s what long johns are for.

This might fit your needs. Roughing it with a few creature comforts.

Dave

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Kab, Rainy, Namakan lakes all have great campsites – much like BWCA – only get to use your powered boat.

Oh, great fishing, too.

Dog

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I would highly recommend that you look at the National Parks we have in our state. Most if not all offer something similar to what your looking for.
    Here is a link to one campground in the Cass Lake area that has a few camp-sites that you can beach your boat with in view of your camp.
    Chippewa Loop-Cass Lake/Pike Lake

Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.