Boat lifts

• sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Hey all,

I’m looking at boat lifts for our place on Mille Lacs. Gonna head over to the Show this weekend sometime to price things out.

We need something to handle 2,500 – 3,000 pounds, boat 96″ wide, electric crank.

He called a guy that he’s worked with that sells Dockrite (???) and it looks like about $4,000 when it’s all said and done for everything including install, remotes for the lift, wheels for the lift, solar panel charger, and actually putting it in for us.

Anybody have any other recommendations on vendors to look at or people to talk to? We really need the electric lift as my dad’s 70 now and has some health issues and is up there a lot by himself. So those are the options we’re looking at.

Thanks for any help you can lend!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Both my neighbor and I have Shore Master lifts. Shore Station is another popular brand. Have you decided on cantelever or vertical? My guess on Mille Lacs you would want a vertical. Another popular option you didn’t list is a canopy? I don’t have one, but it would be nice to not have to cover your boat as often.

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Definitely vertical on Mille Lacs. Need as much water clearance as possible as on the east side it’s sandy and shallow. This year should be pretty decent but there’s many where a lift won’t even work.

Haven’t really thought about a canopy. I’d worry about it getting torn apart in a good NW wind….

khaire
    Coon Rapids, MN

I wouldn’t get one without a canopy. Putting the cover on and off of a boat that is on the lift is a pain! My Shoremaster canopy is 10 years old and still in good shape after all kinds of weather.

dbright
    Cambridge

Floe makes some nice lifts.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We’ve got a Shoremaster and a Hewitt, both cantilevers. I would get a canopy unless you plan on taking the boat with you. A canopied lift with no boat on it can turn into a kite. Ours got flipped over the dock in a storm once. Now, that canopy doesn’t go on until the boat is there.

Electric winches are nice. Our Shoremaster has one. It’s for a big pontoon, so not having to crank it by hand is awesome. Ours gets plugged in, so no worries about battery or battery charger.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Shore Station sets the standards for vertical lifts. Only go aluminum…do not even consider steel. If you are patient at all you can find one (or one of another make of your choice) on Craigslist for less than half price of new. Just check the thread on the canopy carefully. I had mine resewn after 21 years of use this winter (for less than $100).

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

We have 1 port-a-dock (vertical) with a canopy and 1 Hewitt (cantilever). I like both. One must have condition though – wheels! DO NOT buy one without wheels. Skids really suck. The port-a-lift had no wheels for the first 5 years. Bad idea. Like Ralph said, canopies are great, but do not leave your lift out long without a boat in it or it may be gone down the lake. Electric winch is very nice too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.