2 line open water bill

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Now Mike, don’t be so hard on yourself.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Your optimism in your fellow man bleeds through your words.

Have a great weekend boys, I’m going after some gills for an oil bath. Might even use 2 lines!!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

With two lines, such that if my catch rate would actually go up, I sure hope to at least catch some fish for one day. Still spending three to four days looking for fish on one line.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I have to make a comment on this subject. You can use two poles here but most just use one pole including myself. I don’t see alot of fish floating from overkill, in a heavily fished area where theres a backwash too keep the fish from floating downstream, theres just a few to maybe a half dozen in 3 or 4 days fishing and I suspect some of those came from single line users. I know when fishing trotlines I rarely get gut hooked catfish and I never get one fishing dittypoles, thier always mouth hooked. I know when theres a good bite, like when bluegills or crappies are on thier beds most people use just one pole, generally most people here think theres no sense in useing two when thier biteing good and I think one of the main reasons is most don’t want to take a hook out of a gut hooked fish. I think the rule of thumb here is if thier biting slow then two poles are good, when thier biteing good then two poles aren’t necessary and I think most fishermen here fish along those lines. Why would people be so diffrent there compared to here, I know I’m from Iowa and things occasionally do vary a mi-nute bit. I’ve never seen anyone who can use two spinning rods throwing jigs at the same time but maybe there is a few guys who can. If the bite was good over a bluegill bed or for crappies one pole would be easier to use then two, a good bite not mediocre. I think you’d have people at first using two poles because its diffrent and now thier able too but I think after time most people would go back to just one, especially when the bites good and its hard to fish with two poles. I think the mortality rate would go up in some areas but so small it wouldn’t even matter. When walking the lake shores here you see an occasional fish thats floating, even in the heavier fished lakes but just a few in a two or three block walk along its shore. Theres never any big game fish along the shorlines here, its always smaller ones. I don’t think things would be so diffrent there compared to here, why would it be.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

I agree with Mossy Dan’s take. Alot of times ice fishing if the panfish are biting well, I put my second line away because most of the times running two lines in that situation, you actually catch fewer fish because you will miss more bites. Also it’s too bad nobody fishes Wi. anymore because the use of multiple lines for years has decimated the fish population and has caused the effect of no fish left to catch.
    Walleyebry #993

sandmannd

Quote:

I believe that the DNR wants to keep the fishing for future years as good as it is now.

How in the world would two lines hurt fishing for the future. The one line law is ridiculous at best. I use two all the time on the rivers. Is the river fishery hurting? Sure doesn’t look like it. How’s ND’s fishery where you can use two, how about WI where you can use three? I get pretty tired of hearing that two lines means more limits. Really? Is a limit not a limit? Does it matter if you catch it in 2 hours or 2.5 hours? If you are a meat fisherman and rape the system of a limit every time out, you hurt the fishery much more than those that use two lines. If the fish are biting so great the second line comes in. I’ve been fishing the river for seven years and have friends who have fished it a lot longer.

I spent 24 hours in a boat with a good friend and true river rat for Recycled Fish last year. 2 saugers in 24 hours. We have been out and have had a double limit in 2 hours and sometimes less. That’s fishing, it’s humbling. I’m pretty sure we could have had four lines each in the water that day and not pulled up any eyes.

livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

I’m all for the 2 lines and agree a lot with mossydan. Just because you can use two lines doesn’t mean everyone will use two lines every time they are fishing. Ice fishing I rarely use two lines but having the option to use two, well thats awesome if I want to throw a tip up out or something. Same with open water. In most cases I see my self throwing a bobber out then casting a rapala if its slow. Or jigging for walleyes when Im catfishing. It would be nice to have that option. Theres will always be the ones that abuse the resources, 1 line, 2 lines or 20 lines..

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Even when on the river I don’t use the second line real often. More than anything the option of being able to use two is missed when I start on inland waters.Does it hurt the fishery? I don’t see how it does. I guess I’m good either way.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You cannot compare a river to a lake in the sense that a river can stand much more pressure than a lake. The fisheries are not comparable as far as their ecology is concerned.

That’s nothing more than a tip for when we are discussing the issue.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.