2 line open water bill

• cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Whether one is for or against it, it does not sound like it will pass.

I would love it for trolling and catfishing.

Sounds like the DNR is against it as they feel it would hurt the fish population to bad.

They also said if it did pass they would have to look very hard at maybe dropping the eye limit to 2.

All I reaally care is that they do the right thing to protect our resourse for the long haul.

JimmyJig

If the DNR is looking to protect the resourse they will not pass it!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Believe it or not, there are people in the State of Minnesota that don’t fish for walleyes.

I know, I know…it’s hard to believe.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Whether one is for or against it, it does not sound like it will pass.

I would love it for trolling and catfishing.

Sounds like the DNR is against it as they feel it would hurt the fish population to bad.

They also said if it did pass they would have to look very hard at maybe dropping the eye limit to 2.

All I reaally care is that they do the right thing to protect our resourse for the long haul.

As disappointing as that it is to me, I can’t really say much negative about the DNR. It’s not like when I was a kid. I don’t think the fishing resources have ever been better (in my lifetime).

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Believe it or not, there are people in the State of Minnesota that don’t fish for walleyes.

I know, I know…it’s hard to believe.

I call BS. Do you have proof of this?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Wade, I can use two lines on the river all the time. If I was limited to only one line per person, well that would mean there would only be half as many scaly bait stealers on the rocks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just in case there are some walleye guys reading this…I JEST!

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Those eyes are similiar to the others as they are both bottom feeders.

Only thing is, the flatheads beat the eyes out in the fight department.

I understand why you go after the big cats Brian and at times, those pesky eyes do try and steal the cat bait.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I thought I was going crazy so I had to check.

Nope…we did this last week.

Shortened Link<<

I’m still all for it though.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Brian You need to goto to walleye sensitivity training you are constantly being a bully against walleye guys I think there should be a law against this kind of insensativity

Scaly Bait Stealer

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Yep, you are correct Darren. Looks like my memory is fading and your is still a bit younger and better equiped.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Kirt, ever notice I don’t pick on your fish?

Most bass know to leave bullheads alone.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

umm……better equipped? LOL

I’ll be all for 2 lines next week too and the week after.

I’ve gotten way too caught up in this issue the past few years though and was pretty disappointed last year when Pawlenty vetoed the bill.

I still hope it passes, but I’m done with leading the charge (petitions, letters, Facebook group, etc).

gdickmeyer
    millelacs

they should pass it! I agree with brian and what he is usually fishing for.The dnr would just slap a special reg on lakes that they don’t want the two line bill to affect. (millelacs for example) Hey the dnr would probably make a nice chunk of change enforcing this law with the 150 page fishing booklet,people fishing two lines illegaly,and people from out of state.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I try not to get too caught up in it as I know it will more than likely go down.

Whatever they do is fine with me.

My bride says my memory is great its just that she says I have selective hearing and memory. I believe she is partly correct.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

If the DNR is looking to protect the resourse they will not pass it!

luds12
    Farmington

(quote)

Why is it that two lines in the water works on the river? How does three lines work in WI on their inland lakes? A limit of fish is a limit of fish, is it not?

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I agree eye. We all at times are looking for a law or rule that fits our style the best but I would rather see the best thing done for the resourse and the overall group of fisherman and women.

WE all cannot have it our way.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Why is it that two lines in the water works on the river? How does three lines work in WI on their inland lakes? A limit of fish is a limit of fish, is it not?

Don’t waste your time using logic in this conversation. It’s lost on most who do not support this bill. Somehow using two lines will exterminate all species of fish. Seriously, it will EXTERMINATE all fish from the state.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I believe that the DNR wants to keep the fishing for future years as good as it is now.

We may be able to go to the 2 lines for open water and in some cases I would like that also.

I knowthat many states on our border allow the use of more than 2 lines in their open water season.

But do they have the oustate fisherman coming to their state like Mn does? I do not know the answer to that but I am sure it brings in alot of added revenue for the DNR and it also puts some added stress on the resourse I would believe.

I do not want it to become a revenue issue but for the DNR and the resorts, it’s big business.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Don’t waste your time using logic in this conversation. It’s lost on most who do not support this bill. Somehow using two lines will exterminate all species of fish. Seriously, it will EXTERMINATE all fish from the state.

I’m still against it and you.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Kirt, ever notice I don’t pick on your fish?

Most bass know to leave bullheads alone.

Thats because they are not bottom eating trash fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Thumper…you forget I have a lot of underwater footage. Some of bass trying to steal my cut bait! I’ve never posted it out of respect for Kirt.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

(quote)

I think the fear is that while you are live bait fishing that while you are fighting 1 fish you are not able to watch the other line and that a fish may get gut hooked while you are not watching. The mortality rate is about more than the limit keep. The more fish caught per outing the higher the amount of hooking mortality. I guess I’m one of the few here who is against the 2 line bill. It kind of funny when you read someone here say fishing is about far more that just the # caught – but then get upset about something that is about nothing more than catching more fish

gary_wellman
    South Metro

The purpose of using 2 lines is to increase your catch rate.
    If you increase your catch rate, you increase your kill rate. If you increase your kill rate, you reduce numbers. If you reduce numbers, then limits go down.

Waubay Lake in SD is a good example of this with the perch population 10 years back.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Quote:

Using Logic I don’t think it will “EXTERMINATE all fish”
    but logic does tell me that more fish caught = more mortality. If you can fight 1 fish on one side of the boat while watching another one on the other side and also fight 2 fish at the same time if necessary – You are more skilled than most!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Quote:

Thumper…you forget I have a lot of underwater footage. Some of bass trying to steal my cut bait! I’ve never posted it out of respect for Kirt.

Us Bass fisherman appreciate that BK

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You made me smile.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Waubay Lake in SD is a good example of this with the perch population 10 years back.

I’m guessing the 50 perch per person limit had more to do with the new regulations than how many lines were being utilized. Then it was 4 lines during ice season as it is today. You and Suzuki are cracked!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yea, we’re cracked. Increasing the number of lines wont increase the catch and the selfish meat hogging morons that take advantage of everything and exploit their catches to the fullest with no regard for honorable sporstman, who likely still constitute the majority of fisherman, wont catch and keep more fish as a result thereby lowering the fish numbers everywhere and making successful fishing that much harder both for catches and size. Riiiiigggghhhtttt.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.