Rotten Boat Floor

• marmike

The floor in my Crestliner is getting a little spongy.

Any contact numbers or advice/recommednations for contractors who could replace the bad floor would be

welcome. I live in the Metro area.

Thanks,

Mike

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What part of the world is your boat at?

marmike

Sorry.
    Just added in my post that I’m in the Metro area.

jack conrad

Georges boat repair did mine last year .they are located on hiway 65 in Ham Lake.I was happy with thier work

jerry b
    western WI

Imperial Boat Repair in Hudson gets the nod from me jerr

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Hmm. What are the costs to a full redo of floor and carpeting? like $500. $50,000?

abra

You ought to just give it a go yourself. Redid a lund a few years ago, kind of fun. If old floor does’nt come out good enough for a pattern take a large piece of cardboard and scribe it. Can’t do it in one shot and it’ll take a little fitting but what the hey.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Hmm. What are the costs to a full redo of floor and carpeting? like $500. $50,000?

Yep……….$500 to $50,000 really depends on the boat and if you pull in with a 84 Chevy or a 2011 Navigator.

Bakkens boat repair south of Owatonna.

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

Quote:

You ought to just give it a go yourself. Redid a lund a few years ago, kind of fun. If old floor does’nt come out good enough for a pattern take a large piece of cardboard and scribe it. Can’t do it in one shot and it’ll take a little fitting but what the hey.

I did mine too and I am not a carpenter, I was very happy with the result.
    My biggest expense was the marine plywood. The carpet and glue came from Cabelas on line and I used stainless steel screws.
    I had about $500 in materials in the whole job. I had people tell me that it woulda run me about $3,000 to have someone else do it. The main benefit was that I knew what went into it and could upgrade anything I saw fit to do t the time.
    My $0.02

I think everyone should try it once.

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

I’ve done quite a few and it isn’t that bad. Do yourself a favor and check out the recycled polyethylene sheeting available at Menards. I did my 84 Lund with it the last time and never had to worry about it again. It will not absorb water or rot. Just make sure long spans are supported every two feet. It isn’t quite as rigid as plywood. Good luck.
    Jim

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I had my 1650 Lund Angler done 6 years ago and it is still holding up great. I did all the prep work my self and ordered the precut floor from Lund, I paid $100 for the precut floor which also had the base holes for the seats already pre cut, this did not include the deck just the main floor. I ordered the deck floor a couple of years ago but have not got around to having it done yet, the deck floor was also $100. IMO the pre cut floor is the way to go it’s a big time saver and it fits like a glove. I went with vinyl instead of carpet, Deco Dot Floor Vinyl in Hunter Green from Cabela’s. For the instillation I had Schoenmann Boat Works in Rochester install the new floor for me, they put a fiberglass wrap on the floor, this is something they do on all the new floors they install. If boat companies would do this in the first place we would never have the problem of floors rotting out. I would highly recommend Schoenmann Boat Works to anyone they do phenomenal work and have been in business for over 25 years.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Wish I had thought about ordering the pre-cut floor option when I replaced the floor in my ’97 Lund 1650 . It was not too bad and I think the total expense was under $500 for me to do it myself. Also, as previously stated, I was able to move a few things around since I was doing it myself.

marmike

Guy’s thanks for all the tips and photo’s too!
    Looks like we have some pretty talented guys on this forum.

Mike

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.