Boating, shelter laws

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I noticed a couple things that have changed for this year in the rules and regs.

Portable fish shelters don’t need to have you D/L or name attached to it. Just the sticker in a viewable spot.

I could be wrong, but I thought in prior years boats 17′ or more had to have a throwable floatation device. This year it’s 16 or more.
    The description of “accessable” is a little confusing to me. They state that the device can’t be in a “LOCKED compartment”. I’ve been warned that they can’t be in any compartment in the past. Just wondering why they didn’t list it that way?

I keep my throwable “cushion” attached via snap to the front compartment in the point of my boat. It’s out in the open and the snap keeps it in place so the wind won’t take it. In reading the regs. this may not make the “accessable” discription? (That is a question)

The last thing I noticed is that the inflatable Type V PDF’s are approved to be used as a primary PDF this year. (although, check the labels closely) With the improvments in their comfort, I think it maybe time to take another look at them. (PDF’s don’t do you any good when you’re in the water and your PDF is hanging on the boat seat!)

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

You have had to have a throwable preserver in any boat over 16′ in length for three or four years.

I once got a ticket for having my life jacket under my coat on my seat back. The DNR officer said it was not accessible. I tried to fight it but lost. Each officer’s opinion is a little different I guess. I still keep my jacket on my seat backs.

Gator Hunter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks GH, I must be mix up between 16 and 17. It didn’t indicate that it was a new law either.
    Was that MN or WI dnr? You must not have offered him a brewsky…I can’t believe that wouldn’t have been thrown out!
    I does say in the regs for the throwable device that it can’t be “under an anchor or ropes”.

It sure would be nice to have a CO on this board to answer questions. I guess I can see the anchor…but under a jacket? What’s the logic?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.