Outboard Preference (Merc or Yamaha)

• shady5

I noticed in a recent post that people were avoiding Lund due to the partnership with Mercury. Is it because people want options or are there reservations about Merc? I’m asking, because I am looking to buy and it is coming down to Merc and Yamaha (based on each having push button RPM control). Any input is appreciated.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I noticed in a recent post that people were avoiding Lund due to the partnership with Mercury. Is it because people want options or are there reservations about Merc? I’m asking, because I am looking to buy and it is coming down to Merc and Yamaha (based on each having push button RPM control). Any input is appreciated.

Dad and I are both running 2009 Merc’s and are very satisfied. I have had some minor issues with my Verado however it hasn’t kept me off the water to much and Merc has exceptional customer service.

I cannot comment on Yammi other than I had a 1992 Yammi 115 on my last boat and it was rock solid. I do know a buddy of mine is running a 4 stroke Yammi now and he stated he likes it but misses the Verado.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Imho they both make great motors, but you’ll need to be specific on ehat exact models your comparing, to get real good opinions. In general i’d go yamaha, but there are times and places for the merc’s.

shady5

I’m looking at 90 hp 4-stroke tillers

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have run a 115 Yammy 4 stroke since 2001…all I ever do from March through November is turn the ignition key…thats it! I have lots of days on the water…NEVER AN ISSUE WITH ANYTHING! I can’t comment on Mercs… but after this experience I wold be NUTS to switch brands…

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I don’t know bout 4 strokes but my two stroke merc 90hp has never let me down. It’s one of the fastest 90s I’ve ever seen too. I love my merc but I’ve got a t8 too and it runs like a top. I think you will be happy with either of them.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I think you will be happy with either of them.

+1

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I can not comment on the Merc 90 4 stroke, I have a Yamaha 90 2 stroke, this motor is rock solid and is much quitter than the Merc 90 2 stroke. Every one that I have talked to that owns a Yamaha loves them but I have heard more mixed reviews on Mercs. Mostly it is personal preference try them both out and see which you like best, I am sure there are members here that would take you out for a test drive when the weather permits.

jerry b
    western WI

Quote:

I have run a 115 Yammy 4 stroke since 2001…all I ever do from March through November is turn the ignition key…thats it! I have lots of days on the water…NEVER AN ISSUE WITH ANYTHING!

I’ve an ’02 Yammi f115 with about 1300 hrs. Minimal no-brainer problems is all I’ve had, but then I can say the same about the Mercs and Suzuki I’ve had too. I’m thinkin’ todays outboards are pretty bullet-proof. Regular maintainance and sensible operation and they do well-jerr

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I like my Merc

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Can’t comment on Merc since I have never owned one but I have had several mid range motors by Johnson 25hp, Evinrude E-Tec 75hp, Mariner 50hp plus smaller motors but I have now moved to a Yamaha 75hp 4-stroke and think it’s the best running and quietest motor I have owned. I have only had it a year but have NO complaints at all.

If it’s a used motor just do your homework and make sure to have it checked over by a certified marine mechanic including a compression test and/or leak down test to know what you are getting.

Good luck on choosing one.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

A guy my dad knows had a quote I have to share about this subject.

He said, “Mercury should go buy a Yamaha, take it apart, and see what they need to do to fix theirs.”

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I’m in the Merc camp. The Optimax camp to be exact. Three of my friends are now running Opti’s after switching from Yammy and Evinrudes, and all three are sold. While not a four stroke, it is still a great motor, eco friendly and economical.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I have had………..

Mercury 2+2….hated it.
    Mariner OptiMax….loved it.
    Yamaha 2 stroke…..it was OK.
    Yamaha 4 stroke. Love it.

So, to answer your question, if you want Merc, buy Merc, if you want Yamaha buy Yamaha. But………whichever you buy make sure you have a A-1 dealer! Dealers will make all the difference on a motor. If you want to skimp on money, buy your wife Daiseys instead of Roses for Valentines day. Don’t save a nickel just to buy from a bad dealer.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I have had em both a Yami 115 4 st great motor no issues, now I have Mercs Opti and a Pro Kicker and they are great engines, personal preferance I guess.

drifter295
    Hastings MN

Lund and Merc do have a deal together, but I talked to at least 6 dealers in the state last year before I bought, and every one of them said they would hang a Yammie motor if that’s what I wanted. The best deals came from up north, not anywhere close to the cities.

HYBES
    SE MN

Yamaha 4 stroke here. Your dealer should put on the motor you want or he’s not your dealer.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Both make good motors, and for most cases, you cannot go wrong. Chevy vs Ford debate.

I have had 3 Mercury motors in the past and hated them all. Loud, stinky, cold blooded and never idled correctly.

I have fished with enough people who run Yamahas to know my next boat will have that powerplant on it. The only problem I have with Yamaha motors is people often try to start the motor when it is already running, just too darn quiet.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have had two Mercs (1990 & 2000 & both were 2stroke) both had problems, although the 1990 40hp runs like a top now. I have had a 2008 & 2009 Yamaha (75hp & 90hp 4stroke) and they run better than a top. I think they both make good motors now but I still lean towards the Yamaha.

wallii1

Have a 75 Yammi 4 Stroke. Love it. Dealer put it on no problem

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got a ’93 Merc (60 HP, 3 cyl, 2 stroke), and frankly, I am surprised at how well it runs. It idles great and is pretty darn quiet. The only motor issue I have had was the oil level sensor going bad. I know some of the older Mercs could be cold-blooded, smoky, and stinky, but that just isn’t the case with mine. It must depend on the model.

If you’re looking at new or late model motors, I don’t think you can go wrong with a Merc or Yamaha (or a Honda or a ‘Zuki…). Like others have said, find what you like and a dealer that you like.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

2007 merc 90 4 stroke big foot on the pontoon
    2009 merc 40 4 stroke tiller on the xpress 1650 db flat.

love them both,

Had to spin the pisser of both so they made made more noise hitting the water so I knew they are running.

I agree Ford/ Chevy debate.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Do the bigger Merc tillers have forward and reverse on the throttle? I really like that feature.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have an older 1988 80hp merc, that we have had since new. Overall, it’s been a good motor, but we’ve had some problems with it and it has always idled rough. I think if I were to get a new outboard, I would go with a new Yamaha. I really haven’t ever heard anything bad about them. I have heard some horror stories about some older (80’s and 90’s)mercs, but not too sure about the newer models.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-DepthOutdoors BassMasterFunk!!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.