Lake Winnebago Sturgeon Article

• mojogunter

I doubt that is the case. I’m sure this will urine people off, but I don’t understand this either. If people are eating the fish then I guess I understand it, but if it is just to spear a big sturgeon and toss it then it makes no sense to me. Maybe someone can educate me if people eat sturgeon. I know that the eggs were the cause of the sturgeon almost being wiped out at the turn of the last century on LOTW and the Rainy River.

Quote:

I imagine the DNR has studied the effects this must have and come to the conclusion no harm is being done

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I wonder the same thing a few years ago OU. These sturgeon are the most studied sturgeon in the US.

It still makes me cringe when I see one on the back up a pick up, but the DNR rules sure seem to be working.

That has to be one ‘ell of a sturgeon fishery over there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I can’t speak for everyone in WI, but from the research I did they were all eaten as far as I could tell.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have buddies that do the whole spearing thing. They love to eat them. They claim they’re some of the best meat available. On that note, I don’t think I’d want to kill something to eat that’s 100s of years old.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

From what I have heard, it seems they do an excellent job of managing the fish. Its not my cup of tea to take fish, however I might not mind trying this if I had an opportunity. I’d think it would at least be fun to tag along with a group and watch them do it. It would be pretty interesting.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

I know a guy who spears and brought some of his fish when he came turkey hunting. He knew how to cook it and it was some of the best fish I’ve ever had. Very white, flakey, very good. The funny thing is, at least used to be law, is that the eggs had to be destroyed because the DNR did not want people taking them just for the eggs. I’m not sure if that is still the law or not.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

you will likely not find a better smoked fish than sturgeon. They are also tasty baked or fried. I’m sure there are people that spear them just to spear them and don’t eat them, but there are also people that hunt deer and don’t eat them. The vast majority of the people spearing them spear them so they can eat them. The Winnebago system is very heavily studied for sturgeon, and the quotas are set each year based on the strength of the fishery. When they hit a certain number of females, they shut the season down. Some years, the season only lasted two days.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

When they hit a certain number of females, they shut the season down.

Oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I forgot it was the females that the quota applied to.

sturgeonator

THE STURGEON WERE NOT KILLED FOR THEIR EGGS ON LOW. THEY WERE CAUGHT IN THE FISHING NETS AND WOULD RUIN THEM SO THEY STARTED TO KILL THEM INSTEAD OF LETTING THEM GO. I BELIEVE AFTER A WHILE THEY STARTED TO KEEP AND SELL FOR DOG FOOD.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Has anyone here fished Winnebago?

Can’t target sturgeon hook and line there. The DNR has kept a good handle on this fishery. Before jumping to too many conclusions I would get some data on the ave size fish speared every year. I am not for or against this but some fish removed from fisheries is a good thing. This way they can regulate it well.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Has anyone here fished Winnebago?

I grew up in the fox valley and fished it dozens of times a year for about 15 years.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I have too. All of two times. Wrecked my first prop there!

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Fished it probably 30 times. We hooked into a few of those 100 plus pound sturgeons while trolling for eyes. Law says you’re supposed to cut the line as soon as you know it’s a sturgeon.

The Winnebago chain is an eater Walleye factory, but it is not where you go to catch big fish. If you want trophies drive the extra 40 minutes to Green Bay.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

The sturgeon population is a source of great pride and, working hand-in-hand with the WI DNR biologists, the spearing community contributes countless hours and dollars to maintain the population.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

…you’re supposed to cut the line as soon as you know it’s a sturgeon.

That seems silly. Oh wait, you trolling with crawler harnesses or something? I was thinking it seems dumb to leave a crank with treble hooks in a sturgeon. Nevermind.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

All the ones I’ve had on have been on cranks. All I said was you were “Supposed” to cut the line

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

All I said was you were “Supposed” to cut the line

Ah. Well it seemed like a silly suggestion for them to make. I am glad it sounds like they have changed their stance on that. I don’t see a jig or single hook being much of a hindrance to them, but a crank could starve them to death it is really entangled itself in the lips.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I don’t believe they eat cranks, you typically have them buried in the their body.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I don’t believe they eat cranks, you typically have them buried in the their body.

Uff!

Yes, that makes more sense. I am really not thinking things through today.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

We should bump one of the Winnebago threads in the Catfish forum. Lot’s of good info in those discussions!.

It’s one of the greatest turn a rounds in Natural resource history. I know some of you are dead against any sort of killing but if you guys did some research on the topic you would find out what an incredible top notch event it is and what it means to the community.

Now wheres Tim?….

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t think anyone has responded against it?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.