When am I too old?

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Great thread!! Some great post’s here.

I love most of the rock bands mentioned and hope the day never comes that I wont listen to them anymore. I grew up with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc and still listen to them all the time. I wont go to those big shows anymore, I’m afraid if I were tossed into those mosh pits, I would have a cardiac arrest and some poor high school kid would throw his back out getting me up there in the first place.

Did you know that Rob Halford is back on tour with Judas Priest…

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Good post… I avoided opening it for a while because of the title; I didn’t know what “IT” was, but I was afraid this thread would have information telling me that I was too old!

As far as Lars/Metallica is concerned, I used to really like their music. It’s difficult for me, however, to imagine any other type of artist driving a gold-plated Ferarri and telling people how they’re being denied monetary tribute for their work. Here’s a hint: When someone says, “It’s not about the money,” that means, “It’s about the money.” What painter wouldn’t want their artwork hanging in every living room in America, and how is music different?

Since the Napster/Metallica debacle, I hope the artists have reconsidered the whole paradigm of the current music industry and the RIA. We’re living in an age where a 15 year old can produce an album and distribute it at 0 cost to two billion people with a click of the mouse. I earnestly hope that bands start putting more effort into their live shows and making their money there instead.

Now the basics:

Best concert I’ve seen: Alan Jackson

Artists deserving tribute: Randy Travis and Vince Gill, the men who saved (real) country music from the pop invasion of the early 90’s.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Gianni,
    I never would have guessed you for a good old boy
    I also saw Alan Jackson and would have to agree it was one of the best concerts I have seen, although in 1978 I saw Steve Miller, Pablo Cruise, & the Eagles all in one day at the old Met outdoor stadium in Burnsville. Now that was a great concert!!!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Derek,”Run to the hills dude but don’t bring your daughter to the slaughter” If you do?”You got another thing coming”
    You ever head bang in the boat?You know got a 10 mile run,put in a little music and “Head out on the highway”
    John,yes I realize the Napster/Metallica thing was a mess but I like their music and they are a great live band.How many heavy metal bands have been together over 20 years?A few but not many.Or have recorded with the San Francisco Symphony?
    Ken,really liked reading your choices of talent.SRV is awesome,I’ve seen his bro Jimmy in concert.Drummers,you want to know who had alot of talent on drums? Buddy Myles,he has played with some great over the years.
    Take care guys .
    Ryan Hale

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

I’m 54 And old enough to know better but young enough not to care in other words go for what you like and just respect other peoples choises

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I’m 54 And old enough to know better but young enough not to care in other words go for what you like and just respect other peoples choises

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i’m not sure what you’re all ramblin about……but here’s a 19 year old college kid’s perspective

1. GARTH BROOKS
    2. GARTH BROOKS
    3. GARTH BROOKS

4. Tom Petty
    5. SuperTramp
    6. 3 Doors Down
    7. Billy Joel
    8. Travis Tritt
    9. Fleetwood Mac
    10. Led Zepplin

as you can see, i’m a little all over the place , but that’s nothing new ……….

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Garth was cool. I still have that movie waynes world.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well i am now in search of finding all of my favorite movies from the 80’s. but in all of this music chat, I forgot to mention my all time favorite singer. he is a national bare back champion, he has produced his first 22 cd’s out of his own pocket, been known as the rock-n-roll cowboy of the country music world. has anyone guessed yet??

Chris Ledoux. I used to be a bull rider turned rodeo fan, he is in almost everyones cd player along with metallica.

thanks

shane

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I thought you were describing Buck Rock-N-Roll Zumoff.

idea for another thread!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Chris Ledoux is awesome. I like the song “This Cowboy’s Hat”.

Gator Hunter

redneck
    Rosemount

In my youth, it was BTO,Blue Oyster Cult,Deep Purple,Uriah Heep and Grand Funk for me. Now I can listen to them for about 2 minutes once a year before I have to turn them off.
    I’m all country now and when ya talk real country the best is George Jones. Chris Ledoux is good as is Alan Jackson,Tracy Byrd and a bunch of others but they’ll tell ya George is the King. Nothing better than George playing at about 5 in the morning as ya point the truck towards Evert’s. It sets the mood for the day!

rushcityranger
    Rush City Mn

You can really make a jerk bait dance when your muskie fishing with a metallica tune playing!

jbb
    Minneapolis area

Eric Clapton is a favorite..many concerts in the 70’s Traffic was great!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Fishing machine: Get a demo of about 6 songs of hers. Make sure she’s got them copyrighted before sending the tape anywhere, even if it’s just a “poor man’s” copyright. I’ll explain later………………. but here’s the deal…….. getting started is no harder than getting in front of people. Go play in park or on a beach. Build a following, all the while chasing some places that will pay her to play. Take all the money and invest it in herself, don’t “drink the profits”. If it’s gotta be a party, let “the fans” pay for it. Get some quality musicians behind her (go to other venues or references from recording labels………….not the “City Pages”). Getting the whole act together while collaborating/writing new songs so she has a product to sell.

Where to send the demo when it’s ready? Me. I’ve still got the connections, one straight into Nashville. I’ve got a real good friend, just saw him again yesterday, that could give a real honest opinion of her future likelihood.

Truth is, many talents never go anywhere because they don’t assemble “the product”. Good players are truly a dime a dozen………….. I’m serious. Good players are not hard to find. A good singer is harder but “good”, isn’t good enough. The voice has to be extraordinary or completely unique in both form and sound. Exceptional, rare talents or products get the contracts.

What’s a contract? It varies on what she produces. Allison Krause is a great “product” in that she sticks to her bluegrass roots and can write a song with just about anyone. She’s not a big show person, but she built a product that other people could “buy” and she’s making a tremendous living in doing so. She can write a hit as well as anyone, play and record her instrument on a dime’s notice, without having to be the spotlight. She’s not trying to be a “Shania”. Shania has her own product. Less needed by the artistry of music, but a huge asset to the industry in her ability to appeal to both men and women at a level that make them “want to be her”, or at least identify with what she’s singing about.

Get the product together. It will take money, support, mileage, TOTAL dedication, and nothing else can get in the way or I guarantee, she’ll be happier just writing songs and playing them for people she loves. It’s an all or nothing industry if you’re looking at the top, so she does need to decide for herself.

There’s no perfect formula either…………. it’s just having the belief to create believers and proving it’s true when it really counts. Time and determination……………. tireless determination.

Send me a pm whenever you put something together and I’ll get you some immediate details.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I was also unsure about the whole moshing thing. It’s basically what has kept me away from things like Edgefest, and Ozzfest. I don’t want to go to general admission things for that reason. So, Metallica has a GA floor, and the rest reserved. I would hope I’m safe.
    I grew up listening to Kiss, Iron Maiden, Rush, The Police, Journey, and as I got older got into the Motley Crues, Ozzy, Black Sabbath. Recently some of the bands that I enjoy are Disturbed, Chevelle, Staind (first album)Foo Fighters, and Alice in Chains. There is a lot of great musicianship going on in some of these bands.
    I too am a big fan of Nuno Bettencourt. I usually get odd looks when I bring this guy up. He is a very versatile player. Good ear Kid!
    My son is 8 years old now, and he got an Iron Maiden, Best of the Beast cd and loves it. I remember him crying when he was 3 years old and we didn’t have Blizzard of Ozz in the van so he could listen to Crazy Train. I guess I’m raising a metal-head. Better then some of that stuff out there.
    Steve

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

kid-
    Where’s Satriani on your list of guitar greats??

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Redneck…I’m with you..I recorded Black Oak Arkansas’s High On The Hog 8 track to cassette. If I can make two minutes!

The ol possum and Conway…all I need. Ahh, who’s gonna fill them shoes?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

kid-
    Where’s Satriani on your list of guitar greats??

Given all the people he’s given a lessen to, there’s no doubt he’s highly respected within his community and I think he’s deserving of the credit he’s given. But I’ve come across some interviews over the years and the guy has some humillity…………and has mentioned other players that can, in some way, really out class him. Back in …………….. ’91 (if I remember right), he was on tour with Eric Johnson and he was being interviewed about the tour. The question was asked if he’d found anything difficult to deal with on this tour and he mentioned Eric’s playing! At first there was misunderstanding and they thought he was cutting on E.J. but he clarified that it was hard to come out there night after night, headlining the show because Eric was so good, and getting better every night. His greatest compliment to Eric was that he was already so clean, so crisp, and so defined in every note or pattern he played that it was intimidating to Joe to go out there feel worthy of the top spot.

Of course, the fans never put him in a position of feeling that we wasn’t deserving so he came to terms with the fact that Eric had a style that was simply more polished and that he would help himself to realize that people liked Joe for Joe, and it’s not a contest. However, for personal satisfaction, he began taking notes of Eric’s techniques and set ups, and mixing them with his own.

No disrespect intended toward Joe for not putting him on my list, Lord knows I couldn’t hold a candle to the guy, but he actually lists a few players above himself as “all time greats” and some of those mentions are on my list.

On a no boundaries all time list, Joe is probably a top 40 listee, but where in the list? That’s anybody’s guess!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I agree, nothing like taking a road trip and just jamming with Joe, seems to make the miles just melt away.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

I’m all country now and when ya talk real country the best is George Jones. Chris Ledoux is good as is Alan Jackson,Tracy Byrd and a bunch of others but they’ll tell ya George is the King. Nothing better than George playing at about 5 in the morning as ya point the truck towards Evert’s. It sets the mood for the day!

i still have to say that George is the man. I wish i could play some guitar, I would be busy for hours trying to learn his songs just to play and sing them. but Chris is my man, I used to be a bull rider for a few years and his music hits me harder than most do.

my all time favorite, “hooked on an 8 second ride”

shane

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Just skimmed through this thread but didn’t see any mention of the great guitarist, Jimmi H. or the great Led Z. Doors, CCR, or for Stiiakid2-how about Bloodrock. Ya gotta love the 4 octaves reached in Pretty Woman. My kid had to turn me on to Pink Floyd which probably shows my 55 years although I will listen to Marty Robins. Rock on!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Never listened to BloodRock. Stryper was as far as I went with that in those days, but I do remember the name.

I didn’t put Page or Hendrix on my list, again…………….cuz they’re not my picks. That’s all my list was………. There’s no question those boys had a tremendous talent and no one can take it from them but sometimes they were so far out, that I don’t know if it was the artistry or the drugs. Sadly, a large part a great industry uses illegal substance and they’re hailed as “heroes” by many. I haven’t read that here, but we all know there is truth in it. If I had to re-examine my list by character alone, some of them would lose their place but I try to evaluate musicianship objectively and by level of duplicity. Guitarists on a garage level have often and regularly been able to reproduce a lot of Pages stuff………Hendrix too……… but there are those select pieces that make guys scratch their heads and go, “What the……….?” Slow it down, filter it, doesn’t matter. They still go, “What the………..?” But one has to keep in mind how much can be hid behind electronics and in accoustical form, these guys never really got above some of their less recognized peers.

The guitar players from “Heart” are phenominal! Forgot to mention them! The dude from Triumph is another classical composer/player and extremely talented, but this is classic…………..phenominal talent and the name can’t be remembered! So often, this IS the case and proof that “the product” is really what it comes down to.

I’m going to step on someone’s toes here, but KISS is probably the greatest example of producing a product. A vast majority of their music is infintile but they’re fun to watch and they’re still the all time merchandise kings. The KISS Army of the ’70’s is still an operating fan club! AC/DC minus Angus Young is…………”who?” It’s not “great” stuff, but they did “great” stuff with it and I wouldn’t mind getting even 1, just ONE, of their royalty checks! Hint: It’s more than the average American annual salary!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Just purchased my Kid Rock tickets this morning.My wife seen him a few years back while I was fishing a tournament and loved the show.Anyone seem him?
    Ryan Hale

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Well, I just turned 35. I listen to Metallica and the rest, my most favorite is Disturbed I saw them last year on my 34th birthday and am dying for them to come back. It doesn’t matter how old you are, you just live life the way you chose to live it. “Can’t party with the big dogs? Get of the porch”

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

It took me some time to get to this thread and now I am glad I read it. At 47 getting very close to 48, I really like all music including heavy metal and rap. The thing I always disliked at parties was heavy metal played so loud you couldn’t think. In a lot of cases there is really some talented music going on there, just can’t pick it all up as the decibels destroy what every piece in the band is doing.

While I can remember having this conversation about great guitarists some years ago, my picks for great guitarists would have been Clapton, Hendrix and Santana. Agree with the Kid about the virtues of those that should be listed, so maybe can axe Hendrix. Another I am trying to remember with this old partied out brain is a jazz guitarist, Al Di Meola. Another one that I think rates right now is Dave Matthews. Enjoy the Eagles, Pink Floyd, Alabama, Roy Clark, saw Kenny Rogers in Atlanta, Ronnie Laws, David Sanborn, Jean Luc Ponty, Sarah Vaughn, BB King, the Blues Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Yes, Supertramp, Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and on & on & etc…

Great thread!!!!

Mark

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Ryan-I saw Kid Rock 4-5 years ago when he opened for Metallica. It as an AWESOME show. He is a total entertainer, not just a musician. For that show, there were 2 dancers in cages on each side of the drummer, Joe C (the 3′ dude) running all over, just non stop action.

He played a handful of covers w/ a great Kid Rock twist. I missed his last show here, but I am sure that he has just gotten better with age.

BTW-going to Metallica in August and Van Halen in July.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Man !!!

Van Halen…I saw Van Halen and Journey at the old Mary E Sawyer Auditorium in 1978….Front row the only one in front of me was the security guy…great show !!!

I also remember seeing ELO down in Madison in ’77. It was their 1st show that their stage was a space ship…the laser show was fantastic…

herb
    6ft under

I remember seeing the Beatles introduced on The Ed Sullivan Show. Does that count?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Speaking of Journey-they are at Mystic Lake in June.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.