When am I too old?

• skhartke
    Somerset, WI

So, I’m turning 37 in a month. I just bought tickets for my wife and I to the Metallica concert in August. I have asked a number of my friends, and they all turned me down. It appears that I can’t listen to certain types of music once I get into middle age. So, am I too old, and when did this happen?
    Thanks,
    The old fart. (Steve )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

To each his own. I just turned 39 and I still enjoying listening to Metalica.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I plan on going to Metallica too-but I am only 32. Want a scary thought-can you imagine Lars, James and Kirk still rocking 20-30 years from now like the Stones??? And us still going to there shows in our 60s????

Will we still be banging our heads to Seek and Destroy from our wheelchairs and walkers?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I like Metallica, but boycott them for all their Whining about Napster and all the money their “losing”.

Poor Multi-Millionares

As for the Show…ROCK ON!!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

I
    Will we still be banging our heads to Seek and Destroy from our wheelchairs and walkers?

Yes, but the whole arena will reek of ben-gay!
    Steve

Jira

Never.

I’m 32 this year and going to Kid Rock in 8 days with a 33 and a 35!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

nearly 50… and went to metallica/kid rock last time they were in town

corey_waller
    hastings mn

see you there im 32 and i think all go till i cant walk or they quit

newt
    Pillager, MN

My brother (44) and his son (17) went to KISS and Aerosmith together a few months back. They both had a great time.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Very cool Steve,my wife and I are both looking at 37 in a few months(she is 4 days older than I !)
    I got my tickets to Metallica a few weeks ago,this will by my 2nd time seeing them.I’m a little of a concert freak I guess.I’ve seen alot of shows.I love it loud and hard but taste vary at times.I went to Wilie Nelson last September.From Willie to James/Lars ,I need help.
    Ryan Hale

danwi
    westby wi

im 51 an i download metallica,ozzy,alice cooper,an im sure i will still enjoy them if an when i reach 60 an beyond.

stuart
    Mn.

Your never to old to ROCK!!!45 and still listen to metallica,ozzy, stones.But lets give some of the new groups some credit for keeping rock alive!eminem has something to say.papa roach, creed,stained,everlast,upo just to name a few!Rock on you old foggies!Party till ya puke lol

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

All right! I was starting to think it was just me!
    Thanks,
    Steve

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I did not know I was online with a bunch of rockers. When am I too old for Garth Brooks??? LOL

Gator Hunter

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey Gator…..

i sure hope you aren’t bashing GARTH!!!

NOBODY BASHES GARTH!!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Jake

I love Garth. I’m just a redneck country boy, wouldn’t listen to anything else–except maybe some Alabama.

Gator Hunter

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Ok – I guess I’m too old. Who’s Metallica? I thought it was something to put on your live bait?

stuart
    Mn.

I was afraid someone would bring up country music(if you can call it that)Garth Brooks, oh my lord, he couldnt carry a tune if his life depended on it. And im sure he wouldnt know a lazy ike if it smacked him upside the head!

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

How about some real country ? Doc Watson, Merle Travis, Roy Acuff,Patsy Cline

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

GARTH IS KING!!!!

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

I turned 30 a week ago and I was really feeling old. But this post makes me feel much better. Thanks alot, guys!

stuart
    Mn.

O.K. yellowdog ya got me with patsy cline,then theres johny cash,charlie danials and my list goes on..to be truthfull,I just love all kinds of music! BUT i draw the line with that untalented garth brooks jk

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Garth is another transplanted wanna-be from the pop culture. Being a musician and still somewhat associated to “the big time”, I can tell you that guys like Garth saw a potential market and decided to just go for it. All I heard about was all the great stuff he did at his shows, …………………. that I knew was all stolen from rock’n roll shows of the 70’s and 80’s, when “flash” was worth it’s weight in gold. Heck, Allen Jackson wrote all about the transplants in his song “Gone Country” (look at them boots…. ). If there’s one thing about country fans, they love “new” 10 to 20 year old ideas and flock to it’s “racey innovation”. Decades of this has been going on. Wanna know where country’s going next? Watch the rockers………….it’ll trickle sooner or later.

Now, before you country fans jump all over me, let me clearly state that on a level of musicianship, this field has more world respected talents and “all-time greats” than almost any other. Classical talents rank among the best but so few people relate to that level that they never become household “heroes”. Almost every guitar player worth mentioning these days is employed by either country or blues fans. It’s also been hailed by Eddy Van Halen that in his opinion, Chet Atkins is the greatest string player to ever grace the rosewood. Reason being that there’s not a style out there that he can’t play. Rock guys often tend to be just that………..rock guys. Same with many country legends. Examples? Yeah,………Roy Clark for country and Angus Young (AC/DC) for rock. The styles are consistent and never waiver. Randy Rhodes…………….I sure miss that guy’s playing! But guys like Eric Johnson are filling those shoes nicely!

Anyway………….I could talk a novel about music and it’s industry, and I can tell you more changes are on the forefront concerning where the money’s coming from and the fans are going to. Lars and the rest of his bandmates, while I respect the mark they made for Heavy Metal lovers everywhere, they’ve forever sealed the doom of the record/CD industry. The next 5 years are going to be interesting to see what plays out but it’ll be a complete face lift of what it is today within the next 10 years.

For you old headbanger, metal heads…………….anybody still love a good dose of Armored Saint? Savatage? Leatherwolf? Death Angel? From a musicians standpoint, these bands have a greater technical talent than Metallica has ever produced, but Metallica is still the staple that paved the way for their recognition and success. In that world, promotion is everything and it’s not always the truly gifted that become stars.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Guess I am too old too never was much into heavy metal but I love country, all kinds old and new. But my all time favorite group is the Eagles

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Kid,great post.I can tell your a huge music lover.I’ve seen many concerts over the years(100 give or take).
    Best live show?
    1)Pink Floyd
    2)Metallica
    Now you talk about guitar playing? I’ve seen Eddie Van Halen,B.B King,Ted Nugent,Johnny Lang,But here are my choices of the baddest players to walk the earth.
    1)Kenny Wayne Shepard
    2)Walter Trout
    3)Jr. Brown.
    All very good with respect to style.Old heavy metal,what about Motorhead?
    Ryan Hale

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

For Rock: Beatles, Young Rascals, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

For Blues: BB King

For Country: Sawyer Brown

For Gospel: Jimmy Swaggart before he fell [loved his music then and still do]

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Honestly, I couldn’t pick a number 1 guitar, bass, keyboard, percussion, or wind player. There’s more than my ears will ever be able to cover but I know who’s really inspired me over the years so I’d like to mention a few noteworthy individuals and groups.

Guitar – Versatile:
    Phil Keggy
    Jerry Reed
    Steve Vai
    Mark Knoepfler

Guitar Rock:
    Randy Rhodes
    Eddie Van Halen
    Nuno Bettencourt
    Edgar Winter
    Neal Schon

Blues:
    Stevie Ray Vaughn is the only one I’ve really studied. Awesome!

Jr. Brown (can’t believe you mentioned him!)
    Roy Clark
    Ricky Skaggs
    Chet Atkins

Bass:
    Getty Lee
    Billy Sheehan
    Stu Hamm

Drums:
    Ricky Rocket (not for the show either!)
    Neal Peart
    Jon Bonham

Groups:
    Steely Dan
    Yes
    Dire Straits
    Rush
    Journey
    Eagles
    Queensryche
    Boston
    Kansas ………………. all of these have WAY more to list but these are noteable mentions in each catagory.

MotorHead? Lemmy’s voice always appealed to me, much like fingernails on a chalk board! They had some neat riffs but I never discovered their “magic”. Many people say the same about AC/DC and I used to be a huge fan of theirs. That’s why we need lots of artists! Many tastes to be catered to.

I always liked groups that many had never had much market success and carried extraordinary talent. Ever hear of Tony Harnell? TNT? With Ronnie Le Ticro? Vandenburg? Slammin’ Gladys? T Ride? Saigon Kick?……………………I’m trying to think of a few more that really made some impressive music or carried some impressive talent. Anyway, those are all hard rock/metal entries. That was really my first choice through the 70’s and mid-90’s. There’s some really cool stuff coming out again but it doesn’t interest me enough to really stay up on it. I’m actually focusing on some writing again at this point and challenging myself to be real open to any form of musical expression. I’ve written, recorded, and performed, but I’ve never published anything. I’ve recently become friends with a guy who just came off the road with Jonny Lang (he knows ‘everybody’…….I swear!) but he and I are sharing some points of interest and personal direction. He’s got a solo effort he’s working on and I think he and Brian White are still colaborating on some of it but when that’s done, I think I’m going to bring some stuff into his studio and see if we can make anything of it.

I was jamming with a synth, a piano, and drummer on my bass just last night and we came up with something pretty snappy that could have some serious potential. Nothing for the metal heads but more in the modern jazz formula. I know a really good jazz sax player that I’d like to have sit in with the piece sometime…………she’d be great at coming up with that “frosting on the cake!”

This just dawned on me………….this isn’t a pm is it! Sorry for the rambling guys………….just chattin’ with Ryan………I’ll continue this with him elsewhere.

Music……………life’s greatest medicine!

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

SRV…. now your talkin. Have you ever heard the song… “Willie the Wimp”.
    B.B. King and Johnny Lee Hooker are a must also.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well after reading a few really good posts and some that just made me chuckle outloud. I will have to agree with Gator. I am a red neck country boy. I have spent 7 years riding being and trying to make a living riding a 2000 pound animal. I sense then have retired them spurs, but often miss riding. I know that Garth was all about country and pop. but lets bring in some merle, johnny cash, and even the red headed stranger, or even the highway men. I have grown up listening to music that was played, lyrics had a meaning and raised a feelings. I know that looking at todays country. I would much rather listen to Alan or george strait before Garth. I also like tracey bird (keeper of the stars is my wedding song), trace adkins, and a few of the new guys. i like all kinds of music. I also get into classical when i am really worked up and want to calm down, nothing like listening to some intense classical. I do also rock, followed Metallica since i was a teen. grew up in the 80’s and had all of the big hair bands. love all of that 80 rock, just because it brings back fond memories. I guess if you get into the blues, you have bb king, muddy waters, lou rowels, issac hayes, and a few others that are on the tip of my tongue. I also like the beach boys too. nothing like listening to some of 60’s and 70’s rock. motown hits, rock hits, the british invasion.

like i told my wife one night, if i has scales, i can catch it, if it has a beat, i can dance to it, and if it has hair, i can ride it!!!! (meaning horses and bulls)

I will tell you this much, the only music that i do not listen to is RAP. not my style, and do not want that bass bumping in my head after i have gone to sleep. so with me turning 31 in June, I do not feel any older than any one else that has posted here, but my most favorite music would have to be the classic country from back in the day.

thanks

shane

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Well guys, hope I’m not out of place here. But have to get my 02 cents in. I’m much much older than any of you I’m sure. But I love country ( not all the singers but most ), Blue grass, rock, blues and most all music. but can’t stand the heavy mettal stuff. Never could.
    I have a daughter that plays several instr. Guitar being her favorite. She sings, writes songs and puts them to music. When she plays everyone stops doing whatever and listens to her. She puts her all in as if she is living the music and song. Her voice puts chills up your spine, and some people even end up with tears in their eyes when they listen to her. Everyone asks what the h— is she doing around here. Why isn’t she some where recording etc. Well we don’t know where to go to get her started.
    She lives in Viola, Ws. Has played with bands all over in Wis.
    I know, I’m her mom. And you may say I’m partial. But I bet if any of you have seen her you know that I’m right.
    You can love music of any kind at any age. I’m closing in on the 70 mark and still will go out and do the twist. Or I will do the belly rub. LOL
    Have fun guys. You only live once!!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.