Dog stuff

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

He wasnt much for fishing, but I still loved him. We are putting my 11 year old sheltie down for health and adverse behavior issues w/ my kids.

We are looking for a puppy. Something small to medium size (even though my sheltie was 50lbs) that is great w/ active young kids. A breed that enjoys fresh air and boat rides a plus.

tpntp

Can’t help too much with any dog advice, but prayers sent to you and yours.

This is the worst part to owning a wonderful friend and I hope it goes swiftly for you and your family.

Another board I frequent has a hot topic right now about a man whos German Sheperd is being put down for biting a child. The dog showed signs of this in the past which the owner ignored. Now a child is in the hospital with stitches and the guy is catching a lot of flack for not dealing with this sooner.

I commend you on your decision while realizing how tough this must be.

Prayers sent.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Dave,

Sorry to hear about your dog. Not an easy thing to do after 11 years….

J.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Let me suggest a miniature schnauser for your next dog. They have a great personality and do not shed! I lost mine last June 6, 2004 and have not yet replaced him (as if I ever could)with another dog. When I do, you can bet it will be a miniature schnauser. He was a great buddy and boat partner. I still miss him immeasurable! Having had many dogs and loving them all, I can honestly say none measured up to Smokey.

Geronimo

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Dave, Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It scares the hell out of me when the day comes for me to make that decision…hopefully thats many many years down the road, but we usually outlive our pets and it is a part of owning a pet. I don’t know of any dogs looking for a home right now, but you could always check the humane society of course.

On a side note. I thought I would throw this out there for dog owners. I found a tick on my dog last night, which I thought was really early, but neverthless, I put his frontline on last night. The tick was tiny, like a deer tick, but may have been a wood tick in the larval stage. Anyway, just a heads up to dog owners that the ticks are out and about apparently.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

just a heads up…..Miniture Schnuazers are NOT the best with kids or strangers…….we have a 7 year old M.S. that loves our family to death, but he does not tollorate other people in our house…..especially little kids…..we have to put him in a kennel when ever we have company

emover
    Malcom, IA

Dave,
    Sorry for your loss, I have been through this a few times myself, and it is never easy. As far as knowing of any available pups now, I do not, but the suggestion of the Humane Society or, if you have a favorite breed, a Rescue Organization, can be good starting spots. Whatever you decide will help in the healing process. Good loving care and surroundings will make whatever pet you have a valued family member.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Smokey, my recently departed M.S., on the other hand, loved everyone, dogs, cats, people big and little. He could never quite understand why srangers,on rare ocassions,did not greet him with the same enthusiasm he lavished on them. I guess like people, dogs also have different personalities.

Geronimo

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

Dave,

Sorry to hear about the passing of a best friend. That is one of the hardest decisions a person can make.

When choosing a dog for around young children I have no input on a breed. I had a Cocker Spaniel that would snap at kids. Now we have a 165# Rottweiler. It is very nice around kids and my wife takes it to a nursing home and residents that haven’t talked for a while say its name. Whatever dog you decide on. Get it as young as possible (We got the Rotty at 5 weeks). Raise this dog around as many people and variety of people as you can.

A warning about flea and tick applications. We used Harts Flea & Tick on my Son’s Rotty. The dog had never been aggressive before, but within a few hours after the application he bit both my Son and I. The vet called the number for side effects and sure enough that was a side effect. We now use Frontline and haven’t had a problem with either dog. GOOD LUCK in your search.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

DaveB,

Sorry to hear about your loss buddy…
    I can’t imagine what you are going through. Like Steve Vick, I absolutely dread the day this will come for me.
    There are the greatest of friends and the best of buddies all rolled into one!

As for a reccomendation on a breed…I am a little biased, but labs make very wonderful family pets. I have grown up with about 5 labs in my lifetime and can honestly say that every single one of them have been more than cooperative when we would crawl all over them at toddler age all the way up as we got older and they became real friends for all the members in our family.

Here is a pic of my sweetheart Bailey as she catches a quick snooze and day dreaming about chasing tennis ball in the river!

Good luck, if you have any thoughts or questions I would be happy to help you out!

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

Great PIC Steve

I was going to suggest a Lab, but he didn’t seem interested in that big of a dog. They seem to make a nice boat dog. Whatever breed you get don’t let it growl at people even once. Our Rotty growled over a bone at 6 weeks and we corrected him and he hasn’t growled since (He is now 2 1/2).

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

DaveB,

It take a true pet owner/lover to know when it’s time. It’s easy to hold on to your pet…because you don’t want to let go…even when you know it’s the right thing to do.

Our family member of 14 years had kidney failure. The vet said “you’ll see it in his eyes when it’s time”. It was the hardest task I had in 48 years.

It did help to get another pup right away. We waited about a week…and I couldn’t stand it anymore.

I brought home two cockapoos and our house hasn’t been the same since. I don’t recommend them for everyone. But they run 20 to 25 lbs, NORMALLY good with kids, very loving and at times fairly smart.
    Here’s a pic of my three kids…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good Luck in your decision!

Jira

Based on my friends experience, I might suggest a Goldendoodle. As the name might suggest these are crosses of goldens with standard poodles. They come in a variety of sizes and colors. They are known to be good family dogs with golden temperment and at the same time have soft mouths and love to retrieve and play in the water.

Here a pic of one…

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Dave B,sorry about your dog.It is a very hard time for all those involved when you lose a dog(pet).
    The best dog I had in the smaller size was cocker spaniel.He was great in the boat and around the house.I now have 2 english setters and a golden retriever.The setters aren’t too bad in the boat but the golden is a little to big.
    I always thought a basset hound would be a great family dog also.They seem to be a very laid back breed.
    Best of luck in your search.
    Ryan Hale

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Dave,
    Sorry to hear about your Dog, sounds like you are making the right decision. The Best dog I ever had is the short hair in the pic below, she is 7 years old. She loves to go in the boat and she is an Awesome Pheasant hunter.
    Best of luck to you in your search for a new dog, I will keep my eyes and ears open for you.

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

DAve after 15 years of being a good friend and companion I had to put my dog to sleep. my daughter and i where there for the procedure> the Vet was very understanding and explained the whole thing before it took place. my dog was old and sick being that we couldn’t talk to her we asks the vet wat she thought again she explaine everything. we were there when she was put to sleep and it was good. just an injection and she fell asleep and passed on I’m not going to lye it hurt to see her go but I new she had no more sickness or pain. just went to sleep and that’s it. I have since then bought another dog which could never replace raggs but she helps keep me company and gives me a laugh every so often. the attached photo juts shows what a nut she was

danwi
    westby wi

We have a litter of Shih-tzu pups for sale right now.We have 2 males left.They are a small dog .We have had them in the boat with us several times.The good thing that the wife would like is they dont shed. i could send you pics if you like

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Steve neat picture. I recomend labs for family pets as well.Have had 5 and all were a joy.Their biggest pleasure in life is pleasing their owners.If you get one from a hunting strain make sure it has plenty of exercise and retrieving for a happier pet.

ted-merdan

DaveB and to others who have recently lost their best friends – my thoughts are with you. I highly recommend a lab also. I put my buddy Payton down last November, the day after Thanksgiving (due to complications of cancer) and life just hasn’t been the same. He went everywhere with me and would bark at my truck when the boat was hooked up and his couch was not in the back seat! He just lived life to have fun and spend time with me. As I am spending time in the garage rigging my new boat it’s awfully quiet without him to talk to. My wife and I are now looking for a pair of yellow males to keep us company.

You can take comfort in knowing that your dog is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge – here’s what I found on the web:

There is a bridge connecting heaven and earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of it’s many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge, There is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other. There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up. The nose twitches. The ears are up. The eyes are staring. And this one runs from the group. You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again, and again, and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet. You then cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.
    —–
    Here’s a shot of one of our last trips together last October.

ted

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Ted

Thanks for your post. I also lost a dog over Thanksgiving holiday. Reading your post not only literally brought a tear to my eye but also makes me feel a whole lot better.

Gator Hunter

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

Steve Plantz-
    The one your dauhgter (I’m guessing) is holding is a mini American eskimo, yes?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Steve Plantz-
    The one your daughter (I’m guessing) is holding is a mini American eskimo, yes?

You are correct Greg, on both counts. Snowball is my Wife’s dog, this is the second one we have had. They make good pets for kids, at least we have had good luck with them. The only thing I do not like about them is they do shed & they are lousy on pheasants

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Well….Friday was tough-real tough. I still get choked up when I think about the old guy and the times we had. Thanks for all the encouragement, I knew that we were making the right decision, then ONLY decision, but that didnt make it any easier.

Anyway, we welcomed a new member to the family on Saturday. http://www.mypups.ws/_wsn/page2.html If you pull up this link-our new little guy looks like the one of the step. I was not ready for a new dog yet, but my wife stumbled across these and was intrigued. She was always a lab girl, I always had smaller dogs. As it turned out, a new litter of these guys just became available on Friday-so we got the pick out of the 4 pups. I dont think that he will make a good hunting dog, which is OK since I dont hunt. But I guess they love boat rides and time on the water. Look out for him on Pool 2-he will be guarding me and my stuff!

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

Steve- I also have a M.A.E. and would agree they’re good with kids, but terrible for the vacuum!!! No opinion on pheasants…. Our’s is 7 years old and to this day has more energy than most puppies. I guess I was hoping he’d start to calm down, but no luck so far….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dave, you’ll have to post you’re pictures. They are just like kids, they grow up too fast…

The picture below is of our two dogs at Pheasant training…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.