Info on Beaver Dam lake needed

• Horseshoe
    Boyceville, WI

I was just looking for some info on Beaver Dam Lake in Cumberland WI. I will be taking a group of kids there this summer for a fishing weekend and have never been on the lake before. Was hopin’ that somebody could give me a start in the right direction. Would like to fish for walleyes, but anything that bites would probably work for the kids. The time will most likely be mid june- early july sometime. Thanks

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

what about following your instincts when you look at the lake. find yourself some weeds and some lilly pads and then have them bobber fish. always good for maybe crappies, bass and sun fish. just a thought.

shane

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I’ve fished it a number of times. I usually go on a “family” outing in the vacinity once a summer, so I spend some time on the lake each year. Summer weekends are tough because of the pleasure boaters, but early morning and late afternoon are OK. If you launch off the public access – off the “island/campground,” go straight to your left between the two point’s into the next bay (south I think). That’s a great spot to catch large numbers of smaller northern pike. They bite all day, but overcast days seem to produce best because of the clear water! Cast into the weedlines from deep water with most any color deepdiving shad rap or similar bait and you’ll catch plenty, especially at the southern most remote end of the bay. Work it all the way around though and you’ll catch large mouth bass too. For the eye’s,…. well if you find them, let me know too. They seem hard to find in this deepwater lake. The shore banks break-off very fast to 30-40 or more feet and water clarity is usually very clear. If you go just to the right off the island campground access after launching, you have to cross an underwater peninsula into the main lake. Fish this on both sides for the eye’s. I’ve caught a few there along with more small pike and bass. Generally though, I’ll fish other area lakes to get into #’s of ‘eye’s. There are a lot of small panfish too – don’t forget them. Fish any weedline for those and you’ll get’em. ….This lake is great for lots of “hamerhandle-fun,” so the kids should love it!! Good luck!

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Stop over some night & I can show you a lake map & highlight some areas where we caught fish up there. Splitshot & Shane gave some good ideas & I can help a little as well.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I have spent the last few summer vacations up there as well. Nice area, as for Bever Dam I have used it for more recreation boating than fishing. I have had some nice luck on some of the other lake within about 5 mins from beaver dam. Sand lake has some nice fish and right by the launch area. You will be able to catch many pike, bass or gills if you wish. Also the lake that attaches to beaver dam, cannot remember the name, has some nice bass and pike as well. It is much smaller water and very protected from wind, ect. Horse shoe is another lake with many bass, gills and pike. Hope this helps a bit.
    PS right in town is the DNR, stop in there and you can get nice maps of the area lakes with boat launches. I found this to be very useful!
    Good luck and have fun.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.