Blu-Ray Player – Netflix option

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Hey guys, I got a Sony Blu-Ray player as a gift and tried the Netflix thing. I had a lot of trouble with it. The movies would not load or play via our wireless. So, I took it back and plan to get another one. Any suggestions on what brands or models are best for running Netflix?

Thanks guys and gals!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

How is your internet speed? Netflix streaming is pretty dependent on how good your internet speed is. I run it on my PS3 without too much of an issue. My dsl speed is pretty slow though, so I don’t get the best of quality when I stream stuff. I get most of my netflix through the mail so I can get the blu-ray quality rather than the low quality streaming.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Have the samsung wireless model running through apple airport with no issues with netflix. With blockbuster we gave up, continually lost movie. Love netflix instant.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Hi Wade, long time no see

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

My Samsung works great and the Wii works as well…

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I also think its your Internet speed

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

My internet is supplied via cable, and it’s fast. I don’t think it’s that. I may have gotten a bad unit.

Hi Jesse! See you in April!

stevel
    Caledonia, WI

I have Netflix too and due to crappy streaming and a lot of wireless issues I ended up running a unit without wireless and hardwired a cat5 cable directly to the player. Huge improvement and the difference in prices of the players more than covered the cost of the cable.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I agree I ran hard wires to mine, moved the router to the tv area, skipped the expensive wifi parts, got wifi on my laptop already, bought a card for the desktop, works like a champ. IMHO we have a samsung it’s alright for netflix, my xbox is way better, but also cost me more each month since I need an xbox live account to stream netflix, but I already have the for Call of duty

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

So you guys are running the output from the game console to the DVD player then to TV? Sorry, I’m a bit confused on the physical connectivity portion of this. Gonna give it a whirl at home on the Wii, but the one thing that has been holding me back is the fact I have change inputs on the TV and shut down my reciever to play the Wii. Sounds like a good 6 pack project for tonight.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Well I’m just switching inputs since the xbox has netflix built in. the wii works pretty good for netflix, but lacks hd output, even the non hd looks and works pretty good though.

I can but I don’t use my bluray player for netflix.

Pair this setup with a logitech remote, and no one has issues playing netflix, and switching inputs : waytogo:

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I just got a Panasonic DMP BD85 BluRay player. Ballpark $160. I am using wifi from an older NetGear router that at least has MIMO (~3-4 years old). I can run Netflix directly from the player. I cannot browse NetFlix though and must put them in my queue using the ‘puter. The queue itself shows up via the player. The router and player are ~40 feet apart and in different rooms, but on the same level. The player and TV are connected via HDMI.

This setup is great. My internet speed in 5MB down and 1 MB up. The shows and movies stream flawlessly…no buffering at all. My son was home for the holidays and commented how slick the setup works and how good the movies looked.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Spot on with the Logitech remote – Got the Harmony One for Christmas, have been tweaking on it for a few days, have it set up sweet. Even downloaded favorite channel gif files to display the shortcuts. 5 Remotes down to 1. Works everything flawlessly, and has a lithium ion battery and charging dock. Thanks Mom.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

I have an LG with wifi, and it works flawlessly for me. I also can stream Youtube, pandora, and a few other internet apps with my bluray player. I really love having the pandora app, so i can stream that through my home theater system!

the unit i have.

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/LG-blu-ray-dvd-player-BD570.jsp

i got it on amazon.com for $107 on black friday.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.