Western Minnesota Loss

• putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I have not been fishing or posting lately as my time has been spent tending to my ailing father. He passed away Feb. 16th at the age of 76 after a 10 year battle with melonoma. Most of us have or will have to go through this in our lives but I believe there is a lesson here for all of us. Some of you have learned it already, until now I had not. Please bear with me as I vent.

Dad’s obituary read something like this: Ed Putzier was a respected local farmer and citizen. He was named Minnesota Farmer-Sportsman of the year by Gov. Rudy Perpich in 1989 for his contributions to wildlife in that area. He was presented this award because of his work as President of the local Sportsman Club and President of the Lac Qui Parle Lake Association. If you ever caught a walleye with a notched fin from Lac Qui Parle you know that either he or his wife LuVerne handled that fish personally. He barbequed hogs for local charitable organizations such as fire departments, ambulances, hospitals, schools, Heart Association, etc, for many years. There were other things too numerous to mention here, but on the lighter side, he won state championships in tractor pulling and coached state and international tug of war championship teams (the Eddie’s Farmers team averaged 315# per man and could they clean out a bar or buffet!).

He also spent 40+ years teaching kids gun and snowmobile training. Some of his kids are now in their 40’s and 50’s and when he would read about them becoming bank presidents or lawyers, he would say, ” I taught that kid something”. On the other hand, when one of them would get nabbed with an extra deer or fish he would say “I didn’t teach him that!”

With all of his accomplishments, the most important of all to him was helping those kids. You folks also have a project like this with your ARM program and I would like to become a helper in this. For starters, I would like to contribute $500 to the project in Dad’s name if someone would send me the name and address to send it to. I also know some vendors who may contribute to the cause and I would like to help personnaly the weekend of the event. I can’t offer a nice boat or fishing knowledge but I can cook and help from shore. If Dad could make a small dent in the world’s problems in that sparsely populated area, maybe I can be of some help here also.

In closing, sorry about the long message but maybe it will help someone besides me and thanks for letting me go on like this. After meeting guys like Briank, Stillakid and Mike, on the St Croix I know I’m amoung friends here.

Please don’t feel bad about this post as Dad had a full life. In the hospital he requested a can of beer each of the last 2 days of his life and got to enjoy them as much as he could at the time. He went down kickin’. Hopefully he is up there thinking “Maybe that darn kid will turn out to be something after all”.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Gene,
    Sorry to here about your Dad, my thoughts and prayers go out to your and your family, I can tell he lived a very full life. I lost my mom 7 years ago to cancer at age 64 so I know what you are going through. Thank you so much for the generous donation to ARM, you can PM Mike Little (mudlnthru ) for the address to send the donation. I look forward to meeting you at this years ARM event, we can always use an extra hand. I know your Dad is looking down at you right now and smiling saying ” way to go kid”

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Gene, So sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my Dad to cancer 2 yrs ago. It is something that changes your attitudes forever. Sounds like your going on with your life in the right way. I’m sure your Dad was/is proud of the son he raised.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I am very sorry for your loss. It’s truly a blessing that you were able to spend those precious moments with your father. I lost my dad almost 2 years ago, and I too was able to spend alot of quality time with him before he passed. What you’re doing by trying to carry on your father’s legacy is fantastic, and the best thing you can do to honor a man who had a huge impact on your life. I hope and pray that you have the strength you need at this time in your life.
    God Bless,
    Steve

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Gene,

I’m very sorry about the loss of your father. I’m glad this site is available for you to express your love and admiration for him. Sounds like he was “one of us”. Thank you for the donation to ARM. From the sounds of it, your father would approve.

Best wishes to you and your family…

Wade

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

“Maybe that darn kid will turn out to be something after all”

I think the quote would be more like “That darn kid did turn out to be something after all”. And I’m sure he felt that way years ago.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I am very sorry to hear about the loss to you and your family. I think your Dad is sitting in a boat right now, catching fish with a bunch of kids surrounding him.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Gene;

I’m very sorry for you loss. A prayer will be said for him. Sounds like he was one great person and that goes so far, it is unbelievable.

I have a feeling that that wherever you go, people might say: “Hey, that is Ed’s boy!” And I’m sure that makes you very proud!

Keep up the family tradition! I’m too, blessed with a great father, that wherever I go, they ask: “You Andy’s son?”, and I always, proudly say: “Yep!” I’m still fortunate that my father is still with us and he is my favorite fishing and deer hunting buddy, even though he turns 80 this year, he’s still going strong and healthy.

God bless you and your family.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

With all of his accomplishments, the most important of all to him was helping those kids. You folks also have a project like this with your ARM program and I would like to become a helper in this. For starters, I would like to contribute $500 to the project in Dad’s name if someone would send me the name and address to send it to. I also know some vendors who may contribute to the cause and I would like to help personnaly the weekend of the event. I can’t offer a nice boat or fishing knowledge but I can cook and help from shore. If Dad could make a small dent in the world’s problems in that sparsely populated area, maybe I can be of some help here also.

I am very sorry for your lose of your father. losing a best friend, but also family. I will lift your and your family up in prayer and hope that God will be able to help heal your hearts.
    Getting involved with kids like your father did is a great way to carry on a legacy. have you ever thought of doing some volunteer work with the BB/BS organization or even mentoring a child. I understand that he impacted the youth with his training and knowledge. but some of these kids need to know more than just hunting and fishing. they are seeking the attention and approval from an adult person. I am sure that you can see the great work that he, you should do the same, and not just by donating some money, but how about your time. just food for thought. I am a Big Brother myself, I have been doing this for 5 years, I will continue with a new child when my little graduates this year. it is great to see how your knowledge can even change the life of 1 child. it is well worth all of the time and energy you spend. If you have any further questions about mentoring, feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected].

thanks and sorry,

shane

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Putz, my heart is with you my friend. I feel about my “Grandpa Ken” much the way you’ve reflected your father, and I lost him in ’96. It was easy to feel good about the suffering here on earth being over, yet challenging just because you know it’s likely to be a long time before you get to speak with him again. It’s great to see you lifting him up and using that vision to inspire action within yourself. Shoot, that’s character! Rest assured, your dad saw this in you long before you saw it in yourself, and was proud, even in silence.

Most of the time, in struggles such as these, it’s probably just as well to shake hands one day, give “that look” in the eye with a nod of the head, and just “know”…………….what wasn’t spoken, …………………. but I don’t know when I’ll see you next and I don’t want you to wait that long before you know that you ARE among friends and we too, will be and are………….. inspired by both the example described of your father……….and of you.

If I don’t run into you sooner, I’ll see you at the ARM event in July down at Everts Resort. Or, you can always send me a pm for some possible fishing or even just a good cup of coffee and conversation………….I’m not hard to find if you need a little support!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Gene

You have my sympathy and prayers in your time of need.

Gator Hunter

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Thanks, guys, that note took a lot off my chest. The check will be in the mail and I’ll see you in July if not sooner. But, have to go now as the other two Fat Germans are taking me to Leech tomorrow to chase some perch. Results later.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.