computer Question

• protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I don’t know anything about computers/diagnosing problems with computers so if anyone knows what the problem is PLEASE let me know! My girlfriend has an HP laptop with Comcast internet. She is unable to get on the internet even though her computer says that she is picking up a signal. Her other roommates are able to go on the internet, so it’s her computer. She brought it to Best Buy this morning and they weren’t able to fix it
    With finals week just around the corner and presentations that she has to do, it is very important to get the problem fixed!!!!

Anyone know what to do?? Thanks

tonyscully
    Hastings, MN

Does she have the password for the wireless router? If there is a lock on the router you need the password to access the internet. Even though she has a good signal without the password you will not be able to access the internet.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

ya she has the password and has been using the same internet all semester and then one day it stopped working

tonyscully
    Hastings, MN

Does she get along with her roomates?

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Comcast tech support should be able to walk her through getting online again if you call them. I would think its most likely router configuration or firewall issue.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

had a similar problem, computer said it was online but i couldnt get online . Something with the password. teck support had it running in about 3 seconds.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

had a similar problem, computer said it was online but i couldnt get online . Something with the password. teck support had it running in about 3 seconds.

Was this Comcast?

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

No, Fronteer. The password we had was to similar to another on our computer and somehow that caused confusion(to me and the wireless modem). He reset the password and all was well. Good luck.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Could very easily be a firewall issure, since she has the password to the WiFi. Especially since she has a new computer and probably new viral software.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

well the computer is no more than 3 years old…she can’t connect to the internet anywhere

nick
    Lakeville, MN

she didnt accidently turn off wifi? , most computers have that option, I would erase the wifi settings and start over. I bet she could at very least plug into one of the ethernet ports and try it that way, wouldnt be wireless I would think it would work.

I’ll post a link to some software she should download (somehow) and run. Can’t post links from my phone…

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

she is still getting a signal, something like 4 out of 5 “bars” of connection but cannot get on the internet

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Have her check if she has a static IP address assigned to the wireless interface. If so, change back to DHCP and she’d be good to go.

That being said. Id hope the Best Buy ppl would have checked this…

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

you might as well be talking to me in chinese I have no idea what any of that means Could you explain a little clearer?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Comcast was having issues with their internet last night. But if others in her house were able to connect it doesn’t sound like a Comcast issue. Our Comcast internet was out last night. Not sure if it was back up this morning. I wasted over an hour last night trying to restart my modem and router before my sister called and asked me if our internet was working.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Comcast was having issues with their internet last night. But if others in her house were able to connect it doesn’t sound like a Comcast issue. Our Comcast internet was out last night. Not sure if it was back up this morning. I wasted over an hour last night trying to restart my modem and router before my sister called and asked me if our internet was working.

Xfinity!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

she is still getting a signal, something like 4 out of 5 “bars” of connection but cannot get on the internet

Well I’ve seen some weird thing happen, I can have my wifi off on my phone (wireless internet sharing my phone), but it will show 3-4 bars wifi with my phone, again even though my phone’s wifi is off.

Even if the point is still that she should be able to get online with a ethernet cable, even if the wireless is broken right now, that will let her use her computer and get her work done, and sort the issue out later.

The router might have to be reset too, often times I find I couldnt reconnect wirelessly if I lost internet connection to my router, for whatever reason, factory reset router and it worked fine again. I would expect that to effect all computers, but who knows.

Has she tried to get online elsewhere? coffee shop?

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Yes she couldn’t even get online at Best Buy through their wireless.. A salesman told her to reset her entire computer, which would erase everything so she would have to put everything important on a flash drive I told her to get a second opinion from another store before doing that

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.