above ford dam

• bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

We always here sooooo much about the lower part of pool 2 and nothing above dam #1. Does anyone ever venture above the ford dam to see what is lurking in the waters there.

shumpy
    Bloomington MN

I’ve fished up there before with no luck, although there were alot of interesting areas to try. I get the creeps up there though because of the bodies that have come out of that stretch.

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

BODIES THAT IS NOT GOOD!!! I SURE WOULDN’T WANT TO HOOK INTO ONE OF THOSE

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have took my boat up there a couple of times through the lock. Some beautiful sandstone cliffs and rocky shorelines up there. Each time I was there it was bascially to pleasure boat but I did make a few casts and did get some little smallies on the shoreline.

I went as far as the 694 bridge. Started getting too shallow for me after that.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Suzuki hit it right on the head…Once you get up near the 694 bridge, its gets a little skinny. Take her slow up that way.
    The smallmouth fishing there all summer long is exceptional. I have not frequented it as of the last 2 years, but plenty of numbers of fish. July-September being the best months.
    Just a reminder…..This section of water is off limits for bass, walleye, and pike fishing until Mn opener. Treat the rules as a inland water. Only below Ford motor plant down to L&D #2 is open for fishing all months of the year.

tpntp

I am limited by a lack of a boat so I fish the Coon rapids damn area extensivley.

The smallmouth action is great year round no matter how you try, artificial or live.

I generally fish live bait and have had the most success with shiner minnows that I net myself, ( for some reason, the shiners from the store don’t do nearly as well).

Walleye action is spotty, with the best action coming in the spring on rapalas, dieing off in the summer, then returning full force in the fall on 3 inch sucker minnows.

Rough fish are plentiful with sheephead being the most common.

Never had a bad day yet above the 694 bridge.

Had lots where I caught nothing, but all in all I have still never had a bad day fishing, ( well, maybe there was the time I forgot to open my bail and a carp got my new rod, but thats another story.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.