3 days into cold-turkey and going strong

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Hey guys, I know it’s been a few weeks since I posted on IDO… it’s been crazy at home and work, but I wanted to stick my head in and let everyone know that I’m on day 3 of a sudden and unexpected cold-turkey smoking quit and going strong. It’s amazing what a case of bronchitis and a sense of suffocation will do for your drive to smoke.

I figured if I felt like I was suffocating now how good it would feel when I really WAS suffocating from the effects of emphysema… it wasn’t hard to find the inspiration to quit at that point. And since I was already on a nebulizer, prednisone, 2 inhalers and antibiotic for the bronchitis, it just seemed like a somewhat more than sensible time to kick the habit.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the epic quit-smoking thread over the summer… I think of that thread and everyone’s contributions frequently these days.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Next time you get the urge to smoke, put a plastic bag over your head. It will go away in a few minutes!

Congrats on day 3 Big Guy!

armchairdeity

Can I get a demo of that coping mechanism before I try it myself, BK? I mean, it sounds like a plan, but I want to get it just right… so you go first and I’ll be right behind you.

Here’s to day 12,000… day 3 is nice, but it’s gotta stick. Here’s to sticky stuff!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Attitude….. that’s what you need to keep positive….. after day 3, it shouldn’t be physical anymore Good job I am on month #8 since I became a non-smoker I love it Don’t miss it

big G

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

my wife found a place in Anoka that did acupuncture, and a “what you can afford plate/payment (so what you can afford obviously.) and after 3 sessions she was done. and that was over 2 years ago. and when she gets the urge to start again she gos back for a follow up.

congrats on day 3

MIKGILLIE
    Owatonna,MN.

Do what ever it takes to stay off them,even if you gotta stay away from the beer,I smoked 26 yrs and have quit for 3yrs on Nov 11 hardest thing I have ever done.but I think not being able to breath your last 5-10 yrs. would be much worse

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Last April 1st, beer too! No wonder why a feel like crap most of the time. I’ll never forget you asking if anyone in the boat smoked and I said no but you’re more than welcome to.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Good luck with quitting. I never smoked but chewed for 16 years. Quitting that was no treat, either.

If you need any more inspiration to quit, I am watching my mother in law whither and suffer from years of smoking and second hand smoke. She has less than 25 percent of her lung capacity left and she’s not that old. In her case she can never catch her breath so she’s often gasping for air even though she’s on oxygen 24/7. Not to use the negative reinforcement as a quitting tool, but its her reality and I’d hate for it to be yours, too.

Okay…off the soapbox. Good luck!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Good job

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

They say the first week is the worst. Keep with it and it will get better.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

GREAT JOB

It gets a little easier every day

Keep some gum, mints, suckers(Not Minnows) around to help fight off the cravings.

Ron

jerry b
    western WI

NONSENSE! ! ! I say keep smoking, you can always quit while they have you heavily sedated after your heart attack. Worked for me—eleven years ago jerr

FishingFool

Cold turkey is the hardest but the most effective at keeping quit… Chew on hard candy,drink lots of COLD water and keep focused!!! You can do it,I did!!! I quit in April of 04. Good Luck,it does get easier!!!

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Keep up the good work. I smoked and chewed both, went cold turkey for my son’s 6th birthday. My son turns 32 Sunday…it can be done!

armchairdeity

Here’s the crazy part: It hasn’t been hard. There haven’t been any cravings. I spent the evening over at a friend’s house… we’ve smoked together for years and it wasn’t even a challenge to not light up… it’s like the identity of a non-smoker has finally kicked in.

Really, I’m glad to be rid of them and at that point that seems to be overriding everything else. I’m counting my blessings at this point, because I’ve tried before and it was Not This Easy.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The only reason I will ever respect a quitter. Keep it up.

I am clinging to the old, when it gets too cold to smoke outside logic right now.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

congradulations on your comitment to extend your life…You will thank yourself over and over again…

50 years old and not smoked for 19 years now…

Keep up the good work..it will get worse before it gets better…but it will get better..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.