Skeeter WX 1850 vs Ranger Angler 1860

• ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

I know the you Guys can help Well what would be your choice ??? I am having a hard time deciding which one. Any Pros … Cons..

Thanks for the help… Ironhead

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I bought a used 617 a few years ago and have been very happy with it. The angler is the new generation of my boat.

I would test drive them both.

What type of fishing do you anticipate using it for ?

Do you need for tubing, if so, then perhaps the reata might fit better.

Which dealer is closer ?

What type of motor and size do you want?

All good questions that need answers that should point you in the right direction on your decision…

arklite881south

Both Great boats. I have 2 friends running older Angler 1860’s, and I have 4 friends that run either the WX1850 or WX1950 from Skeeter. I also have a few friends running the WX2100. I’ve all of the boats quite a bit. All of these boats handle the water in superior fashion versus the vast majority of the remaining marketplace. I personally would prefer the slightly higher ride in the 1850 from Skeeter. The deeper hull design provides a bit more storage which is something I certainly enjoy with my WX2100 vs. the similiar Ranger design. Again both fantastic boats, and I’m sure you’ll be happy with either. I would however strongly urge you to make contact with the Skeeter Boat Center, and talk with Dave. I live on Rainy Lake, and wouldn’t dream of another purchase outside of that superior sense of comfort. I’ve got 3 of their boys in my speeddial on my cell phone to answer electronic questions or whatever. The SBC has simply superior customer service, and I believe the current dominate boat for the $$. Everyone I’ve talked with has expressed the same thing. A guy standing behind his product when it comes to important purchases is simply priceless. I will also say that after a full year guiding out of my WX2100 I was simply amazed how well built the boat is!! From rigging your boat, to test drives, to being sure your matched with EXACTLY what you need for your personal fishing style these guys are the best I’ve ever dealt with. http://www.skeeterboatcenter.com

Here’s a pic of our two WX series Skeeters together at the Houseboat excursion this year. Feel free to PM me on any specific questions. I spend nearly everyday in that WX series boat!! I watched Andy in our ROUGH weather we experienced simply DOMINATE big waves with a 18.5 foot boat. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Having owned a 1860 and have driven many skeeters…the Skeeter gets & stays on plane and is a drier ride. The Angler in my opinion, would be a much better product with a 200 HP rating.They are both very good products and you could do much worse. Regardless of anyone elses opinion, you owe it to yourself to test drive both…in hopefully some rough water before you decide on either. Best of luck to ya!

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Their are a few guys on this site that can attest to those waves that weekend. lets just say I gave my 1850 the wild mans test drive on Rainy and she was wanting more I have road in Rangers also and they are a great boat also. I am just your average Joe , so no hype here ,but I was very impressed at Skeeter sale staff, and their commitment to make you a satisfied customer. You will have a hard time finding a salesman that knows more about Hummingbird than Gregg. When I purchased my boat Gregg spent almost 2 hours showing me all the features ,and how to use SI . Dave takes a personal interest in to what type of fishing you do to help you set your boat up to spend more time fishing. Chad spent an afternoon with me in Lacrosse at a test drive letting me see the difference in their model of boats.

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

I personally like lower sides on the boat even though I fish big water like the river, mille lacs, rainy lake etc. I have owned two rangers first being a 620 and now I actually downsized to a 617. I kept going bigger and bigger with boats and horsepower and really did not need it and I do some tournament fishing ( I do not have any sponsors). I have fished out of about everything out there, nothing wrong with Skeeter, but after owning two Rangers I will likely never be without one. I would not rule out a lund in the future however.

Give Al’s Specialty a call their service is top notch also! They advertise on this site also

wap
    SE minnesota

I bought a 2010 1860 angler early spring 150 etec test drove skeeters and anglers and I have fished out alot of other different boats. These boats with 150 yamahas were very slow out of hole and would not hold plane at low speed very well the etec is much faster out of the gate and holds plane at low speeds very well and I have been out in very rough water and never got wet nothing against yamaha but their is a big difference in these motors.Another thing to consider is resale a look up what resale on the boats are.I would now never own anything but a ranger these boats are very well built BUY THE RANGER!!!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Like others have mentioned. Get in both of them and get a feel for each one. Take both of them out on test drives and do anything you can think of to test them out.
    A few things to consider while deciding,
    Dryness of ride
    any kids (safety and tubing)
    body’s of water you fish
    motor you would like
    customer service before and after the fact (HUGE one for me)

With all that said each boat has its pluses and minuses so you will need to decide for yourself what one fits you best.

Feel free to give me a call with any general questions, or questions on the skeeter line up.
    Be more than happy to help you set up a test drive in a skeeter also.

Eric 715 829 2160

Good luck and have fun with your search!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.