What are willow cats?

• perchy
    Owatonna, MN

A friend of mine was telling me there is a new crankbait called a “Willow Cat” and it is supposed to work good for walleyes on the Mississippi. Has anybody heard of this lure, and if so, where can I get some?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dont know about the cranks, but willow cats are a small species of catfish. The are also called stone cats. They have a reputation as “walleye candy” and eyes really hammer them when they hit. They live in the Miss and are usually found in rocky areas.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Also called “Mad Toms”

If you do a search here or go out to Google and do a search on Mad Toms, you will get a ton of links and info.

Good bait at certain times of the year on the Mississippi.

J.

hof
    Rochester, MN

There is a plastic bait called Mad Tom’s which are plastic willow cats. You put them on jig and fish them like a Super Doo. They can be deadly on walleye and sauger!

Good Fishing,

Mike

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

A willow cat looks really close to a bull head but the tail is bigger and round. I have a aquarium full of them from last year, the willow cat has a slime coat or a scent that really seems to attract the walleyes! And a venom in there fins that STINGS BAD it will make your hand swell up in a hurry!!!

I have never caught them in the river…but thats all Im saying about that
    They do like to hide in the rocks I have lawn scape rocks in the aquarium and they swim between them and go right the the bottom glass of the tank but to find them in the wild there in the weeds!

The plastic I havent had any luck with! None zero zilch…But im not saying they dont work they just dont work for me!

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

Thanks for all the info, guys!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.