Truck/SUV Wiring

• John Luebker

Got a question for the group. I recently purchased an 2002 Chevey blazer and I need to get it wired. Just wondering if most people do it themselves by tapping into the brake lights or do you have it done by a certified person? I have also heard bad stories about taking it somewhere. THey run it from your battery clear through your SUV and I was told that it caused a lot of fuses to blow?

Looking for anyone that has had a past experience.
    Thanks

graberc
    NW Metro

John, this may be easier then you think. Most new trucks that already don’t have a flat-4 or round 7-pin, have a connector up underneath the bumper some where. You can buy a kit from a place like Mills or any auto parts store and just plug it in and mount it to your bumper somewhere.

I would check and see what you have under the bumper, I am betting this is an easy one.

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

I just checked and Hoppy doesn’t make a “T connector” for that application. You will have to wire into the harness. Are you planning on running trailer brakes or just stop, tail and turn?

Ducks

John Luebker

Grabs I will check that out tonight.

I only plain on running stop tail and turn

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

All you need to do is buy a flat 4 wire connector and tap into your harness at the rear of your vehicle.

Ducks

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

I’m not positve, but the 4-wire flat may only work if you have a towing package on that particular truck. If you do have to splice in, be sure you take your time and use solder connections, with shrink wrap covering. DO NOT USE TAP SPLICE CONNECTIONS!!! Otherwise you will put your boat in the water, pull it out, and get pulled over for no tail lights. Then, you’ll have to pay someone like me to rewire your truck.

John Luebker

I may just pay someone like you to do it anyway… That is if I do not have a towing packaged which I am pretty sure I do not sincec there was not a hitch on it when I bought it.

If you do not mind can I ask what you charge to wire a SUV? just looking at how much it might cost so I can put some away now.
    Thanks

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Here is some advice from a guy that gets to fix this stuff for a living, me!

Don’t just wire up a connector by “splicing” into your brake and signal wiring. Trust me, new vehicle’s have several ohm specific modules that don’t tolerate being molested.

I work at Eau Claire Ford and we see more trailer wiring problems than you can shake a stick at. Seems the biggest problem is corrosion in the terminals followed by “Uncle Morty” trying to rig something in.

It may be more expensive but would you rather have something that gives years of service or forever be replacing fuses, modules, and broken wiring?

Think of it this way. If you only go out to eat once a year would you rather have McDonalds or a nice juicy steak?

John Luebker

Juicy steak Just kiding Riverratt. I appreciate your advice and I am pretty sure I will be taking it somewhere. Anyone have a ballpark number? $100, $200, $300??

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

The 2000 Blazer does not require a module for computer protection. There a many vehicles out there that need a module but this isn’t one of them. Many of the down sized blazers have the wires run to the back end. GM would run the wires to the back bumper, cut them off and tape them. Not sure if the 2000 blazer has the wire cut and already hanging there, but it is worth a look. I have a Hoppy trailer catalog here and all that Blazer requires is a flat four wire connector. If you can solder the wires that is best, then coat them with brush-on electrical tape.

Ducks

John Luebker

It is a 2002 blazer not sure if that makes a difference. I did look lastnight and noticed that there is a rolled up set of wires by the back bumper. Then I checked the onwers manual and it said that there were are no conectors already connected so… I guess I need to add one. But I am also guessing that all the wires are there. So maybe it wouldn’t cost that much for a perfessional to do either?

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Those rolled up wires are the wire that GM has provided for your trailer hook up. All you need to do is use a test light. Turn your left turn signal on, use the test light, find the wire and connect the yellow wire from your flat 4 wire connect. Then turn your right turn signal on, find the wire on your truck, connect the green wire from your connect to it. Turn you headlights on, find the wire on your truck with the test light, connect that wire to the brown wire on your connector. White is ground. Now the colors on most connectors are a I stated above. Once in a while you’ll come across a connector with different colors. Hopefully the package will list the colors and their operations. If not post back up here and I can walk you through the process to find the correct wires. Hope this helps.

Ducks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.