Good outdoors book/novel

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I’m looking for a good book to read involving the outdoors, whether it be hunting/fishing or conservation. I just got done reading one written by some early Conservation officers in the Surperior/Ely/Hibbing area, very neat.

I’d prefer non-fiction but would be open to a well written fiction novel.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

One could argue that things written by the DNR are fictional…………

…..oh Lord forgive me!

jigs

A sand county almanac by Aldo Leopold is a must read, also pick up the Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark. Great read, The Horn of the Hunter is set in Africa back in the 50’s i believe, fun as heck to hear what a safaria was like back then. Sand County Almanac may be one of the greatest conservation books ever written.

I will think of some others…

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Along the same lines as Robert Ruark, I’ve always enjoyed any of the books by Peter Hathaway Capstick. African safarias, but a bit more modern. I seem to end up reading them time and again over the years.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Well they are suppose to be at least partly rooted in truth, probably my favorite books of all time

A Fine and Pleasant Misery

They Shoot Canoes, Don’t They?

Never Sniff A Gift Fish

Might be available at the library, pretty sure anything he wrote is well worth the read, been some time since I read one, to me they were amazing and funny stories. Just three off the top of my head I’ve read more of them, all were good.

Trust me, any person will love these books.

I also like these, not sure if you just got done reading these….

More Poachers Caught!: Further Adventures of a Northwoods Game Warden There is a second book too.

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Quote:

A sand county almanac by Aldo Leopold is a must read, … Sand County Almanac may be one of the greatest conservation books ever written…

2nd on that, also Round River by Aldo Leopold.

I need to read those again, its been a long time.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Along the same lines as Robert Ruark, I’ve always enjoyed any of the books by Peter Hathaway Capstick. African safarias, but a bit more modern. I seem to end up reading them time and again over the years.

Capstick has a book called “The Last Ivory Hunter” that is excellent.

big_g
    Isle, MN

A non-fiction must read for every archer and darn good book otherwise too…

The Adventures Of Fred Bear

big G

scott-k
    Red Wing

William Kent Kruger does mysteries that mostly have a Northern MN setting. Fiction but keep me thinking outdoors too.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I read all of his books and I am no longer allowed to read them in bed as I laugh to hard – they are a great read. Good outdoor mystery/crime is CJ Box who writes about a CO in Montana, ID area.

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

What Nick said…anything by Patrick McManus…easy and hilarious reads…
    also Gary Paulson’s book, Father Water, Mother Woods….an alltime favorite of mine that is excellent

wkw

“The Mulligan” by Nathan Jorgenson is awesome!! You won’t be able to put it down.
    WKW

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.