2010 Rainy Lake Get Together Event Recap

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi James –

Great report! What was the pattern for the crappies on the Rat Root? Been up there before and it was a minnow on a spinner rig bite. That works, but it can get snaggy in there. If you could, let me know. Thanks!

1/8 oz jig and a minnow pitched up tight to the pencil reeds.

Thanks James! Any particular color that you’d recommend starting with?

Scott

Anything bright. Orange, chartreuse or firetiger seemed to be on the wet end of most lines targeting crappies.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

You guys are killing me! As a new teacher I got about as much chance of getting a few days off in September as BK has of catching Rainy catfish. I think I’m gonna go back to subbing. Great reports men!

dd

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Cast and Blast,

I was in the Eau Claire group with Whittsend and we casted 1/8th – 1/16th oz jigs with any small minnow. (switching styles and colors of jigs if things slowed) up to shoreline reeds. Orange and chartruese with red eye produeced most consistently. the river essentially saved the trip (from a catching standpoint) for our group. The areas with a deep channel near was best and many times the crappies were stacked on the edge of the channel and swimming the jig in that deeper water about 4 feet off bottom took fsih as well. the bigger walleyes, jumbo perch, and northerns were shallow on bottom near the reeds/snags.

whittsend

Ditto Joe –mostly 1/8 oz orange although I did use the Kelly Green hair jig/minnow for a while and did well also. I used medium sized shiners and seemed to do well on those (vs rainbows or fatheads)… Not sure if that was a pattern, or if I was just getting bit because that was what I was using and it didn’t much matter. Crappies would take the shiners as well as the pike, perch, walleyes… Definitely nice to be fishing out of the wind, though!

Doc – Nice meeting and talking with you guys back at base. Definitely a good move to find a sheltered spot back at base that last day!

rogan

Great report and awesome shot of the graph. Did anyone try mud flats out in Saginaw?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Sag was one of the most consistent areas for our group.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.