2010 Rainy Lake Get Together Event Recap

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The 2nd Annual Rainy Lake Get Together was held this past week with nearly 60 IDO members in attendance. 10 houseboats were needed to accommodate everyone with the group departing on the morning of the 15th.

This first photo shows all the houseboats lined up at Rainy Lake Houseboats and waiting for departure on Wednesday AM. This photo isn’t out of focus… that fuzzy look is due to the slow and steady rain that greeted us at launch time. But our group was far from deterred. Quite the opposite was true as nearly everyone was eagerly awaiting their turn to launch and get on down the lake.

The first houseboat to pull away from the dock was quickly followed by the nine others. The guys that drew pilot duty of the houseboats stayed warm and dry while the guys that drew the short straw had to hold the fishing boats in formation until they could be tied to the back of the appropriate houseboat.

Pete Bauer is shown here giving the “two thumbs up” as his party pulled away from Rainy Lake Houseboats.

Our group of nearly 60 guys received high praise from both Bill Dougherty and several of his staff members for our group organization and quick loading of houseboats. As a result we were able to get nearly all 10 boats off the docks and headed down the lake in one formation. The joke heard over the radio was that we were going to pick our camping spots then go invade Canada. We never did follow through on that last part but it was quite impressive to see that many houseboats moving in unison down the lake with the fishing boats in tow. If you look closely you can count 8 houseboats all steaming for the Brule Narrows.

The first half of the day was spent getting down the lake and the houseboats tied up at the various campsites. You’ll never see a group of guys more motivated than a bunch of IDO’ers in motion trying to get camp set knowing that they get to go fishing once the work is behind them.

I’ll not post too many fish pics myself. I’ll leave that to the others that made the trip. Here’s one of my better fish from the afternoon of day 1. I caught it on a great white moxie in 18’ of water. For nearly all of this trip I fished two baits…. the new 4” Moxie and a 3.25” Paddletail on 3/16 – 3/8 oz. jigs with the color white being dominant over anything else.

The basic pattern was to target points or reefs in 15’ – 25’ of water that broke sharply into deep water (50 feet+) and swim or snap jig these plastics. If I remember correctly my big fish for the trip was 25.5” long with solid numbers of fish on the strong side of 20”. We never did hit on any big numbers with our boat usually seeing 15 – 25 fish per day but the hits were awesome and we always had a mix of smallmouth and pike to keep us busy.

B FISH N Tackle provided each and every participant on this trip with at least two bags of AuthentX 4” Moxie plastics to fish with on this trip. I know most guys focused on the jig and meat bite given the tough conditions but my boat had a lot of success fishing them. I’ll be interested in hearing how others did with these new baits and for those that made the trip… let’s not forget to throw out a big THANK YOU to B FISH N Tackle for providing us all with samples for testing.

But while we’re showing fish pics let’s not forget about Rainy Lake Crappies. A good number of those that attended this year’s event spent at least some time fishing for crappies with good results.

The photo above is Mr. Granrud with a pair of crappies that Dustin and I caught while fishing the Rat Root. While Dustin was cleaning up our mess of crappies I asked Chris to pose for a couple cell phone pics to post. The little guy on the left was pushing 11″. Most of the fish we caught today were in the 12″ – 13.75″ range… with the occassional super slab like the one above on the right to keep things interesting.

Between Chris’ boat and my boat we kept 15 of these dandies, releasing all but one of the little guys that we kept for a comparison shot to share here, in a little over 3 hours of fishing. Chris’ dad also caught a 26″ walleye and I lost a big ‘eye that ran me into flooded timber before breaking me off and leaving me to hang my head in disappointment. All of the crappies were caught up the Rat Root River with the big surprise being how many 22” – 25” walleyes were also boated along with some big pike. The Rat Root proved to be a great place to get into some awesome fish but also the perfect spot to get off the big water once the winds kicked up.

And kick up they did!

This sunset photo taken at the end of the first day shows some awesome colors and, if you look at the waves, you can see that the calm winds and light rain earlier in the day had given way to clear skies and strong winds that gained steam throughout the night.

Days 2, 3 and 4 produced tough conditions in the form of strong, relentless winds and some serious waves. The cold front that rolled through certainly didn’t do the fishing any good but that wasn’t the #1 factor impacting the success rate of those in attendance. The waves took that honor forcing many to travel slowly and to stick close to home base.

As is always the case, some boats struggled to catch more than a few fish while others reported daily catches or 30, 40 and even 50 legal walleyes with “many over 20 inches” in the mix. Jigs or spinners tipped with shiners seemed to be the top producing patterns for numbers of fish.

I fished with my #1 fishing partner Dustin Stewart (shown above with a nice eye caught on jig and shiner) and we saw consistent, although never fast paced, action throughout our trip on plastics or jigs and shiners if the fish decided to get a little stubborn. It seemed like all we had to do to catch a few fish was to move to a different spot, make a few casts, catch the few active fish in the area then move on to a new but similar piece of structure.

Here’s Dustin with one of his better walleye of the trip caught on a Oystershell Moxie.

Thursday was noon fish fry day. I recall asking Billy (shown below) what was the biggest group for which he’d ever cooked shorelunch… his reply was “this one!” I know I can barely cook for two back at home in a modern kitchen. To see Billy knock out fish, potatoes and beans for nearly 60 with some help from his son Joey (shown two photos down) was more than impressive.

Sturdiwheat’s Cajun Fish Coating was a big hit with the guys! I know this because for the second year in a row I spent too much time talking and taking pics and I showed up late to the serving table. So late in fact that I was left with beans, a few potatoes and buttered bread. Oh well. I’ve got nobody to blame but myself for all that yakin when I should have been eating!

I did however make up for the lost opportunity with the fish fry by eating more than my share when it came time for Sturdiwheat to make an appearance at the breakfast table! Sturdiwheat provided a 2# bag of pancake mix along with a bottle of their maple syrup for each houseboat. I’m sure all the others will agree… these pancakes taste phenomenal and given that they’re a “just add water” mix they make a super simple meal!

Friday morning broke cold and windy with temps in the mid 30’s to greet the anglers. After braving the big lake in the fishing boats several groups decided to relocate their houseboat back to the west so they would have a short run to the Rat Root River. This move got the fishing boats out of the wind and put several groups on a good crappie and walleye bite. Those that had bigger fishing boats stuck it out on the main lake. The good news was that by this point in the trip, after fighting wind and waves for three previous days, many boats had grown accustomed to the conditions and found ways to cope and catch fish.

I’ll wrap up my portion of the recap with two final scenery photos. The first one is of a lone pine tree that sits on the tiniest of little islands on the edge of the main lake. Every time I see that tree I can’t help but think about that “tough little bugger” that established a toe hold in one of the most unlikely of places and found a way to flourish.

And finally, I’ll end with a photo taken sunday AM as all the boats were heading back to Rainy Lake Houseboats. After multiple days of strong winds we woke to calm conditions, warming temps and several canoes paddling through the Brule Narrows where only the largest fishing boats in our group dared tread the days prior. Such is life I guess. Last year our trip saw 85 degree temps and we prayed for wind we never got. This year we get the polar opposite. The optimist in me predicts that next year we’ll hit it right in the middle.

To all those that made the trip this year, it was my distinct pleasure to fish, eat and talk with each and every one of you and I look forward to seeing many of you again soon. Until next year.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Man I wish I had a free weekend!!Great report James now lets see some more Jpegs from the rest of you boys!!

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

It was a blast James thanks again

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You went zonar?

Had I known!

I read the report around 1 this morning. It made me want to sign up for next year and…it made me hungry!

It must be nice up there this time of year.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Fantastic recap James. That trip was a blast.

A big thanks to IDO, RLHB, Sturdiwheat, and B-Fish-N-Tackle

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Looks like a fun trip. 1st photo pulling those 3 skeeters, wow thats an expensive pull.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Yeah BK had a great time why ?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Great report!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Way cool stuff right there

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

You went zonar?

Had I known!

I read the report around 1 this morning. It made me want to sign up for next year and…it made me hungry!

It must be nice up there this time of year.

We ‘ll both have to go and show those guys how to catfish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

We ‘ll both have to go and show those guys how to catfish.

One thing I’m sure of… only anglers with mad skills can catch cats on Rainy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

only anglers with mad skills can catch cats on Rainy.

I think we are a shoe in Mike.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Hey BK, if you head out on the Lake with a mega watt head lamp on be ready for the border patrol! I’m not sure they would buy your story of “fishin’ cats” in the middle of the night. Most likely you would end up in a cell with Frenchy.

Guess you could always appeal to the IDO faithful for character witnesses.

That’s one story I would like to hear……………….

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You guys asked for it. Brian and I will have to accept this challenge. What are the regs for bullheads as bait and stink bait up there?

castandblast

Hi James –

Great report! What was the pattern for the crappies on the Rat Root? Been up there before and it was a minnow on a spinner rig bite. That works, but it can get snaggy in there. If you could, let me know. Thanks!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Hi James –

Great report! What was the pattern for the crappies on the Rat Root? Been up there before and it was a minnow on a spinner rig bite. That works, but it can get snaggy in there. If you could, let me know. Thanks!

1/8 oz jig and a minnow pitched up tight to the pencil reeds.

huskerdu

I have to give a thumbs up to Billy for the time he spent on Friday to help the group on the Rat. Billy works hard to make the most of your trip, Thanks also to James and the hole group for sharing the information on the bite.
    To bad Mother nature was play jokes on us!

whittsend

Huskerdo – Nice meeting you guys on Saturday night, “roughing it” back at base…

Hope you enjoyed the fish/poppers/veni.

Mike

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

the poppers, venni and fish hit the spot! going back to “homebase” was not a bad plan B, at least we could fish well as learn some new water.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

A BIG THANKS goes out to IDO, Rainy Lake Houseboats, and Sturdiwheat. It was another incredible trip for the history books. The fishing was a little different than last year but the good times still rolled as it was great catching up with friends from last years trip.

Our group was able to find a little different bite this year witch worked out great on those windy days when fishing the big waves was not so enjoyable. We also did our fair share of jigging and casting for pike but this trolling bite was a fun bit I’d like to share with everyone.

Thanks to the keen eye of Ron and Pete we found a fun leadcore trolling bite. While wandering around one morning Ron and Pete noticed a vast area of susspended fish that were following huge schools of baitfish. After several attempts to slip bobber these fish and no trolling gear they moved on. Ron mentioned to Layne and I later in the day about this area and we decided to take a look as I NEVER leave home without trolling gear. After only a few minutes of graphing these fish we had Ron and Pete anchor their boat nearby and jump in with us for some trolling.

We picked out a few deep diving crankbaits attached them to the leadcore rods and also added some snap weights to get to these deep fish a little quicker. It was 10 minutes into out first trolling run and we had a double of 22.5 inchers.

We continued to catch several of these fish that afternoon and returned to the area a couple more times throughout the trip. It sure was fun having Ron and Pete jump in the boat with us. Running 4 rods also seems to help dial a trolling bite in a little faster. Thanks for the good company guys.

Layne and I also had some decent success pitching jigs on the reefs. We had our best success pitching on a spot that our anchor wouldn’t hold on last year. This year was no different than last as the spot held a good number of fish. The only difference for us this year was that my iPilot in Spot Lock would keep us on the fish for as long as we wanted. In a short time this spot produced 5 fish for us over the 22″ mark with the largest hitting the board at 25.5″. Below are a couple of Rainy tanks from that favorite reef.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sa Wa EEET!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Your screen capture is crazy! We saw a lot of that out over deep water but getting those fish to eat after the cold front rolled through was next to impossible. Thanks for the pics!

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Just like everyone else, boat 26 would like thank the IDO staff and Rainy Lake Houseboats for putting this gig together. Even with the high winds it was still a great trip. New people were and new friends were made. For me at least, I am already looking forward to next year (rumor has it there might be a spring trip )

Here’s a quick fishing synopsis. We (Phil, Drew and Ed) rolled into Thunderbird late Monday night and headed out to fish Rainy for the first time (ever) Tuesday. We really didn’t know what to expect, so we headed east of the Brule Narrows where we heard James and Dustin would be roaming around. To our surprise, we were able to find ~20 fish jigging in 26-46 feet of water. They were really all over the column.

Wednesday the trip started and our ability to catch fish jigging ended. We were getting very soft bites and were pulling back 1/2 and 3/4 skinned shiners. We decided to give lindy rigs with 3/8 oz no-snag sinkers a shot. The snell was just a 4-5′ piece of fluorocarbon loaded with nothing more than a hook. We chose the no-snags over tradition wire bouncers because the no-snags slide up and down the line with ease. This allowed us to literally feed the fish line when we felt a bite. When we felt a bite, we were ripping off 10-15 feet of line and letting the fishing eat it. This turned out to be our meal ticket (literally, our meal ticket ). Even in doing so, we had many fish that were just hooked on the lip or right inside the mouth. Never once did we have a fish swallow the bait.

We ended up with 3 or 4 days of 20+ fish with our biggest being 24″. Everyone one of us caught a 24″ fishing. So no big fish award for anyone. Although we lost a couple of fish that probably would have taken the prize. to those fish!

All in all it was a fantastic trip. The guy with the vikings garb below is a packer fan that drank a little too much (typical packer fan).

You can check out more picks from our trip here. IDO Rainy Lake 2010

Drew

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

*sigh*

That is all…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We need to get a pic of that 43” goliath pike caught by boat #10 up here. That was one impressive fish.

castandblast

whittsend –

What was the pattern for you in the Rat Root? Same gig as James with the 1/8 oz jig tipped with a minnow and pitching it tight to the reeds? Looks like (from the pics) a bunch of your fish came from there.

Nice pics!

Scott

castandblast

Quote:

Quote:

Hi James –

1/8 oz jig and a minnow pitched up tight to the pencil reeds.

Thanks James! Any particular color that you’d recommend starting with?

Scott

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Trip was awesome, great food, great people and fishing–well, that’s fishing. Some days you killem’ and some days you don’t no matter where you fish.

In retrospect, couple things I learned from this trip: 1) if you don’t mark fish, don’t fish. West side of the Brule Narrows was devoid of large pods of baitfish and very few marks (we checked multiple reefs idling around for close to 5 hours on Thursday-most of our fish were caught in Canada around the Fox islands and really were running and gunning picking off active fish from small pods). My advice to people is, if not marking baitfish west of the Narrows, GO EAST! In talking to people in retrospect, those reefs were loaded with bait and fish-but the cold front did reduce the activity of those fish as well. Also, in retrospect, I did learn that the ciscos really do tend to pile up more east of the narrows in that basin(as evidenced by Ben’s trolling bite) v/s the west of the Narrows, which deep water was devoid of such suspended fish(these fish could have migrated north as well into the Canadian basin). According to a MN fishery biologist I talked to, the ciscos really do stack up on the east side, most likely moving into prespawn activities. 2) Rainy is a BIG lake, so have a “plan B”. The wind essentially took away further exploring or fishing the main lake-“gales of November” pretty much described it. So our crew followed the Eau Claire boys lead and headed back to RainyLake base camp and fished the Rat Root River-very good choice. Basically, we gained a solid 1.5 days of fishing that we would have missed and learned a whole new part of the system (MONSTER CRAPPIES!).

So, on a whole, GREAT trip and looking forward to getting back up there-but like I said, “that’s fishing for you!”.

For us, hair jigs and meat were the main stay for crappies and eyes. We upped to 5/16 oz jigs for deeper eyes and downsized to 3/32nd and 1/16 oz jigs for the crappies. Kelly Green was the color that did the most damage. We did switch to a flourocarbon leader, but for us did not get more bites than the high vis mono, but did get us more bites than tied straight to fireline crystal. For some, the flouro leader gave more bites and I can see how it certainly can be a good thing.

3) Learn to rig! The guys east of the narrows that were willing to slow down and lindy rig (and split shot rig) caught inactive fish the jiggers seemed to be missing-never anything wrong with soaking a minnow! Huskerdu from our group did rig west of the narrows and it worked on those scattered fish-but bet he would have killed them on the other side if he had more time to explore. Guess that is a great excuse for another trip!!!

Jeremy

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.