When is a good time to trade in your boat

• John Luebker

I wanted to get some of your opinions on this question. When is the best time to trade in a boat to get the best deal? Is it now before they start flooding the market? Or in a month or two when the people start coming to the deal to buy one? Has anyone out there had this experience and any words of wisdom.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Right now should be a great time as sales taper off in the cold winter months and dealers are needing to make some good deals to get boat sales. Several people on the board have mentioned the great deals they got from Ken at Smitty’s Marine in Lake City, Mn. 651-345-3990. Tell him Nate and Bill Cadwell sent you and you will get a great deal for sure.
    Thanks, Bill

gillman
    red ming mn

JONH call ken at smittys trust BILL you will get the best deal on your trade from ken.

John Luebker

Thanks for the quick response guys. I will have to make the trip to Lake City some time very soon. I do appreciate your help on this. I am just guessing that for him to give an estimate he will need to see the rig? please correct me if I am wrong.

fireflick
    Alma WI

The best estimate Smitty can give you is when you bring your rig in. Smitty’s is a definte must. I have gotten my last three boats from him and never had a problem.

Jira

With no basis or expertise (as I’ve only owned 1 boat) I’d think for Minnesota the best time to sell a boat up in the spring when verybody’s got the itch to get out on the lakes and they buy what they “need”. Accordingly, the best time to buy a boat I’d think would be at the end of the season when owners don’t want to hassle with winterizing and storage so they let the boat go for less than what it would in the spring.

My 2 Cents..

Jira

Bah — last time I try that… you make word errors and you can’t edit polls!!! Websites are unfair to some!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Just bought one so for me and the seller this was a good time……….

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

It may be best to try and sell your boat outright then take the cash as a down payment on a new or newer one. What kind of a rig do you have? You may consider puting a picture up on the swap forum and listing all the goodies and your price. Some of the boats get sold pretty fast. Also once you do sell it you may also find some mighty nice rigs on that same forum. I know some of the staff boats are great deals and tell them the Leinieman sent you. (I’ll get a free guided trip maybe).

John Luebker

Hey leinieman – Thanks for the idea. I would love to sell it out right. I have had it posted on the site for some time now. With no luck. The price is very open I started at 8,500 and have still be waiting for someone to make me an offer… skeeter for sale.

Since I have had very little interest on this site I thought I would try another option. Unless you know someone

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Maybe Ebay? Then buy a staff boat so I get a free guide trip. That link dosent get me to the boat by the way. Steve

John Luebker

Thanks for letting me know – I did update the link, but just incase anyone looking doesn’t want to go back
    skeeter for sale

John Luebker

Well I just called Starks in Prairie and they are not interested in such an old boat… I understand the boat is old, but isn’t the 2001 motor worth even looking at? They told me not to even come down!? Bill C I will be giving Smitty’s a call to make sure it is worth driving up to Lake City. I also called Holman Pawn and they said they would be willing to give it a look… Is it just me, but wouldn’t/shouldn’t any dealer be interested in giving a boat a look? (I suppose unless they have a ton a bass boats in stock) Any one else have an opinion or an experience on the matter?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Well, I could go into some hooror stories on Stark’s, but I won’t. But I think you would have better luck at Holmen or Schmitty’s. From the praise I have read here about Schmitty’s, that might be your best option. At least Holmen is close and you can get a quote here and then go to Lake City. Look at the bright side, at least now you do not have to make a 3 hour trip . I would think the other two would treat you right. Stark’s most of the time has their head stuck up there @$$. My .02

John Luebker

True – atleast I do not have to drive down there for the bad news but I was looking for any reason to head to cabelas Yeah my hitch goes on tomorrow… I do have one gentlemen still looking so I want to give him time to make up his mind, but it doesn’t hurt to have a back up plan I guess

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.