Fish Kill – Albert Lea Lake

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Anyone see the front page photo in the Outdoor News?! Thousands upon thousands of fish all stacked up below the dam at the head of Albert Lea Lake slowly dying off due to low oxygen levels. The DNR has opened things up to “liberalized fishing” which means most all means of catching these fish are legal (short of explosives and seine nets) and limits have been suspended. People are taking out all the walleye they can carry and 10 – 12 pound hawg ‘eyes have been reported.

What a shame to have this happen to a fishery.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I have a friend from there that called to tell me about it…You’re correct..Several ‘Eyes OVER 10lbs…and numerous other species of fish that are of trophy calibur…

What went wrong there? Do you have a copy or link to the photo/article?

Jira

Makes me sick to see those fish all struggling for their lives.. you’de think the city could drop in an oxygenator or two.. with that said —

I probably wouldn’t eat a fish out of A.L.L. due to pesticides, manure, and contaniments that have dumped in over the years… AL has been more of a shallow water covered field than a lake Which is evident by the cows which ocassionally stand in the middle. I’m really suprized that A.L.L. held those pigs… unless they typically lived in the channel.

Call me stoopid, but I’de think the easiest answer would be for them to net a bunch and throw them on the other side of the dam in foutain lake… least it’s a little deep. They could “harvest” some of the rough fish in the process. Just a thought.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Dude…I don’t think there are cows in the middle of the lake. There aren’t any livestock operators on the lake itself any more. At least I don’t recall seeing any.

Freeborn County has very few any more. Cattle will wade in up to there bellies to get rid of flies or cool off. Dairy cows or nursing beef cows that stand in water are prone to develop mastitis and that practice is typically not followed any more. It is not good ecomonics.

There is a local movement to straighten up the watershed. It should be made known that a very large share of the pollution that came into the lake comes from the city in the form of industrial waste from past transgressions before the new waste treatment facility was built near Glenville and does not enter the lake anymore but is discharged into the Shellrock River for Iowans to enjoy plus pollution from everyday city living. Another big potential pollution problem is human waste from septic systems along the lake. The farming community always gets a bad wrap from the knee jerk reaction to water pollution.

The fact is that the Clean water Act did an outstanding job on reducing point pollution (mostly industrial from a specific point)) and really is responsible in part for the outstanding water quality we enjoy in the US today. Attacking non-point pollution sources is the next big agenda and will affect those people using the land wether it be farmers or average Joe applying weed killer and Scotts fertilzer to his lawn.

Back to AL Lake…I have never seen any figures to the amount of silt in the lake itself and to the amount of decayed organic matter from dead aquatic vegetation. I have never seen any reports as to the amounts of certain ag chemicals and fertilizers that are in the runoff and to as where they originate.

There is also is a movement to dredge the lake but where do you put the spoil of which can be toxic from mercury, PCP’s and other fun stuff?

I grew up in Albert Lea a block away from Albert Lea Lake and lived there for 24 years. I own the house I grew up in.

My other job is as District Conservationist for the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service at the Minnewaukan Field Office in North Dakota. I have a little experience in watershed management and working with the ag community.

Jira

Kevin, it’s good to hear that A.L.L. is getting some attention from local sources. As you know I have some ties to AL as well (born there, parents born and raised there on fountain lake, worked at the fair every year etc..) When I lived there as a youth, I remember driving by there and asking my Grandpa why we didn’t fish there and never saw anyone fishing it. As I recall, he told me that the runoff from local farms and business wastes polluted the water. He also told me that errosion from rains and watering fields has created land errosion around the lake continually causing it to be dredged over time. I’m sure that more recent water treatment acts have helped, but as you allude to, you might not want to consume too many fish.

I actually called my uncle’s dad tonight to ask him about the lake (they still live in AL) and he told me that a study was done by the in 1999-2000 on the lake. I did a little searching and came up with it on the MN DNR site…

Here are some of the more interesting excerpts:

• Max Depth: 5.5 Feet
    • Average Depth: 3.5 feet
    • 78% of watershed is agricultural (most cultivation)
    • 20′ average of fine sediment deposited over last 150 years from watershed land use
    • Too much algae, starves other aquatic plants, causes lack of oxygen in the winter
    • Dredging isn’t long term effective with fertilizers and pollutants continually enter the lake
    • Current sediments are not “severly contaminated” and should be able to be safely disposed of at a “upland site”

Here’s a Link to the Complete Report

And while it may not be the case at the present, and believe it or not, I specifically remember a herd of cows one June in about 1980 standing near the middle of the lake as we drove by.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’m kind of confused about this… Are these people who are hauling out truckloads of fish ice fishing, or fishing open water below a dam on the lake? Are these fish active? I thought the bite dropped off when oxygen levels were low.

Dazed and confused, as always.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

The water is open below the dam and people were wearing waders and simply picking out the fish they wanted and grabbing them. There was talk of a commercial fishman that was trying to get permission to pull the carp. I don’t see any reason not to let him do it. I wondered why if Fountain was ok, that they didn’t just transplant the “good” fish above the dam.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

They are basically hauling them out by whatever means capable to them…They are stacked and packed below the dam, and anything goes right now, except guns and dynomite.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Hey… No Dynamite = No Gianni

Think I’ll stick to an Iowa lake this weekend.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.