Droid

• Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Just got the 2.2 update on my incredible. As I am a newbie to Droid operating systems,what are the benefits in day to day use? Any IDO benefits from it?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Depends what you are looking to do with it. Have you searched and looked through the Droid (Android) threads here?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Just got the 2.2 update on my incredible. As I am a newbie to Droid operating systems,what are the benefits in day to day use? Any IDO benefits from it?

Some small navigation changes. Still no flash support. This one was a complete yawn for me. Bring on FLASH support, please.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

James, which phone do you have again? The GF got the 2.2 update with Flash a couple days ago while I sit here hitting the check for updates button every half hour since. This staggered updates crap is a joke.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Android 2.2 on a motorola droid. And yes, staggered updates = dumb.

Dean Marshall

Quote:

Depends what you are looking to do with it. Have you searched and looked through the Droid (Android) threads here?

Couple last nite….but not too much that really meant anything to me. I need a techie translator.

Was recalling that it would assist us some how in uploading pics on IDO from the phone ?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t think you can with the web browser that comes with it. I think some tried with other browsers without success too, because I think it won’t let them access the file system….I think.

Maybe once I get Flash I’ll try creating a AIR app (I think you can create AIR apps for the Droid) and maybe I could have it access images through that. It’d be easier if IDO had APIs built into the board.

I know, too techie, just thinking out loud.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Couple last nite….but not too much that really meant anything to me. I need a techie translator.

Was recalling that it would assist us some how in uploading pics on IDO from the phone ?

The best browser to use to upload photos to IDO is opera mini. It works well for that purpose although I’m not a big fan of that browser for general surfing.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

I’ve got an incredible and when I got the froyo 2.2 update, I received flash with it. In fact another upgrade for flash came out this week. Flash 10.1.92.8 I have the apk file for it if anyone wants it. You will need an app like astro file manager to install it.

Maybe the Droid 1 didn’t have flash for it yet. But I believe they pushed out froyo to it and then flash was supposed to come as on ota update within a week or so of the froyo launch.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The second 2.2 update with Flash is out. The GF got it. However here I wait. I hope they didn’t have an issue where some people were skipped.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

I just ordered a Droid Incredible and it will be here tomorrow. What is the battery life with typical use? I’ve been told to get a bigger battery. Would those of you that have one recommend that?

What other accessories are good to have? I’m going to order some screen protectors and a case off of Ebay and possibly another battery depending on what people have to say about battery life.

Thanks in advance.

mojogunter

I bought the incredible the day it came out, and it was a cool phone and really fast for the most part, but there were so many things I hated about it. I couldn’t look at pictures that were sent to me as a slideshow. I would have to open each one at a time. Many texts wouldn’t open, and the battery life was horrific. I had to plug it in by about 1pm or it would be dead by 2pm with normal use. That was the deal breaker for me. I gave it back and went back to my storm 2 and have been slumming it ever since, but haven’t had any issues either. If you can buy a bigger battery maybe buy two. I know when it first came out there wasn’t a bigger battery option.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

All I know is I gotta do something different. I’ve enjoyed having my blackberry, but the NFL app on there is incredibly slow and causes a lot of unnecessary rage for me. It’s just not cutting it for me anymore. It seems to me like a lot of things on my bb are getting slower. Bring on the droid in Nov, I hope.

Dean Marshall

Battery life issues can be enhanced & managed with Task Manager app. If you use a bunch without the ability to plug in a recharge….there is now a 3750 battery available…double the stock size.Cases for the xtended battery are limited though. Smart phones can & will burn the power if all the apps are left open. I havent had any of the issues Mojo mentioned as of yet,but if I did,I would have returned it as well.So far,my incredible has far exceeded my expectations.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Found any good apps yet, Dean?

I was just thinking the other day my damn Droid is an expensive Texas Hold’em game. 95% of my time playing Appeak Poker.

I did order a stand from Amazon that will allow me to shoot video while fishing. Beats trying to stand it up on a boat seat or rocks.

Dean Marshall

Some neat stuff for apps….but easy phone tunes was awesome for converting my i-pod library.NFL app and PDA.net for tether are my most used. I need to keep a better eye out for updates on the apps as well.I primarily just use my existing bookmarks for weather and river stages.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Will it copy Apple protected files purchased from iTunes as well?

Dean Marshall

all my songs from the i-tune software converted over. It was simple too!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Here are some FREE Android apps!

Live Hold’em – Poker

Alchemy – Game

Formulas Lite – Reference for physics, chemistry, and math related formulas

Scanner Radio – Emergency and Public Works scanner

Jorte – Calendar

My Tracks – Leaves a trail and more on Google Maps. Made by Google.

Google Sky Map – Map of the stars, planets, etc.

ESPN ScoreCenter – Sports scores and news

Smart Measure – Measures heights of objects

Touiteur (Twitter)

Gauge Battery Widget – Battery monitor

Google Earth

Onion News Network

Bubble level

Pandora Radio

Zedge Ringtones & Wallpapers

Wifi Analyzer – Scans for wifi signals and displays their strength

HOMERUN BATTLE 3D – game

SilentMode OnOff – Quick way to change notification profiles between normal, vibrate, and off.

Labyrinth Lite – game

AK Notepad

Cribbage Pro

First Aid – reference

AppBrain App Market – The hotspot to download all apps Android

Google Chrome to Phone – Sends maps, URLs, etc from your PC browser (Chrome) to your phone

ASTRO File Manager

iheartradio

Droid48 – HP 48 calculator emulator

National Football Post – football news, notes.

GPS Test – GPS satellite signals, speed, and compass

NObama – time left until the 2013 presidential inauguration

Instant Buttons – sound board of funny audio clips

Laser Reflections – game

Handcent SMS – text message app

Google Maps

Magic 8-Ball

Barcode Scanner

Qik for HTC EVO 4G – video conferencing

SportsTap – sports scores and news

Trap! – game

FOX News

Drudge Report

Unit Converter – ConvertPad

Ustream Viewer

IMDb Movies & TV – mobile version of the movie reference website

Call Confirm – verifies call action before dialing

Flashlight – uses camera LED’s as a flashlight

Flikie Wallpapers HD

CBS Sports Pro Football

BtuMaster – Energy conversion calculator

Electrical Calculator – electrical reference

Rainy Days – radar which is overlaid on Google Maps

Speedtest.net Speed Test – network speed test

WiFinder – wifi scanner

PdaNet with SMS Agent – app for tethering phone to laptop

Antennas – locates nearby cell antennas

Google Goggles

Backgrounds – phone wallpaper

Compass

Solitaire

Documents To Go 2.0 Main App – opens Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe .pdf files

Mileage – Vehicle mileage tracker

Shazam – Identifies artist and song by “listening” to what is playing

Finance – stock market info

AIM

Facebook for Android – don’t use Facebook, never used it.

Flash Player 10.1

Music Junk – Download music off the internet

Palmary Weather

Score Mobile – Sports scores

The Hangover Soundboard – Funny sound bites from the movie

Let’s Golf! – game

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Holy crap Pier! I’ll have to check out some of those. Some I have, but many I don’t.

You should give Appeak poker a try. Graphics won’t wow you, but the game play is good.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Still don’t have an Android. I found this info on another site so the credit goes to them.

A few more options and reviews.

My Tracks-Gives you a decent logging capabilities and allows you to mark your location (the only thing that Navionics lacks IMO) Is nice because you get the overlay on Google maps which includes terrain and satellite.

Google Sky-Cool app for seeing whats really in the night sky.

Latitude-Good way to keep track of friends on a map. I was able to see exactly where a friend is fishing on a lake I could see it as being extremely useful for hunting too.

Tools
    Droidlight-A flashlight that does exactly that and nothing else, works good.

AK Notepad-Simple way to keep notes. Not really a great app but it allows me to keep my random thoughts from being lost.

Entertainment
    Mario Soundboard-I cant help myself. Every text message is a one up and emails are coins. Plus if your really bored you can run it off of the gyro and make it so every time you move/jump you hear the whatever sound you want. Go jumping by a isle in walmart with the jump sound going off.

Pandora- it tunes a station to similar artists to the ones I choose. Plus the more you interact with it the more it dials in what you like.

Police Scanner 5-0 Radio. You can hear local police, fire & DNR.

Sounds like 3D Home Run battle is a must have!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Sounds like 3D Home Run battle is a must have!

I reluctantly uninstalled this app because it took up so much space. It is a lot of fun. I might end up buying the full blown version.

You tap to swing and tilt the phone to get the ball to connect on the sweet spot of your bat. All in real 3D utilizing the 3D hardware capabilities of Android phones.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

So far, my 2.2 experience has been terrible. Now, when I start typing a contact on a new text, it allows me to select all the phone numbers associated with a contact instead of just the mobile number for a particular contact. Hate that, I’ve sent several text messages to my buddy’s home phone accidentally.

I also don’t care for several other small navigation. With the Incredibles, we are about ready to return. Since 2.2 came out, we can’t get corporate email to work consistently. It’s a known documented issue with no ETA on a fix.

So far, 2.2 is a downer for me.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When I start typing in the contact field of a text I get a drop down with matching contacts an their numbers say next to them “Mobile”, “Home”, etc.

I like the update. Camera is easier to use and it is nice to be able to move apps to the SD card if the developer isn’t lazy and has updated their app. Flash is ok, but I am waiting for AIR so apps can be developed in Flash.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

Some neat stuff for apps….but easy phone tunes was awesome for converting my i-pod library.NFL app and PDA.net for tether are my most used. I need to keep a better eye out for updates on the apps as well.I primarily just use my existing bookmarks for weather and river stages.

if anyone wants, i have a hack for the phone, so you can tether natively and utilize the wireless hotspot for free.

just can’t get carried away with tethering, that way they can’t catch you doing it.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

are you talking about rooting? Or some other type of hack?

I have had three android phones…I’m currently on the droid x…unreal. I love it…

A couple of MUST have apps for all droids to make them run faster…
    widget locker…
    launcherpro…

These two apps alone literally make the operations of the phone screamishly fast.

the exclusive nfl app is unreal. You can watch the games live on sunday…plus the verizon exclusive red zone.

teslaled…best flash light…

There are forums with people just like us on this fishing forum, that are just as if not more passionate about phones…

as soon as the 2.2 comes to the droid x, I am going to root and make it twice as fast from where it sits now.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’d like to have the X just for the HDMI output!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

I’d like to have the X just for the HDMI output!

I’m currently eligible for the cheap upgrade but have been holding off. Just wondering if there is something cooler coming soon???

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Every three or four months they will have a newer better phone…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.