Men escape, truck & trailer slide into Mississippi

• brian_j

And I thought I had seen it all at that ramp….

I’m glad no one was hurt and I feel bad kicking a guy while he’s down but come on. I love how the driver immediately plays the blame game:

“Not just half of it should have been shut down,” Johnson said. “It should have all been shut down. It’s a hazard.”

Sure, it’s the ramps fault not yours. Maybe you shouldn’t drive your truck head first down the ramp, or maybe you should make sure your boat runs before you take it off the trailer.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

X2

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I can’t be the only one who didn;t instantly think…

This has BK, and Evert’s tractor involved….

BK

All joking aside, what a terrible idea, I’ve seen a couple truck that thought they were cool drive down a ramp and get stuck trying to back out, I giggled at one for a good 20 mintues earlier this year. I was out in the boat.

This is why they make battery jumpstart packs. I usually have mine with, I at least have jumper cables in my boat.

All that said and done, bummer guys

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

It is not a good way to start a day. At least no one was hurt.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I almost put my truck into the MN river this May at the Judson, MN launch. It is one of those 30 degree apron jobs, and you get a little bit of mn river mud on there, she can really slide!

That being said, I can just imagine the sheer terror when you realize you are not backing up that ramp..

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

A couple of years ago I bought one of those portable jump start units from Fleet Farm. It has a built in air compressor, a 200 watt power inverter, lights, 12 volt outlets, etc. It will jump strat the boat, the truck, the guy stuck at the access, etc. I figured for $60 it was pretty cheap insurance.

Rootski

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Maybe not the best idea for them but I don’t find humor in this at all.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i’ve used that ramp for years, and just used it on friday. i do not understand how their truck “slid” down the ramp. it is not that steep of a ramp, and the ramp itself is all busted up – the furthest thing from a smooth surface.

i’m guessing it came out of gear, put in neutral, took foot off brake, etc. and the current grabbed it.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Another possibility is that algae growth finally became exposed with the lowering river levels. That is extremely slippery.Gratefull to hear no one was hurt.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

i’m guessing it came out of gear, put in neutral, took foot off brake, etc. and the current grabbed it.

I gotta agree. Anytime you hear someone say what was quoted, that was some kind operator error. You simply cannot put a vehicle in reverse in an out of control slide. Any attempt to do so will end in disaster!

Quote:

“The truck just slid down the ramp. He tried to put it in reverse and go backwards, and it wasn’t happening. When he hit the brakes, the truck kept sliding down the ramp. Next thing you know, it’s on its way down.”

-J.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Actually Jon, if you’re in a slow-roll forward you can slip the tranny into reverse. I’ve done it. The problem is, especially with a rear-wheel drive truck sliding down-hill FORWARD with a boat trailer behind it, you’re gonna end up in an even worse mess.

This is why I bought 4×4 when we got our most recent truck… and why I always use 4×4 high when I’m putting boat in and taking it out of the water. Then again my boat is 21′ long, 8′ wide and with the motor and trailer I’m guessing it weighs about a ton.

A slightly different story, I’m guessing. lol

And as long as they survived… I can honestly say:

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

You ain’t kiddin. One time I was walking down some rocks to grab a fish. I hit the algae line which was kinda high because the spray keeps it moist. My first step was a bad one and I think the first part of me to land on the giant rock was my shoulders. clunk.

loshinit420

What are these clowns talking about? The ramp is slippery and should be shut down? I launch my boat at that ramp at least 5 times a month, sometimes by myself, and have never ever had any trouble what so ever. In fact as far as public ramps go it is actually a damn nice place to launch except for maybe a little bit of current. I’m glad nobody got hurt but maybe it would do these idiots some good to get knocked on the head a couple times….Seriously one of them fell down trying to launch, they were gonna jump the boat battery with the truck battery with the boat still in the water, the trailer came unhooked from the truck??? All I can say to that is I hope they never come back!!

brian_j

Quote:

What are these clowns talking about? The ramp is slippery and should be shut down? I launch my boat at that ramp at least 5 times a month

+1 and usually my wife drives the truck. I’ve seen other guys spin their tires but come on. Trying to blame this on the ramp, give me a break.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.