Wabasha Area

• rubendalls

This weekend my wife and I and the kids are coming to Wabasha to stay at the In-laws place at the pioneer campground. We will be bringing our Bass Buggy pontoon with and I actually have permission to go do some fishing this weekend.

Neither of my brothers in law know how to fish the area around Finger Lakes and I believe it is called Peterson lake area.

Just looking for some fishing tips and locations for any species really. Just wanting to catch some fish while we are there.

Thanks In advance.

fireline
    Rochester

The Finger Lakes are all weeded in at the ramp. I would put in at Wabasha and fish the main river .If you put in at Peterson Lake make sure you follow the white markers or you’ll be in the sand big time. I vote Wabasha. good luck.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

dont be afraid of peterson if you are a seasoned boater you will be fine just follow the obviouse channel cut in the weeds towards the pioneer from the landing and then follow white markers out to main channel, as for the fishing i have not fished it lately but i would head to the wing dams i guess maybe somebody else will chip in and give you a better starting point.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I grew up in the area.

I second FL being weeded up now. You should put in at Wabasha or Teepeota Point.

Then I’d troll wing dams.

You can also go thru the locks and fish the pool below the Alma Dam. Doubt if there would be any ‘eyes in there this time of year, but as long as you are in the area, you should do at least one day below the dam.

The bait people a Pioneer should be able to give you come good ideas also.

wing_nutt3

You can put in at Wilcox Landing near Teepeota Point. We fished the wing dams right off the point of Teepeota and did very well. Nice wallys and some smallmouth in between. There is a series of about 3-5 dams with a nice weedline between the sandbar and Teepeota point. Wilcox channel can provide good panfish as does Robertson lake, just may be too weeded over.

fireline
    Rochester

Do they have the channel marked out from Wilcox to the river?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A couple weeks ago there were only a couple small jugs out after you got away from the landing and around the first couple bends. With the weeds being thick, I think a boat passing thru them will be marker enough.

The river has been bad for weeds this year. Everything started so darned early.

rubendalls

Thanks for all the info everyone. I have boated in the area before and have no problems navigating around it. My only question is whether or not our boat would be a good idea on the main channel. I got rid of my lund to get an 06 18 foot bass buggy pontoon with a 25 hp four stroke. We got it since we needed more room for the kids but something that we can still go fishing in. It works great on the lakes and reservoirs that we normally fish, but not sure if it will have the kick to handle the main channel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.