worm bedding

• trapper
    jackson co. iowa

anybody got a formula for worm bedding. something that will hold them over for more than a month. i know temp is the most important thing but i’m not all that impressed with store bought bedding. seems like it is not as good as it use to be. i’m saving all the coffee grounds and potatoe peels. Thanks!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I can’t remember all that went into it but my dad used shredded newspaper. I know there were other components and the crawlers lasted forever as long as they were kept cool. I’ll have to find out the other details.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Try comercial bedding which is ground newspaper with about 10% sand and 10% good black dirt added by volumne to keep them happy closlt monitor the moisture.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I have used Brown Bear Bait worm bedding for years.You can buy a 2# bag at Walmart for about $2.00.This 2# bag will hold around 100 crawlers.I have heard negative remarks about commercial beddings.Does this stuff work?Here is a pic of my youngest son Cade helping me today with our crawlers from last year.It is half way through Feb and we still have 7 dozen healthy crawlers.Change bedding,keep cool,and don’t over crowd your containers and you should be fine.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Ryan,

You planning on putting Cade on that Fear Factor show!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Wade, come to think of it I was missing a few crawlers.Where did they go
    Ryan Hale

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.