Trolling reel backing

• timmyg144

I’m just getting into trolling and was wondering what line to use on a line counter reel.I’ve been told that the reel needs to be close to capacity for the counter to be accurate.Could i use a mono and then finish with a braided line or should i keep it all the same?Seems like they would hold alot of line.Thanks for your help!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Save the money and go with a mono for the backing. I always use 14# – 20# mono. I go heavier than most because your backing is going to be buried under your braid for years at a time and will only see the light of day when you really need it. Like when a monster muskie runs off a couple hundred feet of braid and you find yourself praying that your 3 year old backing hasn’t deteriorated from heat and age. I usually use trilene XT for backing but any quality line will do… no need to get anything fancy though.

timmyg144

Thanks James,i appreciate the response.By the way,i enjoy your videos!Good stuff!!Thanks again

stuart
    Mn.

He got me using Spider wire stealth,change it out every 2 yrs.Its a very good line for trolling.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I go the other way on my trolling rigs. I back with 12#, usually with Trilene XT or an equivalent.

The reasoning is that if a fish is trying to run my reel, I want as much time as possible to turn the fish. I like having 200-300 yards on the reels. I have had fish run me way down, but rarely out if I rig as above.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James what type of braid do you use, and how often do you change the braid?

Spiderwire stealth in 20/6. It has very good abrasion resistance and strength to diameter. And the stuff costs less. I have no issues getting 2 – 3 years or more on it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

By the way,i enjoy your videos!Good stuff!!Thanks again

Thank you! As long as someone is willing to watch we’ll keep making them.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I also use 12 lb. XT Mono backing with Spiderwire Stealth 15/4. One thing to be aware of – before you cut your braided line, make sure that you measure it out first. The line counter reels don’t actually measure feet but instead count revolutions of your spool. So, if your spool is really full, it may be more than 1 foot. Or viceversa, if your spool is not very full, it may be less than 1 foot. You would be amazed how this varies especially during the course of the year and your breaking off fishing line due to tangles etc…

I like take a tape measure and measure out 150 feet in my driveway. Then I pull out by braided line to that spot and then go back and check the line counter reel for accuracy and if needed, make adjustments to the amount of line on the spool (before I cut the line). This will ensure my line counter accuracy.

whittsend

Best way to do it, but it requires two identical setups (reels)…

Spool the first reel BACKWARDS… Spool however much Stealth you want on first… Then tie your connecting knot, and tie on your mono “backing”. Fill this first reel to capacity, or just under.

Next step – take your second setup (reel) and tie on the mono backing tag end that you just put onto your first reel. Reset your linecounter to zero on the second reel, and then spool up your backing (tightly) onto the second reel directly from the first. (Either have someone thumb the spool for resistance, or set the drag tighter… It would suck to get a backlash without even making a cast! )

When you get to your backing/steath connection, note what the linecounter reads. With identical setups (i.e. 2 Accudepth 27’s or similar, same diameter and type of lines, etc) you can now just spool up your backing using the known linecounter setting that you just figured out.

Obviously as Brad mentioned, linecounters are based on revolutions, not really feet, even though though they read in feet. But in this case, that doesn’t matter since you are using identical everything and spooling starting with an empty spool in both cases.

Works slick, and most trollers have multiple setups, so it makes sense to make them as close to identical as possible.

mikeraiche
    Arkansaw Wi

wouldnt you only be able to do this for one reel? Seems like a good idea though

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

wouldnt you only be able to do this for one reel? Seems like a good idea though

All you need to do is record the amount of backing and braid that it took to fill the first reel then apply those amounts to reel #2, #3 and so on. Works slick.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.