HELP!!!! BURNING OIL!

• Jasper

Hi, I need some help. I have a 98 Dodge Durango with a 5.9 l, 360 engineand I’m at 99k miles. I’m burning about a qt of oil every 700 to 1000 miles, if I’m pulling my wheelers it burns a little more. I use Valvoline 10w-30 oil.
    I’m thinking on going strait synthic or slick 50? I was told not to go to synthic, cause it will start to cause problems. Help give me some ideas.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

if you vehicle is equipt with a PCV valve make sure it is good

onestout
    Hudson, WI

What Trumar said first. Synthetics or other stuff won’t hurt or help much.

byrosfishing
    sw. metro

look down the throtle body to see if there is oil sitting on the bottom of the intake. this engine had a problem with sucking in the gasket on the inside of the intake manifold. pm me if you have more ?

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

X2 on the intake, a quick way to check it is to pinch off the pcv hose going to your pcv valve and remove the fresh air hose going to you air cleaner, of the fresh air line creates a suction(vacuum) your lower intake pan gasket needs to be replaced. If it just builds preasure I would try a new pcv valve.
    Just remember to do the test with the engine running.

predator2 jr
    rochester,mn

Quote:

if you vehicle is equipt with a PCV valve make sure it is good

you should be able to shake it, if it rattles it should still be good(not stuck open or closed).

the pcv valve ventilates the crankcase back into your intake manifold and allows any un burnt hydrocarbons(fuel)in the oil to be burned.

if you are running a mineral oil or standard oil you may run into leaks switching to a full synthetic, as the molocules in a synthetic are much thinner than they are in a standard oil. which helps the synthetics lubricate much better. a good place to start is with the pcv valve since that is the cheapest fix. it could also possibly be a head gasket.

Jasper

PVC Valve is new. I’m going to check the suction in the air filter. What about SLICK 50????

Jasper

Ok. I just checked the suction on the air filter and PCV valve. I closed off the PVC valve and covered the the air filter and the PCV valve had a good vacuum but the air filter hose stayed the same. The intake their is no oil present or that I can see.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.