Looking for cell phone info through Verizon.

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’ve been pressured by the War Dept. to get a cell phone. She has a plan throught Verizon and wants me to join on to her plan. I was looking at the EnV Touch, but I know zero about them. Is it worth it to have the web on a phone? From what I saw of their flip-phones, I wasn’t impressed.

Any input will be appreciated. Don’t be afraid to tell me I don’t need a cell phone either. I hate to stray from the status quo…..

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

You need a cell phone but you don’t need internet on it.

herb
    6ft under

Sorry Blue, can’t help with the Verizon info, I’m with that other company.

My son has a phone with internet and yesterday the weather radar really came in handy on the river with storms moving in on us. He even uses it at home to get internet on his pc.

joemama
    North St Paul

its been a good run but bite the bullet and get one..as much b.s. as they are the first time your in a jam they are worth the weight of your boat in gold…internet is nice but not worth the extra $$$ take whatever free phone they offer

glb
    Twin Cities

Having a cell phone can literally be a life saver. It can also be a way for people to pester you, or you pester them ;-)….. I agree that a phone is worthwhile. Only you can say whether you can justify internet service which usually runs a buck or so per day.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I agree with Targa, you need one but not the web.

I don’t envy you with the learning curve you are about to encounter. Remember where the on/off switch is because the War Dept. calls at any time especially while you are 1)landing the biggest fish of your life, 2) hopelessly snagged in your partner’s line or a tree or rock, 3)wrapped up in the motor, 4)catching up on the latest fishing lies with the neighboring boats, 5)launching or landing the boat, 6) any other time when you would rather be left alone. Every call is an emergency including dinnertime. I just shut it off and face the music later–just as I always had. You definitely “need” the phone like you need another anchor. Speaking of which, make sure you get a floating case for it as they tend to end up in the water eventually.

coletrain01
    Rochester MN

i have verizon now and i just got rid of my blackberry tour and i had internet on that. the internet is cool and can be very handy at times for checking email and ect. now that i got rid of the internet and went back to the basic flip phone i dont miss the internet. and the internet alone is $30! if your the type that needs to check your email all the time and cant be without the internet then i would get it but in my opinion it really isnt worth it to me. go to the verizon store and check all the phones out. i have the casio g’zone flip phone, its just the basic flip phone but it is waterproof and is very durable and can withstand a beating (the kind of phone i need) and also has a very handy flashlight built in. motorola make a waterproof and durable phone also called the “barrage” and verizon has that phone also.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I have one of the Verizon Touch phones. They touch option sucks.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Yes Blue you need a cellphone with text messaging and pictures Ya never know when the whitebass will be biting

Dont you want to one of the 1st to know when a turkey gets

predator2 jr
    rochester,mn

if you go with a flip go with the g’zone boulder. they are very durable.i droped mine from more than 20 ft on to concrete and threw it many time and it held up for more than a year. they are also water proof. if you are gonna go with a touch screen and need the internet go with the droid! it seems to be very durable plus it has many option like free gps and google maps and earth!

nascarfan
    stillwater,minnesota

check out the LG Voyager. they FINALY got all the bugs out of it.

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

I really like my Samsung Alias 2. Decent battery and great reception.
    Dream’n

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Never thought I would use the internet on my phone but wanted emails on the go so I went smartphone. I love being able to pull up the weather and a few other quick reference items; although going on forums, surfing for random information, or looking up parts is about as useless as it gets. Slow and the tiny screen will just tick you off.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Just get the Droid and be done with it Blue. The camera and video it captures alone will be a huge benefit to you.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i’m one of the lucky ones that gets to carry two phones everyday, one for work, one for personal . my personal phone is a verizon g’zone phone. if you go with a basic flip phone, get the g’zone phone, it is waterproof, and very rugged. the new one also has an electric compass, thermometer, altimeter, etc.

in regards to a smartphone, i have used a blackberry curve for work for about 4 years now. for just basic smartphone capabilities, email, calendar, contacts, etc, it is very good. but when it comes to using it for me advanced things such as turn by turn gps, internet, apps, it kind of sucks compared to other smart phones. The windows mobile phones were good in their day, but have been passed up by the Droid models. I have used a droid, and the wife and a few friends have them, and they are AWESOME! they integrate well with MS Exchange, if you use gmail, gtalk or any other google apps, they are very well integrated with those. plus they are fast on the internet, and a very fluid, “smart” phone to use. plus i believe the Droid OS is up to 50,000 free apps if i recall correctly, so anything and everything you would want an app for is out there.

the new Droid incredible that came out last week is a sweet phone, it is extremely fast and powerful, has an HD screen, takes 720p video, has an 8 megapixel camera, FM tuner, and a newer updated touchscreen.

If you decide to go with a smartphone, i would seriously look into getting that new Droid Incredible. there is nothing better on the market then it, and that includes the Iphone.

as much as i like having a waterproof phone, the features of a smartphone are too nice to not have, and i will be consolidating both of my phones into one, and going with that new Droid myself.

just my $.02

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Can’t say enough good things about the Droid. Phone, email, calendars… internet. It does it all well. Browsing the internet on it is actually enjoyable. I’m not sure if you need all those capabilities but if you do I wouldn’t think twice about recommending one.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Which Droid did you end up going with James?
    I can’t stand the physical keyboard of the Motorola Droid and the HTC is just a touch keyboard. I just messed with the original Droid from T-Mobile and that has a nice big key-board that I could deal with, the others are to cramped for my fingers.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Pier, PM sent. I started writing about the new Droid Incredible, but decided it didn’t fit in the thread. All I will say here is it is a good looking device and I now wish I had waited…maybe. Probably a little over the top for this thread though, unless you really want the war department to be happy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.