The need to delete Private Messages

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey everyone…

When we moved to this new forum the Private Message (PM) system was slow to catch on and it didn’t really receive too much use. That is no longer the case… to put it mildly. I was just digging around in the database and noticed we have OVER 10,000 saved PM’s just hanging around in the system. These PM’s are messages that have been sent and not deleted for some reason. A single PM doesn’t take up much space…. 10,000+ is another story all together.

This post is a heads up letting everyone know that they need to write down or find another alternate method for permanently storing whatever they might be saving in these OLD messages as I intend to do a little pruning in a couple days to get rid of all messages more than 30 days old or so. That seems reasonable I think and it will tidy things up nicely.

I’ll plan on doing this cleaning house on Wednesday night – late.

And by the way… It’s good to see all the chatter that goes on behind the scenes! We’ve bounced around, shared and read over 40,000 PM’s since our switch to this new forum… we’re quite the chatty group, aren’t we?! To all the anonymous users… register! It’s FREE! There’s a “behind the scenes” community of anglers available to you… but ONLY if you’re a registered member.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I went from 43 saved to 14, now the chips will cool off, i didn’t know this James thanks for the advice

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks Mossy. Even I have some house cleaning to do. 30 PMs for s single person is no biggie but when you spread it out over a couple thousand….!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Or 347 saved pm’s …..

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I’m bad…….a few weeks ago I dumped around 300+

I’ll stay on top of that in the future!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Tonight I deleted all the PM’s in the system older than 01/11/04. I hope I gave everyone enough lead time to save any important info that might have been in those old / ancient messages ‘cuz there’s no way of gettig them back now.

herb
    6ft under

Oh yeah, sure, delete all my important messages! All those phone numbers and names of my girl friends are gone forever now. You know, my memory isn’t what it used to be. I can’t remember their names. I guess now I’ll just have to wait for them to contact me again.
    Still waiting!

Still waiting

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Could have used a little more than 2 days notice, as there was some info and contacts there I wanted. signs of progress.. Jack.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I had a PM from Anna Kournikova with her cell number and where I’m suppose to meet her tomorrow night that was deleted.

herb
    6ft under

Derek, I’ll give her a call and have her get back yo you.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

*sigh*…. this would happen while I was in Cozumel!… I was a culprit… but I had some I wanted to save…. oh well….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.