Mille Lacs fall trip 2004?

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Please help Wade Kuehl and I with a few details for a fall trip.
    1)What are license cost,year? 7 day? 3-5 day?
    2)What full moon bite will be best? Sept 28 or Oct 28th?
    3)Is the day bite any good this time of year?
    4)What side of the lake is in general the best this time of year?
    5)What about lodging,any ideas?
    Thanks from Ryan & Wade.
    Ryan Hale

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

1. Mn DNR website is currently down. They have the fees listed there.
    2.Both dates are good but the Oct bite is usually better.
    3.The later you go in the year, the better the day bite can be. The sand out from Fishers can be hot. Perch fishing is great too that time of year.
    4.There really is no better side of the lake.
    5.Choose which area or side you want to fish and you will have a better idea for lodging. Some ideas could be, fish the eastside and stay at Hunters. Fish the SW side on Indian point and the weeds in the bays and stay at Eddy’s. Or if you plan on coming for the Sept 28th bite I can put you guys up, we have a nice marina like Hunters and Eddys.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Thanks Derek,I’ve been to Scenic Bay,Garrison,Macs Twin Bay,and Eddy’s.I was looking at what side of the lake might be good in late Sept or Oct?Or is the whole lake good this time of year?Are there big eyes caught a night during the full moon at the end of Sept?
    Derek,will you not have rooms at the end of Oct?we would like to do a little night fishing along with some day perch/walleye/smallie fishing.
    Ryan Hale

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Ryan,
    the 2004 regs for non-res costs are annual $34 for individual, family 46, 7 day 24, 24 hour 8.50, 72 hour 20, husband and wife 14 day 35 dollars.
    good luck. Jack.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The resort I’m at shuts down about Oct 5th. Generally the whole lake tends to turn on, the north,south west and east can all be good. The best moon bite is the three to four days leading up the moon and the three to four days following. Thats not written in stone but its a good guideline. Yes the Sept moon bite can be great. It starts with the Aug moon bite and gets better and better.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Ryan,

The best side of the lake is the side that isn’t getting blown to smithereenes….plan on trailering your boat to the side that not necessaraily is the calmest but is not going to cause damage to you or your equiptment…I remember seeing James’s trailer smashed up pretty good from landing it with the wind at his back…

I agree with Derick….October would be my choice for a better bite…I’m planning on bringing my wife up the end of September and then returning in November…I’m hoping that September sports some weather that would be more suitable for my wife….

Good luck !! It’s allways fun to plan a fishing trip !!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Guys, I’ll have an annual MN family license. I think I can pass Ryan off as my wife and save him a few bucks!

Thanks for all the info guys! Derek, we’ll have to chat with you about that lodging. I am pumped for a Fall Mille Lacs trip!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Wade Please take lots of pictures of Ryan in that bonnet !! I’ll pay for them !!!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I’m thinkng of the late Sept bite is what we will go with this year,maybe late Oct in the future.
    Derek I’ll give you a call in the near future.
    Dave Koonce,where are you going to saty in Sept?
    Wade why couldn’t I pass for your wife?Doesn’t MN have same sex marriages?
    Which brings me to this.Wade doesn’t want this brought up but what about the drum bite this time of year?
    thanks for all the help.
    Ryan Hale

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’m planning on staying at Izatys….Mostly because my wife is my boat partner and if the weather is to nasty…well lets just say we can watch the fire in the fire place !!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Whats the matter with H20’s (Hook’s) honey moon shack there Dave? Aw…….I quess Izaty’s would be a nicer for you two………

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Wade and Ryan, does your wives know about you two? Dave, becarefull of those fireplaces, they are very romantic and my first child was conceived in front of one so I know about them fireplaces. Yes, planning a fishing trip can be fun. Just make sure you invite the fish to come along and at that time of year they should be there. Have Fun.
    Thanks, Bill

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Bill !! That is WAY to much information for me …

Bobber !! I figured that once a year , imposing on you guys up there would be more than anyone should be subject to

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I’m thinking I want out of this conversation. I’m learning things about Dave, Ryan, and Bill that I really don’t want to know.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

If it were me, I would plan to be mobile. As someone mentioned above, the wind will dictate which side of the lake you can fish more than anything. Personally I would plan to stay on the west side, since a NW wind seems to be most common. It’s truely a blast up there that time of year.

My annual trip with James is 4 days after the full moon in Oct, it could be a cold one this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.