90 etech and 90 Yamaha 4 stroke

• fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I have spent the last 2 days researching these 2 motors. I can find some people that don’t like the etech fairly easy but can’t really find anyone that doesn’t like the Yamaha. The price is the same between the 2 motors and will be going on an alumacraft Dom. sport.

I know the difference between 2 and 4 and all the noise, oil, etc. The most important thing for me is long term durability. I don’t want to be taking the motor in for issues. I just want something that will run for 15 years as I plan to keep the boat that long. (atleast for now!)

Thoughts anyone? I am struggling with this decision!!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You’ll be hard pressed to find a more durable, reliable motor than the Yamaha.

wap
    SE minnesota

I would buy the Etec you wont be disappointed alot of people are Etec Bashers and most of them have never owned one and are Yamaha owners.Talk to people who have them they all make good motors and all have some problems sometimes its really just preference good luck on your decision.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

My personal choice would be the Yammy 4 stroke. I have never owned an Etech or for that matter a Yammy 4 stroke… but I have owned a Mercury 2 stroke and I currently own a Johnson 4 stroke and I will never own anything but a 4 stroke again. I don’t think you can beat a 4 stroke on a fishing rig and I have heard alot of good things about the Yammy 4 strokes. Good luck with you decision.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

I can find some people that don’t like the etech fairly easy but can’t really find anyone that doesn’t like the Yamaha

You know the old saying…Where there is smoke there is fire.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have owned Mercs, Johnsons, and Yamahas…nothing against an E Tec but my FL 115 Yamaha 4 stoke has been absolutely flawless and trouble free for 9 years of Guiding…March thru November.

skribnod
    Cuba city, Wisconsin

My next motor will definately be a 4 stroke after my experience with etec’s. Maybe I just purchased a faulty etec, but this is the second time to the shop within 22 hours on the motor. I was informed a few hours ago that the oil pump went out and needs replacing. My concern is that by the time the warning buzzer went off, was there motor damage already? I do have the 5 year warranty but being down a week or two at a time is a real pain. After $10,000 you would think it would have been several hundred hours before a breakdown. Go for the 4 stroke…regardless of make or model. Just my 2 cents.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Never had an Etech but like you said its easy to find people that do not like them but it is hard to find people that don’t like their Yamaha. I did the same research before I went with a Yamaha and found your same info. Yamaha = bullet proof is what I have found. I have had two Yamaha 4st’s and they have been flawless. Now my new motor only has about 20 hours on it but turn the key and it goes…. quiet & fuel efficient… I love my Yamaha.

navigator175

I have a 2007 115 e-tec on a navigator 175 sport. I love it. I have had no issues at all. Very good on gas and oil.will have to take it in at the end of this summer for 3 year maintainance i think that is around $200.00. What is the cost of maintaining the yamaha and winterizing for three years. I usually end up winterizing at least three times every year at a cost of zero.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

I have a Yamaha 4 stroke and I’m never going back. The water pump went out and the motor shut itself down to prevent damage. Wonderful addition to the motor. Quiet, and extremely fuel efficient. I don’t think you would ever be sorry.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I have run into many accounts of frustration from friends that own E-tecs. I also have friends that absolutely Love them. And I have to agree that they are truly monsters when they are running correctly.

I own a Yami….and love it. I can’t speak of any problems since purchasing it in 2003.

FDR

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Yamaha, mainly because a salesman tried to jam a E-Tec down my throat.

col._klink
    St Paul

Took the 90 E tec out of the pull barn this weekend. Hooked up the hose to the back of the motor fired right up! Love that motor.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

I have a 2007 115 e-tec on a navigator 175 sport. I love it. I have had no issues at all. Very good on gas and oil.will have to take it in at the end of this summer for 3 year maintainance i think that is around $200.00. What is the cost of maintaining the yamaha and winterizing for three years. I usually end up winterizing at least three times every year at a cost of zero.

I change my own oil/filters at seasons end(60$) and add Sea Foam to my gas tank before the last trip out… I have never done any other maintenance, save a squirt of grease on the couple fittings.

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

I previously owned a 75 ETEC and the motor was flawless. The best part was no cost when it came to winterization. AS I have nothing bad to say about the ETEC I always say I will buy nothing but a 4 stroke. Good luck and let us know your decision.

Chad

muskyman20

personally i own a 90hp etec and i really love it! it starts right up every time and has been real good on gas. i have never owned a yamaha but all i know is i will never buy another merc after my last one. i dont think you’ll be dissapointed with the etec at all. good luck!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Tiller or wheel boat?

If its a tiller Yamaha has a better set up.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Tiller or wheel boat?

If its a tiller Yamaha has a better set up.

Ill second that. That Yamaha tiller arm is made for trolling. Etechs are great motors when they run. Cant remember if it was the manufacture rep or my dealer that recommended selling mine to someone I didnt know.

Get a Yamaha.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

I run a 70 yamaha 2 stroke, and could not be happier. i know its apples and oranges compared to what you’re looking at, but i really like what they are doing with their outboards, and would not hesitate to buy another one.

with that being said though, i have never run an e-tec…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.